Mobil uses group 3, 4 and 5?

Messages
34,490
Location
NJ
quote:
Mobil typically uses a combo base stock comprised of groups 3,4 and5. Since we are striving for extended service intervals, we primarily with the group 4 PAO stock for stability over time. Thank you, Jim Van AMSOIL Technical Services
A friend received this from Amsoil about Mobil's base stocks. Is this guy refering to the Trisynethic oil? I thought Mobil 1 was never group 3? SS is 4 + 5 esters. [I dont know]
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
34,490
Location
NJ
quote:
I HOPE they are not playing that game.
I hope they aren't either. As far as I know, Mobil 1 SS is fully PAO based. Maybe Trisynthetic is. [ September 18, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
This is typical Amsoil BS. This sort of thing really pi$$es me off. And Amsoil wonders why its dealers have a bad rep. [Roll Eyes]
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
34,490
Location
NJ
quote:
To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1® uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
I'm assuming they mean PAO + Esters + EP/AW additives. Sounds like Amsoil BS to me too. [Roll Eyes] [ September 18, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
47,953
Location
Everson WA - Pacific NW USA
So have your friend challenge the tech guy. He didn't say M1. What exactly was the question? This is baiting if you ask me. Sure all the M1 lovers will jump on this. This is NOT "typical Amsoil BS", it's a an answer to a question I haven't seen. PS Where are Castrol's answers?, Pennzoil's? Mobil's?
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
34,490
Location
NJ
Pablo, no need to get worked up. This site is a way to cut through all BS from ALL oil companies..Mobil/Amsoil included. [Smile] Believe me, all oil companies have there share of BS as you stated. Amsoil does a nice job by providing a lot of data on there web page and I like that. Mobil probably wouldn't have even responded. The guy is BSing though you have to admitt. Or like you said, he wasn't refering to M1. [ September 18, 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
903
Location
CA
quote:
Originally posted by buster: [QUOTE]Mobil typically uses a combo base stock comprised of groups 3,4 and5.
No wonder that stuff sucks. [Wink] Any decent oil only has group 6. [Big Grin]
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by buster: The guy is BSing though you have to admitt. Or like you said, he wasn't refering to M1.
It would be logical assumption that he was referring to Mobil 1. Why would Amsoil bother talking about anything but synthetics when comparing their oil to another? As to Pablo's not so rhetorical question, I'd rather have NO answers from an oil company than marketing BS.
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by satterfi:
quote:
Originally posted by buster: [QUOTE]Mobil typically uses a combo base stock comprised of groups 3,4 and5.
No wonder that stuff sucks. [Wink] Any decent oil only has group 6. [Big Grin]

Nein, Muß irgendein anständiges Öl Deutsche Gruppen Sechs ist! [ September 18, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]
 
Messages
1,342
Location
North of Dallas Texas
What I get from reading MSDS's and data sheets that I can find online, Mobil One and Amsoil are both appox 80% PAO, the other 20% additives and Esters for seal swell. Amsoil doesn't own a refinery so they buy their base PAO's from one of the major oil companies. What turns me off against Amsoil is their marketing gimmick (MLM). If you become a preferred customer you get 20% off catalog price after you pay them 20 bucks a year. I wonder what the profit margin is for the "independent dealers".
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
34,490
Location
NJ
The question was something like, does Mobil 1 SS use similar base stocks to Amsoil. Guys, it really doesnt matter. Sometimes I think I should refrain from posting these questions. I just thought maybe Amsoil new something we didn't about the base oils being they can test things and find out what others are really doing.
 
Messages
47,953
Location
Everson WA - Pacific NW USA
Buster PLEASE keep posting such things -ALL I ask is; if someone posts an answer from any company, the verbatim question should be posted as well. I asked: "Is the sun hot?" The answer from the phone jockey: "It's relative"
 
Messages
2,235
Location
SE MI
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Woods: What I get from reading MSDS's and data sheets that I can find online, Mobil One and Amsoil are both appox 80% PAO, the other 20% additives and Esters for seal swell. Amsoil doesn't own a refinery so they buy their base PAO's from one of the major oil companies. What turns me off against Amsoil is their marketing gimmick (MLM). If you become a preferred customer you get 20% off catalog price after you pay them 20 bucks a year. I wonder what the profit margin is for the "independent dealers".
I agree. I'm an Independent Amsoil Dealer and I don't understand how the ppl featured in their catalogs make a living selling this stuff. Any person can walk into Walmart and buy M1 at a lower price than Amsoil.
 
Messages
767
Location
Houston, TX
quote:
I agree. I'm an Independent Amsoil Dealer and I don't understand how the ppl featured in their catalogs make a living selling this stuff. Any person can walk into Walmart and buy M1 at a lower price than Amsoil.
As with any MLM product, you just have to sell your *** off. You sign people up and hope they sell it as well so you can get a tiny cut of their sales. Successful MLM people already have established networks of friends or colleagues into the whole MLM system. My boss is big into MLM and has pitched me Dri-Wash, some website hosting place and even some recipe exchange deal. He is successful because he knows a bunch of people that will buy into the system without thought since they know a bunch of people…etc. If anything, Amsoil or any MLM in general is a good way to cut back on taxes. You start a business, lose money for three years and claim losses against you taxable income for each year. Meanwhile, you make a couple of bucks selling a product to friends and family.
 
Messages
2,235
Location
SE MI
It's a horrible investment. Almost negligible return after hours and hours + money spent on this investment. Not a good idea IMHO unless you enjoy peddling stuff to friends and family.
 
Messages
6,388
Location
Washington St.
quote:
Originally posted by buster:
quote:
Mobil typically uses a combo base stock comprised of groups 3,4 and5. Since we are striving for extended service intervals, we primarily with the group 4 PAO stock for stability over time. Thank you, Jim Van AMSOIL Technical Services
A friend received this from Amsoil about Mobil's base stocks. Is this guy refering to the Trisynethic oil? I thought Mobil 1 was never group 3? SS is 4 + 5 esters. [I dont know]

ExxonMobil might use Gr-3 base oil in their Mobil DriveClean Blend products...it all sounds like an inexact answer to an inexact question. Ken
 
Top