Mobil1 0W40 or mix 10w30/15w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, here is my situation.
Engine: Honda Prelude 2.2L H22A DOHC VTEC 200hp about 70K km on the engine. I've been using M1 5w30 since second oil change. The issue with this engine is that it uses oil while in VTEC but it uses it in a weird way. It will not burn much if any oil until 4K km no matter how hard I drive it and then it seems to use about 1L every 1-1.5K km after 4K km. I switched to M1 10w30 last summer but still experienced similar results. My driving style usually is longer over 20km trips, about 60% hwy. I also rev the engine to redline 7500rpm a lot and attend track lapping days where it's pedal to the metal all day.
grin.gif

So I've been contemplating for the summer using a either a mixture of 10w30/15/w50, maybe at a 4L:1L ratio or try to get some 0w40 which right now is hard because I can't find it in Toronto. I'm leaning towards sourcing the 0w40 seeing how it's made for tougher
dunno.gif
European standards..
What do you guys think?

[ January 13, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

What do I think? Home brewing oils (even of the same brand) isn't a good idea. Period. Pick one or the other and use it--or if you can find the 0w40, use that. But don't try to do Mobil's job for them. They know more about blending oils than you do.
wink.gif

I've just changed the oil in my van to the 0w40 Mobil 1 (after about 3500 miles on 5w40 Rotella T Syn) so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does.

I don't see it as home brewing if you mix two oils together that are basically the same, just different viscosities. A lot of LS1 f-body owners I know like to mix 15w50 Mobil 1 with 10w30 Mobil 1, it helps to alleviate some of their oil burning and piston slap issues. Mobil claims that mixing with their oils is totally safe and I tend to agree. Al recently posted one of his analysis reports on here with a mixture of 15w50 and 10w30 Mobil 1 and the report looked good, no problems on it at all.

Considering how hard 0w40 is to find up here (it's only sold at MB or BMW dealers and is very $$$$$) I see no problem with this setup.

As Patman said I hve mixed the two with good results and the vehicle uses less oil. Additives are compatable and I assume the VI improvers (if any would be compatable). I understand it is not the preferred route to take though. How about Delvac 1? (5W-40)

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
What do I think? Home brewing oils (even of the same brand) isn't a good idea. Period. Pick one or the other and use it--or if you can find the 0w40, use that. But don't try to do Mobil's job for them. They know more about blending oils than you do.
wink.gif

I've just changed the oil in my van to the 0w40 Mobil 1 (after about 3500 miles on 5w40 Rotella T Syn) so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does.

But the Mobil Enginneers gives the thumbs up for mixing he 10/30 and 15/50 Supersyns,all they said was it would be a non API oil and like Patman posted,some good analysis of the mixes which I plan to do this summer,,bethcha it works A-OK
smile.gif

[ January 13, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
As Patman said I hve mixed the two with good results and the vehicle uses less oil. Additives are compatable and I assume the VI improvers (if any would be compatable). I understand it is not the preferred route to take though. How about Delvac 1? (5W-40)

I was thinking about that too.. but it's not very easy to find in Canada and if I do find it, it's expensive. If I can't find 0w40 in the next month or two, I'll try the mix.

Try the new Benz dealer at Mavis and Britannia, they most likely have it. And while you're there, stop off at Krispy Kreme around the corner and bring me a dozen donuts!
smile.gif

[ January 14, 2003, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman those doughnuts are killer!
nono.gif
Waaay too much sugar/fat.. ugh..

I'm hoping I can pick up some 0w40 during my trip to the Detroit NAIAS this Sunday. Are there any stores you guys know close to this venue that stock it?

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
nono.gif

Heh, I clicked thinking this was turning into an API bash-fest.
smile.gif

Site sponsor AVLUBE also has M1 0W40, but the border thing would probably make costs prohibitive. Just in case...

David

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
nono.gif
Waaay too much sugar/fat.. ugh..

I'm hoping I can pick up some 0w40 during my trip to the Detroit NAIAS this Sunday. Are there any stores you guys know close to this venue that stock it?

I got a free dozen donuts from Krispy Kreme over the holidays, and ate about 9 of them myself! I wonder how I gained 7lbs during this time?
dunno.gif
tongue.gif

I think there are a few Autozones in Detroit so you should be able to find the 0w40 while you are there. If not, just go with the mixture and you'll be fine.

