Mobil1 15w-50, 5191miles, 02 Civic Si, built motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Gibbs will use it in million dollar race cars for 500+miles in engines that produce 800+hp in the heat of Daytona and Taladega but it cannot work in a 230hp engine who rarely sees full output compared to daily driving conditions? Gibbs loses thousands of dollars if an engine fails and you think they will sacrifice quality and risk that?

I guess you did not know that race engines are torn down after the race? Racing oil is thick enough to prevent a catastrophic failure during the race, but thin as much as possible to increase HP. You can think about them as disposable engines.

Originally Posted By: chunky

Which 10w-40 HD are you referring to? Mobil1 only has one x-40 oil that has a starting HTHS of >4, that's the 10w-40

He was refering to 15W40 HDEO like Delo, Delvac, and Rotella. They are all above 4 (HTHS) and work rather well as proved by all the tracks doing 1,000,000s miles.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: chunky

Which 10w-40 HD are you referring to? Mobil1 only has one x-40 oil that has a starting HTHS of >4, that's the 10w-40

He was refering to 15W40 HDEO like Delo, Delvac, and Rotella. They are all above 4 (HTHS) and work rather well as proved by all the tracks doing 1,000,000s miles.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I would think a diesel oil would be well suited to my application given that diesels are high compression and run with loose piston to wall clearances. There is some audible piston noise on a cold start that persists until the oil temp gets to about 150.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

So 20wt oils can handle 500+hp Maybachs, ferraris and whatever else AEHaas drives but it can't handle your piddly civic? I find that hard to believe.

500+ hp from a V8 with lots of surface area, low tension valve spring, and low compression engine is relatively mild and piddly compare to this civic engine.

An engine that was originally not designed for high stress operation but modified to be one do require a thicker oil, especially if it sees track and is shifted at 9k rpm, high tension valve spring, higher compression, modified air/fuel/timing map (stock map won't work), and lots of EP additives.

Honda do specify 30wt oil for their higher performance engines of the same series (i.e. Type S and turbo charged version). 50wt may be overkill, but if it reduces the chances of potential problem, its an insurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back