Mobil Supersyn VII Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a topic about synthetics and VII's and some that might not need any to be a 10/40 or something like that.
My question is of the Mobil Supersyn oils which ones in order would have less VII's ? Does any of that make sense about what I am asking
confused.gif

More than likely, 10w30 has the least amount of VII in it, followed by 15w50.

Then the 5w30 would be next, and the 0w30 would have the most VII of all.

The 0w40 I'm not sure of, as I understand it uses a better base stock. I estimate it's probably a lot better than the 5w30 and 0w30, and has less VII even with the larger spread.

Thank you for the reply. I am leaning towards the 15/50 for my 1974 Chevy Camper Special with a 454. I have been using Castrol 20/50 but often when on vacation I feel the need to change the oil before coming home because of the heavy trailer and the amount of miles.
I don't know about that 0/40. It might have those VII's that everyone does not like. I have those now to an extent with the Castrol I believe and I don't think the 10/30 would be tough enough
confused.gif

I wish they made a straight 40 wt Supersyn !

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Pops, why not call Mobil1? They are happy to answer your questions.

Problem is, the people answering the tech lines probably don't know the answer to this question. I'd bet the farm on it.

Pops,
Get Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 diesel & gasoline engine lube oil. It should do fine. Do you really need 50 wt. oil? If so, get the 15W-50...but be sure you really need it.

Don't say that everyone doesn't like VII. They work great and do a job. Yes, too high a proportion of VII can be a problem, but synthetic oils naturaly have a higher viscosity index and therefore need a smaller proportion of VIIs. Not a problem.

Ken

Pops,

I wouldn't go below an SAE 40 grade since the 454's have some interesting clearances.

My Uncle's 454 in his Suburban seemed to prefer 15W40. You might want to take a look at Schaeffer's #700. With that high torque starter, I don't think you'll have a problem in cold weather.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken:
Pops,
Get Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 diesel & gasoline engine lube oil. It should do fine. Do you really need 50 wt. oil? If so, get the 15W-50...but be sure you really need it.

Don't say that everyone doesn't like VII. They work great and do a job. Yes, too high a proportion of VII can be a problem, but synthetic oils naturaly have a higher viscosity index and therefore need a smaller proportion of VIIs. Not a problem.

Ken

I have read that the Delvac 1 has metallic additives. Would those polish the bore like a fine abrasive overtime?
Dragboat asked the same question in another thread. It was not replied to. Those deisel piston rings are huge compared to a gas motor. I would want some more verification this type oil is good for long term use in a gas motor before I used it.

Does Delvac 1300 use the metallic additives as well? Thats the one I am more interested in or the Delo 400 possibly. Are these used as a detergent or something like a dispersent?
I am new to this as you can probably tell
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pops:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken:
Pops,

Ken

I have read that the Delvac 1 has metallic additives. Would those polish the bore like a fine abrasive overtime?
Dragboat asked the same question in another thread. It was not replied to. Those deisel piston rings are huge compared to a gas motor. I would want some more verification this type oil is good for long term use in a gas motor before I used it.

Does Delvac 1300 use the metallic additives as well? Thats the one I am more interested in or the Delo 400 possibly. Are these used as a detergent or something like a dispersent?
I am new to this as you can probably tell
blush.gif

Pops, You raise a good question none seen to want to address it. I think they would be like fine abrasives and polish the bore over time. Some of the Exotic gas motor oils use these in the formulation for another reasin but they are in race motors for a short time then the motor is gone through. A diesel's ring is, well it will just seal beter through it's size and the compression forcing it into the cylinder wall. Also ,the ring tension used in those are much higher than a PCM. A gas oil for a gas motor, diesel oil for a diesel is my opinion if a mettalic additive is used.

Now show me the cross hatch left in a cylinder after 150k in a gas motor using Delvac 1 and I will eat my words
cheers.gif

Again D1 is not a diesel oil it is a fleet oil (CI-4/SL). Used it in 3 vehicles but can't honestly say "the cross hatch is still there". I don't intend stripping motor to see either, the motors run too well.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Again D1 is not a diesel oil it is a fleet oil (CI-4/SL). Used it in 3 vehicles but can't honestly say "the cross hatch is still there". I don't intend stripping motor to see either, the motors run too well.

Use a boroscope then.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pops:
I have read that the Delvac 1 has metallic additives...

offtopic.gif
Ok Pops, where'd you read it then? How about a link? The idea of Mobil inserting an abrasive metallic additive into one of their premier lubricating products seems absurd. If anything, Mobil is always touting how their products reduce wear, not cause it.

I use Delvac 1 in a 2002 Volkswagen TDI, and I'm sure that the piston rings aren't the same size as on a huge diesel engine in a Kenworth. It's a high speed passenger diesel engine. Oil analysis results posted on TDIClub indicate very low wear.

If no one has posted a VOA on D1 here, I'm more than willing to pay the $25 to Terry Dyson so there's one available.

DF

[ November 10, 2002, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: diesel_fan ]

I have never heard of ash-type (metallic) additives doing any bore polishing. I do believe the question was answered on a different thread.
Calcium and magnesium ARE metallic additives but they are used as dispersants and detergents.

A very high level of ash-type additives might cause deposits to form on the valve stems, but I have never heard or read of modern additives polishing bores nor creating problem deposits in a mechanically sound engine.

BTW, calcium and magnesium also function as friction reducers and mild AW additives.

[ November 10, 2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back