Mobil1 0W30 vs Mobil1 0W40 in a 2002 Audi allroad with the 2.7t engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this board and I think it's great! Anyway, I have a 2002 Audi allroad with the 2.7t (twin turbo) engine. The factory specifies 0W30 or 5W30 oil with a 10K miles change interval. I changed to Mobil1 0W30 at 5K miles. I've read alot on this board about Mobil1 0W40 as being a great oil. How does it compare to Mobil1 0W30? I cannot find 0W40 available locally (Olympia, Washington) and can find 0W30 only at NAPA stores. Which oil do you suggest for my application?

Thank-you.

Welcome aboard Williar, and what a nice car.
If you have any Auto Zone Auto parts stores in your area I believe you should find the 0W40.
With the twin turbos I think you will find the 0W40 offers better overall portection.

Good Day,
Steven
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
Welcome aboard Williar, and what a nice car.
If you have any Auto Zone Auto parts stores in your area I believe you should find the 0W40.
With the twin turbos I think you will find the 0W40 offers better overall portection.

Good Day,
Steven
tongue.gif

We don't have AutoZone stores in this area; I've never seen one in the Northwest, even. We have Schucks, Target, and WalMart - none of which carry Mobil1 0Wanything.

How does Mobil1 0W40 differ from Mobil1 0W30?

[ August 23, 2002, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: williar ]

Mobil 1 Family;
0W30 REALLY Optimised for Fuel Economy
5W30 Optimised for Fuel Economy
10W30 Slightly Optimised for Fuel Economy
0W40 Optimised for low wear with long drains
15W50 Optimised for high loads

I would not recommend more than one step above recommended viscosities, so 0W40 would be the highest I'd go. If you can't find it in you area, and don't mind ordering it, go to to the BOBISTHEOILGUY's Order Page and look under ExxonMobil.

Failing that, I'd run 10W30.

Edit: Mobil states that 0W40 can be used where 0W30 and 5W30 are required.

[ September 01, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
Mobil 1 Family;
0W30 REALLY Optimised for Fuel Economy
5W30 Optimised for Fuel Economy
10W30 Slightly Optimised for Fuel Economy
0W40 Optimised for low wear with long drains
15W50 Optimised for high loads

I would not recommend more than one step above recommended viscosities, so 0W40 would be the highest I'd go. If you can't find it in you area, and don't mind ordering it, go to to the BOBISTHEOILGUY's Order Page and look under ExxonMobil.

Failing that, I'd run 10W30.

I agree here. You could also consider Mobil's Delvac 1 5W-40. Welcome to the board.
cheers.gif

Nice car!

That engine has performance in the M/C range. If it were mine, I'd use Redline 10w40.

Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 would be my second choice.

I live in a small town of 14,000 folks and can buy both locally. Olympia should have somebody that sells one or the other.

I have been using Mobil 1 0-40 since I found out about it earlier this year, & after I read about the various engines failures using 5-30 in the Contour SVT engine. (www.Contour.org)
I believe it is the best of both worlds - good cold weather start-ups and better engine protection at operating temp for long life. My local parts supplier that I have dealt with for years was able to get it for me from his usual warehouse. Even though the Mobil 1 site says its only available from MB BMW etc dealers. My guy now stocks it on the shelf because of the increasing demand.
Because of the naturally high VI of syn I am not concerned about the vis spread being too wide.

Just went in to my parts man this afternoon for some PureONE filters and whaddya know, saw M1 0W40 in a six pack of one litre bottles. M1 here to is usually 5W50 but he said customers asked for 0W40 so he's stocking it. Selling well too!

It sounds to me like Audi North America designed that owners manual for American CAFE standards. The Mobil 1 0W40 is their European formula and exceeds Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, VW, and Porsche standards. I don't believe the 0W30 and 5W30 does.

George: Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back