You should pick up some Bosch premium oil filters while you're over there too, since we can't get em here.

Problem is we're taking a bus straight to the venue. Anyone from Detroit here that knows if there is an autozone close within walking distance? I don't want to get mugged..
tongue.gif
patriot.gif

Last spring when Mobil was sticking to the line that 0-40 was only available from MB dealers, my local parts house was able to begin stocking it for me. If the distribution has been widened to include the AutoZone chain, I suspect that it would be much easier for the average parts house to obtain today. You might try asking around locally before you travel around the world for the stuff.

oh yeah,
from what I gather from contact with the Mobil tech guys over the past year and info from this and other sites, the M1 0-30 and 0-40 oils are more advanced than the other grades. So I think you would be better off using 0-40 instead of mixing 2 other SAE grades.

Since you live in Canada, I'd try running some Delvac 1, 5w-40, which you can buy in Walmart. It's about 36 CDN for 4 liters, which is an excellent price for an oil of this quality. In real money,
wink.gif
that's about $22.60/gallon.

Delvac 1 is formulated for use in commercial engines that are run until they are rebuilt, so they have really done their homework on this formulation. Somebody with a passenger car rarely keeps it long enough to determine the effect of oil selection on durability. Mobil 1 doesn't have to be as good or expensive, so it isn't ....

I have see standardized API, "SJ" test data on both Mobil 1, 0w-40 and Delvac 1, 5w-40. Delvac 1 outperforms it in most of the tests for wear, deposits and oil consumption.

The Noack volatility for the M1, 0w-40 is going to be significantly higher than for their 10w-30. Your oil consumption may actually go up with the 0w-40 in a mechanically sound engine.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The Noack volatility for the M1, 0w-40 is going to be significantly higher than for their 10w-30. Your oil consumption may actually go up with the 0w-40 in a mechanically sound engine.

So would you suggest I stick with the 10w30/15w50. Problem is as I start to use oil later in the interval, it becomes cost ineffective to go longer. I usually go 5-7K km because a) the car is driven very hard and b) towards the end I'm using 1L/1000-1500km so it makes more sense to change it and not burn any for 4K km. Odd, I know.
smile.gif

Ferrari, I thought I posted this already...but, here goes...

Seems like Can. M-B dealers are out to lunch on the issue...weird considering the AMG lineup...but, I too have been offered the Q.S. 5-40 by another location.

The only dealer offering the 0-40 is the Porsche dealership. I bought mine at Downtown fine cars on Avenue Rd.. But, the best bet is at Imperial Oil Canada...somewhere at Finch and 427??? You'll need to look it up....they sell directly to the public, but in cases...so you'll have to buy a 12L case?..but, the price is reasonable...eg. $6/L (if I remember correctly) comp. to $12 at the Porsche stealer. This is where I bought M-1 Synth. Gear lube as I couldn't find it anywhere.

And Patman, I was a NAIAS on Saturday 11! Great stuff...should have known you'd be attending. This is my third year straight. Don't know of any Autozone's or Advance Auto places in the area. Didn't see any. You can search on their respective websites....but, usually these things don't really exist in downtown areas...but, check it out...you could always take a cab to the store.

Quick Lude,

I'd honestly try the Delvac 1 the next time around - I think it will perform at least as well as what you're doing now and most likely better. The Redline 10w-30 also has a very low evaporation rate, so I might try that as well.

I know Redline's expensive, but you get what you pay for when it comes to synlubes ....

In Ottawa Canada, I can get Mobil1 0w30 or 0w40 at:

Esso Warehouse (Imperial Oil Canada)
1961 Merivale Road
Ottawa (Nepean)
(613)723-2533

You must buy a case of 6 (1 litre bottles). I think I paid $6.25cdn/litre ($37.50cdn/case). In Toronto, I'd check with Imperial Oil Canada (Esso).

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

Do you have some numbers to back this statement up or is this just your opinion? The 0w40 is an ACEA A3 rated oil, which means it will have a Noack rating of less than or equal to 13%. The 10w30 is an A5 rated oil, which carries the same Noack requirement of less than or equal to 13%.

Given that the 0w40 has more ester in the base oil blend, I'd be willing to bet that its Noack numbers are BETTER than the Mobil 1 10w30.

[ January 14, 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back