Mobil1 0w30 in a Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, I picked up a case of mobil1 0w30 for a good price. This is supposed to be thicker than the 5/10w30 right? I've been running 15w40 Delvac but my fuel economy is waaaay down. This oil should do alright right?

--Matt

It's a tiny bit thicker, but only by about 0.3cst. Problem is, this oil can thin out much easier, so after 500 miles it's probably at the same point as the others, and then it just gets thinner after that. M1 0w30 is not really an impressive oil. If you want a 0w30, Amsoil or German Castrol are your two best choices.

hmm, I wonder if I can take it back to another store and pick up some german castrol(this place was out of it). I picked up a K&N oil filter too. I'll keep ya posted. Is M1 10w30 better than the 0w30?

--Matt

I'd go with the 10W-30 M 1. An alternative would be to mix in a quart of 15W-50 M 1. That will insure that the stuff doesn't shear below a 30 wt.

[ August 13, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

This is a 170,000 mile engine. I ended up getting more Mobil1 0w40, I've had good luck with it in the past. I couldn't find a place locally that had it in stock, the people at all 3 auto zones said they can't keep it in stock. I put in the 0w40 and a K&N oil filter, I'll sample at 5k and continue to use it unless the analysis results recommend otherwise.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
hmm, I wonder if I can take it back to another store and pick up some german castrol(this place was out of it). I picked up a K&N oil filter too. I'll keep ya posted. Is M1 10w30 better than the 0w30?

--Matt

Where in Ohio have you found german castrol?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:

--Matt

Where in Ohio have you found german castrol?

...a new state added to the German Castrol availability list? The plot thickens...er...becomes more viscous...

If you have a rather new engine that's spec'd for 0w20 or 5w30, the M1 0w30 should work well for 5K miles, but I wouldn't use it much beyond that.

I ran it in my newer turbo 2.7t spec'd for xW30, xW40 for 5k miles with good results (see UOA section).

I've seen it at autozone on numerous occasions. They actually have both 0w30's.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back