Mobil1 10w30, 6212 miles Toyota 4-Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil should have been destroyed! This interval started in February with severe service inclusive of 1-2 mile trips, long trips towing and extreme city conditions through the brutal summer. The last few months have been high speed, highway cruises. This oil was in use almost 9 months. These motors like to cook oil in the heads. This motor uses a quart every 3000-3500 miles of synthetic. If dino is used minimal consumption. 15w50 was added.

Filter is a Wix. 87 octane gas. Fuel adds include Lucas UCL at 6x and Techron 1x.

This oil was dumped in favor of 5w40. After seeing this report I will end up going back with the 10w30 more than likely.

-

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 20500
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 100600
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Flashpoint seems low and fuel dilution may have been from the earlier brutal driving...should the fuel have burnt off?

Are the plugs/wires in good condition?

Wow. Another crappy M1 result. Look at that outta sight iron!
rolleyes.gif
You must panic now -- I predict this engine will fail catastrophically somewhere between 1 and 2 million miles.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

This is a 100k mile and I'm guessing 8-10 year old engine that's putting some fuel into the oil, and the oil still looks like the stuff that some of our more OCD members drain from their new Toyotas after only 3-4k miles of use. Just keep after the source of the fuel, and this truck could very well outlive you! If you ever get tired of it, please send me a PM!!!

EDIT: Amkeer, one gripe: if you must use an image to display your UOA report (versus typing in the data as the board rules prescribe
rolleyes.gif
), use a graphics or photo editing program to resize the image down to around 600 pixels wide. That will eliminate the "huge image" problem that makes everyone have to scroll right and left to read the posted responses.
cheers.gif

Sorry for the image issues!
dunno.gif

When this oil was drained it was extremely dirty. I actually anticipated getting a less than stellar report because of the color. Just goes to show you that color does not equal condition.

Plugs were replaced at 80000 miles. Wife has a lead foot,ooops here she comes.......

The big question is will the 5w40 do better than this?

Maybe the two quarts of make-up oil? I did miss that first time around. Maybe a simple leak? This engine is the old 3VZ-FE, not the still-made 1MZ-FE (both are 3.0L). The 3VZ has been out of production for years. That, plus the 100k miles leads me to conclude: older engine. I'm guessing leak because the rest of the numbers look so darned good. Insols are only 2/3 of flag level, so why would that be an issue?

OK Terry, no fair, you've dangled the bait, now, what is it that's screaming from this one that us mere mortal amateurs have missed???
cheers.gif

posted by Amkeer:
quote:

15w50 was added.

I see the report shows that 2 quarts of oil was added to the engine,
were both quarts 15W50 oil?

Maybe the oil was thinned out some with the fuel dilution?
and the 15W-50 brought the viscosity of the oil up?

The oil did serve you well.

Did you get a TBN of the oil sample?

If not, I am surprised that Blackstone recommended running this oil longer without knowing the TBN reading.

I also missed the 2qt of 15W-50. Duh! Sometimes I read the computer screen too fast....As Terry says (basically) for free....you get what you pay for! Something about a printed piece of paper I read with more detail.

Still, wear is good. I would do an AutoRx and yes I do think a 5W-40 or 15W-40 in Florida would do a bit better.

The motor has a weep at the main. Maybe a drop every 2 days, but no leaks. Makeup includes one quart of 15w50 and one quart of 10w30. I tow a 1500lb 6x10 enclosed trailer with this truck and thats empty. With the trailer full its approaching max weight.

No tbn since the oil will be dumped at 6-9 months regardless. This oil was in use 9 months so its a good bet that I can run it that amount again.

Why would solids be high???
dunno.gif

I am torn! I will more than likely go back with 10w30 when this interval is done. Its hard to beat these numbers!

Hmmm...

What could Terry be concerned about.... I remember him pointing out this thread as well.

If I had to guess, would it be the flashpoint at the minimum level and a oil at 30wt despite having 1 quart of 15w-50 having been added?

Can anybody shed some light on his concerns? I'm eager to learn...

Jim,Pablo, Bill, you are all on the right track.

Copper,iron,flash,fuel/chem dilution/blowby and insolubles are not consistent with the total signature and oil profile.

Note that the Lucas is a player with the blowby issue.

Techron does not react with bearing/bushing materials like Lucas does.

One correction this is the 3vze engine. I don't see a problem here guys???? What am I missing? This engine is 11 years old. I purchased it at 58000 miles in 2000.

Posted by Terry:

quote:

Note that the Lucas is a player with the blowby issue. Techron does not react with bearing/bushing materials like Lucas does

Terry,

If my memory serves me this is not the first time you have posted less then positive information about the use of Lucas additives,
correct?

I do not use Lucas, and do not plan to but think that anyone who spends some time reading the UOAs would know Lucas it not exactly stellar stuff...

By the way Terry,
I plan to use your services for the next UOAs I have on both of my cars
grin.gif

Bill

Bill, in an engine that is fuel diluting and possibly adding some abraded wear from either dirt or chem issues can have exacerbated wear trends if the chemistry of a fuel add is reactive with the mettalurgy.

Doesn't matter what brand it is , its the chemistry issues I am concerned about. I think that Lucas is reformed many of its fuel adds for that reason but I have not been paid to test for that so I can only share what I see in many oil analysis trends.

Thanks for your support, Bill.

Terry

Well I am extremely happy with this report. The numbers here are lower than many of the UOA posted on the board for passenger vehicles with half the mileage. This TRUCK is a workhorse and with these numbers the engine has virtually no wear in 9 months of brutality. I will continue to use the Lucas as I have since both this UOA and the one on my Tacoma are very good.

Of note: My vehicle log indicates that Seafoam treatment was done 60 miles prior to this OCI. It was added through the ventilation hose to throttle body. The intake hose was replaced prior to OCI since it was not pliable and starting to crack.

I have almost 25000 miles on these NGK plugs. These will be replaced as well as the wires since the wires are original. This will be done prior to the arrival of blast furnace (summer). The only other item that will be added is a tranny cooler. Coolant was just changed in February.

I will try to take this interval 1 year or 7500 miles. Unless of course something or someone indicates it should be sooner.

[ November 16, 2005, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back