Mobil1 0W-40 • 7,027mi • 2019 4Runner 28k

Figured some might be interested to see this since 4R's are specced for 0W-20 in the US but heavier weights in other markets. Very pleased with the low iron (big timing chain) and silicon looks like its still coming down. Not too worried about the flashpoint since M1 0W-40 is on the thin side and Blackstone's flashpoint is inferred based on that. I'll run the next one out to 8-9K miles and see how it does.

OEM filters throughout, this SUV sees daily grind as well as some heavy load carrying, travel trailer towing, roadtrips and some time spent off road occasionally so we fit the factory "severe duty" description which recommends heavier than 20 weight and OCI's cut to 5K miles vs the normal 10k.

Attachments

• 19-4RUNNER-220219.jpg
    19-4RUNNER-220219.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 762
Figured some might be interested to see this since 4R's are specced for 0W-20 in the US but heavier weights in other markets. Very pleased with the low iron (big timing chain) and silicon looks like its still coming down. Not too worried about the flashpoint since M1 0W-40 is on the thin side and Blackstone's flashpoint is inferred based on that. I'll run the next one out to 8-9K miles and see how it does.

OEM filters throughout, this SUV sees daily grind as well as some heavy load carrying, travel trailer towing, roadtrips and some time spent off road occasionally so we fit the factory "severe duty" description which recommends heavier than 20 weight and OCI's cut to 5K miles vs the normal 10k.
I've run M1 0w40 for 10k in our 4runner

No, flash point is not inferred. Flash point is measured and they infer fuel dilution.

No, flash point is not inferred. Flash point is measured and they infer fuel dilution.
ah, my mistake then. i thought Blackstone didn't use gas chromatography but formulated dilution based off of a predicted viscosity.

The M1 OW-40 is a much more [heavier duty]? that the Quaker State 5W-30. 0W-40 expect it to thin out.

Excellent.

Did the usage of the truck change from the time you used the QSUD and the M1?

It really didn't to be honest. We were towing a camper with it by the time it had a little over 1000 miles on it, and since then we've been very consistent with what we ask of it.

QS looks good also. No? it also has good chunk of moly! It's been on my list of oils to try.

for the gdi guys (Hyundai not 4runner), I think 0W-40 is not recommended for di engines due to SA limits ... just something to research or worry. I've used it in our GDI but not on a regular basis and went back to dexos2.

Last edited:
Great engine, great analysis. What weights do other markets spec?

totally agreed. people complain about the power compared to its contemporaries, but i'd glady trade power and just gear down on a hill in exchange for anvil reliability. looking forward to a lot of miles.

notably in Australia the same engine in the FJ Cruiser calls for up to a 20W-50, and I think its the same in the Middle East and Latin America. you hear a lot of panic in the late model 4R community about using anything other than the 20wt spec but there's no explanation for it other than CAFE standards given our climate, and the owners manual is purposefully nebulous about it. ironically, my gas mileage is consistent with factory numbers even with the 0W-40.

anyway, not saying 20wt is bad; i think lots of owners will see decades of service with it but for the use of our vehicle, this is a better choice with no real downside in my opinion.

QS looks good also. No? it also has good chunk of moly! It's been on my list of oils to try.

for the gdi guys (Hyundai not 4runner), I think 0W-40 is not recommended for di engines due to SA limits ... just something to research or worry. I've used it in our GDI but not on a regular basis and went back to dexos2.

its "fine" for the price when its on sale but i found the TBN disappointing for such a short run, and from other UOA's i've seen its kinda the same story.

Back