Mobil1 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w oils were never marketed right IMO from the start. Mobil was the first company to make a 0w-20 PCMO and those that had cars that called for 5w-20 shyed away from it because they didn't know what the 0w actually meant. And of course, Joe Schmoe at the auto parts store didn't either.

In engine development programs we have seen more sheering in oils designated as energy conserving with the donut on the bottle. It is not much but consistent. We developed engine mods for the government that would allow a GM V8 to run a designated amount of time with the cooling and oil systems compromised. We were paid to test a bunch of additives for the oil and not one of them showed any benefit. I wonder if energy conserving oils should be avoided for severe service. I’m no chemist but I think the sheering is part of the design.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
In engine development programs we have seen more sheering in oils designated as energy conserving with the donut on the bottle. It is not much but consistent. We developed engine mods for the government that would allow a GM V8 to run a designated amount of time with the cooling and oil systems compromised. We were paid to test a bunch of additives for the oil and not one of them showed any benefit. I wonder if energy conserving oils should be avoided for severe service. I’m no chemist but I think the sheering is part of the design.

I think it is to some extent, good point. There can be a sacrifice in protection with some oils in "some", not all applications. Racing for example. Look at how Redline builds there oils compared to others.

I think the sheering is part of the design.

I do believe so as well.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy
I think the sheering is part of the design.

I do believe so as well.

In terms of Ht/Hs protection, it's on par with most 20 wts, meaning the Corvette spec could be met with a 20wt.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil redesigned the bottles for the 0w-30 and 0w-20.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx

I like the 0w-30 specs. HT/HS of only 2.99 (better fuel economy the lower the HT/HS) and yet it still meets the Corvette spec. Depending on the application this could be a good thing.

As do I; HT/HS rating and OTT specification compliance is what attracts me.

BTW, nice shade of green. Me like!
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah I like the 0w30 specs. Low HT/HS for more Hp and mpg and it still meets the Corvette spec.

Anyone have any final thoughts on SL vs SM? iirc, most Mobil 1 oils took a spec hit w/SM. 0w-30 did not get hit as bad, but it looks weaker in PP and VOA, afaik. I hoarded a bunch of the SL that I will be using up soon.

My local NAPA store had an abundance of 0W-30 SL just before I switched to that viscosity from Mobil 1 5W-20 SM.

What was readily apparent of that SL, was no indication on bottles of meeting Ford specification. This is very important as I have a Ford. I subsequently ordered a case of SM which meet Ford specification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Anyone have any final thoughts on SL vs SM? iirc, most Mobil 1 oils took a spec hit w/SM. 0w-30 did not get hit as bad, but it looks weaker in PP and VOA, afaik. I hoarded a bunch of the SL that I will be using up soon.

I wonder the same thing. I have some SL remaining in the shrine and I'd like to try the newest formula, if it's worth it, of course.

The 0W30 just came into our local Wal-Mart this week. Both in qts and in 5 qt. containers. Interestingly, while at Checker Auto Parts this week, I noticed that they also have the green M1 0W30, at $4.04 per qt. based on the shelf label. When they rang it up, it came up $6.59 per qt. but they gave me the $4.04 price since the shelf label had the correct description and correct SKU. That worked out to $20.20 as compared to Wal-Mart's $23.xx You might check your local Kragen, Checker, Shuck's.

DEWFPO

Originally Posted By: BerndV
In response to the OP, both 0W-20 and 0W-30 are now widely available at Wal Mart in 5 quart jugs priced at $22.96.

Pretty cool that they put the 0w20 in a 5qt Jug.

I just got done putting M1 0w30 green cap in my 2005 mercury grand marquis a hour ago. used a napa gold filter

got it at fleet farm for $5.19 a quart

we will see how it goes

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

I wonder the same thing. I have some SL remaining in the shrine and I'd like to try the newest formula, if it's worth it, of course.

Came accross 6-12 qrts of the old SL at NAPA here if anyone wants me to grab it for them.

I just put in our new CX-7. have about 2500 miles on the oil now. It seems to run just fine. Some observations, one the color seems more stable with this oil than the previous Castrol non-synthetic and two I have not used any oil, same location on the dipstick. The CX-7 is a turbo and seemed to really change the color of the conventional oils in the vehicle when new. The turbo does get very hot so I wanted a more robust oil. I wanted to try the PP 0W-30 but can't find it my area. I have used M1 in various vehicles for more than 15 years and have never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back