Mobil1 0w20 Disappearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal? I can't find Mobil1 0w20 anymore. I've been using 5w30 in my 03 Accord V6 that asks for 5w20 since I live in middle Georgia. It's getting cold, so I wanted to get closer to recommended, but everyone only has 0w30 now. So basically, there's no 20 wt Mobil1 in the area.

On a side note, Honda's oil filters have gotten even smaller now. They said it was so they could fit in the newer cars along with the old... They're about the same size as the "starter" filter that came from factory on my 2003. I'd say 30% smaller. (30% less filtering?
frown.gif
) Can anyone recommend a good brand (that's easy to get ahold of)?

In my wifes '03 Accord 2.4L(4cyl) I had the same thing.

K&N's web site called for an HP-1010 which is way smaller than the '02 and earlier Accord's 2.3L filters (HP-1004).

So I went to Honda and the parts guy said (and showed me) that the earlier Honda & aftermarket filters fit just fine.

They have the same base diameter and gasket diameter.

So I just use the K&N HP-1004, and I get a bigger filter.....Maybe it's the same for the V6, call Honda!

Darryl

Check out autobarn online if you can't get mobil 1 0W-20 locally, I have ordered it from there before, we having some availability trouble here in Sacramento valley as well on this oil for our 02 CRV.

Believe it or not this oil still has not shown up in Ontario! Not in the two biggest stores which sell oil here anyways (Walmart and Canadian Tire)

spleck, I guess all things are relative. Your idea of cold is Michigans idea of skiny dipping weather! It does not get cold enough in Gergia to need anything thiner then 10W30! You will be fine with your synthetic 5W30!

I spent 8 years in Georgia so I feel preety safe with this advice! 6 years at Ft. Benning and 2 years at Ft. Stewart.

quote:

Believe it or not this oil still has not shown up in Ontario! Not in the two biggest stores which sell oil here anyways (Walmart and Canadian Tire)

Yea that is hard to believe since they have had it here in Texas (where we really need it) for at least 6 months now.
lol.gif

[ November 20, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: khager ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
spleck, I guess all things are relative. Your idea of cold is Michigans idea of skiny dipping weather! It does not get cold enough in Gergia to need anything thiner then 10W30! You will be fine with your synthetic 5W30!

Unless you're a polar bear, I wouldn't be skinny dipping in 30F weather. I don't mind using 5w30 instead of 5w20, but I'm not going to 10w30. From my understanding 5w30 is a very stable formulation. I was wanting 0w20 for the combination of cold start and fuel economy. Plus there's the theory that the better flow of the 20 wt means quicker heat transfer and therefore cooler operation.

I guess I should also add that I live in an apartment, therefore my car sleeps outside and is cold in the morning.

[ November 20, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: spleck ]

spleck, surely you do not expect it to get below -10F in Georgia. Last december I was laying on my back on a concrete drive way a few minutes away from Savahna in shorts and a tank top changeing oil. While my friends in MIchigan were being treated to an artic blast of -20F with windchill!

Again seeing how synthetic 10W30 works in these temps. they will surely work in your mild winter! THe U.S. Army Artic oil for true "Artic Conditions" is a 5W30!

It is also true that 5W30 will also work but it is not as consistent as 10W30 and it is gross overkill!!

Prior to M1's reformulation both the 5W30 and 10W30 were barely 30 wt. oils. Both have been known in the past to shear down to 20Wt.

P.S. 5W20 oils are not all they are craked up to be. Their have been concerns by JASO of premature timeing chain failures due to 5W20. So be careful lest you become a victim of C.A.F.E.!!!

On the filters, I had the exact opposite happen. For some reason, the dude at Parts America gave me filter number for my 02 Accord V6. Looked smaller from my memory, but I said that these guys can't be wrong. Wellllllll, when I took the old filter off and grabbed the new one, low and behold it was smaller, didn't even cover the whole gasket base, but it fit. After re-gaining my cool and talked to another person on the phone, sure enough, that was the filter for a 03 Accord, V6....***????
Filter got dirty so I can't take it back. The 03 filter, I use Purolator, was L14610. The 02 is the L14459, or the PL14459, the blue micron one. The will interchange. Same engine. Anybody got any ideas on what I can use the L14610 on? Hate to trash it.
But after that incident, I now carry a card in my wallet with ALL my vehicles and boat filter numbers on them. God, what has happen to me?
smile.gif

[ November 20, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

spleck,

Stick with the Mobil 1 5w-30 and you will be fine. I would be leary of using the xW-20 since you live below the heat belt south of Macon. Heck, you could probaly get away with the Mobil 1 10w-30 if you wanted to use it. If the car was an older Honda, I would recommend the M1 10w-30.

Plenty of M1 0W20 (silver bottle/label) at the pepboys in sandy springs (roswell road & i-285)
I've been looking for is since is the recommended oil for the ford grand marquis 2002

Autozone at cobb pwy has plenty of the German made Castrol 0w30 if interested in that one also.
(got 6 bottles for $28 to replace whatever volvo has been filling up my S70 with)

I understand wanting to use what the manufacturer specs for your vehicle. Especially while still in the warranty period. I Used the 5w-20 (for a short while anyway) before switching to 0w-30 then ultimately 5w-30, for that very reason. Still, I wouldn't stress out over using the 5w-30 (or even the 10w-30). Like JohnBrowning said, it is more than up to the task of a Georgia winter.

Mikep

I think it's worth the effort to get the 0w-20. You'll get better gas mileage and I measured slightly less wear with M1 0w-20 compared to M1 5w-30 in my 02 RSX. WalMart is the only store that carries 0w-20 in my area. WalMart is fairly responsive to customers that ask for 0w-20, so go to their website, find the contact page, and tell them you can't find this oil in your store. You can also call the store oil dept manager and let him know you're looking for 0w-20.

Because of the surprisingly good UOA's I have seen here of Motorcraft 5-20, I switched 3 of my Fords to that (from M1 0-40 no less). In the last few months, I find that I have to plan ahead if I want to buy enough from Walmart for my cars.
I suspect that it is a matter of this viscosity gaining acceptance faster than the stores add shelf space for 20 weight. And this applies to M1 0-20 as well.
In 2 Walmarts by me, it is common for me to see a dozen X-30 oil brands lined up in full rows, zero Motorcraft and Penzoil 5-20 and just a few M1 0-20 qts.
I would expect that this will change-additional stock / shelf space will be added just as happened with M1 0-30 2 years ago and M1 0-40 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back