Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 mixed with Mobil 1 5w30, 1:1

Here is VOA of Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 mixed with Mobil 5w30 at a 1:1 ratio. I ended up with an oil with a viscosity on the high end of 5w30, with a boosted Phosporus ( beyond the 800 ppm limit for GF-5 SN) but not crazy high. It also has a shot of moly and a fairly low calcium content. It’s currently in my 6.0 Chev LS V-8. Except for issues on base oil it looks a lot like Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

6239CB31-9476-484B-AECB-203CCF541077.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd be interested in the UOA to see if the mix had any benefit compared to using just TDT 5w40 or Mobil 1 5W30 by itself.

The problem is that no UOA will show any benefit nor disadvantage to this mixture. UOAs do not show relative quality differences between oils.
I realize that, I was stirring the pot. It would make for some interesting debate if "iron" was a couple PPM different. LOL There are people seeing a 2-3 ppm reduction in iron as some major wear reducing discovery.

I realize that, I was stirring the pot. It would make for some interesting debate if "iron" was a couple PPM different. LOL There are people seeing a 2-3 ppm reduction in iron as some major wear reducing discovery.
No doubt. Back when I ran oil analysis in college that was well within the sensitivity of the AA machine we were using. I'm sure it is better today but still you're dealing with a large piece of metallic machinery and a few PPM is less than meaningless.

Yep, I have no intention on spending money on UOA’s. This whole thing was just for fun. I happen to have Pennzoil 5w40 in my stash with a similar add pack and a list of approvals or at least “ meets the requirements of”. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Back