Mobil Supersyn revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot find a interesting thread on this oil but did find this posted by George

"Mobil's reason for reformulation was for performance upgrade. As I shared in previous posts, the "sypersyn" formulation is for real, having been developed years ago, sat on a shelf gathering dust until one of the assigned racing lube engineer's ran into a bearing life/film strength problem. ie. bearings were failing in the race engine and the engine builders were blaming Mobil 1. He had a batch made up with this particular molecule blend and the problem not only went away but the weak component lived better than the previous strong design. So, by fluke rather than design, the supersyn (don't know where they get those names) was formulation is an evolutionary improvement in Mobil 1's performance. Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 are Mobil's flagship and they are going to do everything possible to keep them one generation ahead of the other major synthetics such as the Castrol/Valvoline/Quaker States of the world.."

I see some of the heavier wts of this oil in the analysis section but am waiting to see a 5/30 or a 10/30 analysis.

Does anyone know if this formulation uses metallic adds?

Also,overnight all he 5 quart jugs were removed from Walmart a few weeks ago? Do you think possibly it was recalled for some reason? Or just some Auto shops picked up on the bargain price of 17 bucks for 5 quarts? Never the less,in that period of time it has not been restocked?

The 5 quart jugs are promotional and not bottled on a continuous basis. Thus they exist at times at Wal Mart, other times not.
I have reviewed many of the 5W30 and 10W-30 Mobil 1 Supersyn analysis with vehicles having good Tri-Syn and original Mobil 1 formulations and I have not seen any changes in any parameter for the oil analysis results.
These vehicles include fleet salespeople, delivery and tow trucks. In every case, pretty severe service but also with excellent PM. And yes, Mobil 1 sypersyn uses metallic additization as always, including moly..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

[ August 12, 2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: GeorgeCLS ]

Originally posted by dragboat:
[QB]I see some of the heavier wts of this oil in the analysis section but am waiting to see a 5/30 or a 10/30 analysis.

Dragboat, 99.9% of the oil analysis I see are from my trucking & grading companies. But I do have some on 10w30 and expecting more very soon! I will post some later this or next week. I want to be sure they are the "SL" rated
smile.gif

I am about to drain and run an analysis on Tri-Syn 5W30, SJ rated, in a couple of weeks that I have been running in my wife's Integra. I will then put in 4 quarts of the new Supersyn 5W30 and compare data. I will run both oils the same mileage, 3000. Hipefully someone will post some Supersyn results before then. -Joe

Dragboat,

I am currently using Mobil 1 10W30 ss in the Nissan Frontier. I will be posting the results of the oil analysis at 1k, 3k, and 6k intervals along with the virgin sample, unless someone else on the board posts a virgin oil sample before I do.

So far I have noticed the following:
1. Less tappet noise from the solid tappets as compared to the Amsoil 10W30 and 5W30 HDD.
2. Faster and smoother revving.
3. Slight increase in gas mileage, about 0.5 mpg.

I will also be posting the old analysis from the latest test on the Amsoil 10W30 ATM, which had almost 5K on it. You have to realize, since it is a new product and has only been on the market for a short time, there are few analysis on any of the boards. I think Walmart probably received a good package deal from Mobil and bought as much stock as possible.

I wll also be running Schaeffer's 10W30 soon in the wife's Burb as soon as the Burb accumulates some more mileage.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
The 5 quart jugs are promotional and not bottled on a continuous basis. Thus they exist at times at Wal Mart, other times not.
I have reviewed many of the 5W30 and 10W-30 Mobil 1 Supersyn analysis with vehicles having good Tri-Syn and original Mobil 1 formulations and I have not sen any changes in any parameter for the oil analysis results.
And yes, Mobil 1 sypersyn uses metallic additization as always, including moly..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

I can vouch for that as I've never ever seen those jugs at Wal-Mart...or any other place for that matter
dunno.gif
. As a side note, I noticed Mobil 1 SS has gone up about .50 to .75 cents a qt from the trisyn.

That's interesting about the 5 quart jugs, I know my local Wal-Mart's were sold out within a week. Good thing I bought 2!! $17.88 was a great price.

I look forward to seeing some results with SuperSyn.

All of the Wal-Mart's don't get the 5 gal stuff. I've also found that different Wal-Mart's charge different prices for the quarts. There is one locally that sells the 10w30 stuff for 3.88 a quart. The other weights (other than the 0w40 stuff they don't carry) are 4.08 a qt.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
unless someone else on the board posts a virgin oil sample before I do.

I believe Terry has posted that already. There is also one in the Maxima.org spreadsheet. However, they look to be two different formulations. You may still want to check yours to see if you hadn't gotten a third formulation
gr_eek2.gif
. And supposedly some have moly but niether of those showed any.

Jason, from what I remember,now of course I could be wrong, that was not a virgin sample. I think it was a partial oil analysis to show something about the basic oil qualitiy without providing all aspects of the sample. It filled in the void of that question but was incomplete as a virgin oil sample from what I remember.

I am boxing up about 10 virgin oil analysis with API SL, so to get some more base line analysis. This includes another new(not the one I used on the timken test) 10w30 supersyn oil. This also includes 2 different visc pennz HM, 2 maxlifes, rottela T(sj/ch4), amsoils 20w50, maybe 0w30(had only a half sample bottle),kendal 20w50,pennz longlife 15w40,and castrol GTX 10w30.

As soon as I can get it off my desk with all the paper work, and get the results back, I'll post each and everyone of them.

Bob,two things. I appologize for this repost,I did not see the original! Guess I should hunt with both eyes open huh?

Also,if you were going to test a virgin sample of the Pennzoil 10/30 Pennzane,I have posted that this morning and a Pennzoil virgin sample of the purebase multi vis 10/30 is on the way to the lab. Might save some duplicates"money" as well

Molakule.I thank you for your reply and observations,I value your input very much

George,Thanks for the explanation on the 5 quart Mobil jugs. I wish they would package the Drive clean oil that way. I had very good luck with that oil for many years!Expect this SL version is much different than the past also expect the mobil Engineers to know what they are doing!
smile.gif

Not a problem Dragboat.

I have been doing some reading on the online manual for this messg bd and have found I may need to prune some of this old stuff and they suggest that if a thread starts getting over 500 replies, it's best to close it and continue on a new thead, but so far, hasn't been a issue. Thanks again for your questions, and everyone's participation. This is what it's about.
bob

Brad,I kinda have an idea it will prove to be Mobils best ever! I am a Dino guy but Mothers newer Grand Marquis is getting some Supersyn tommorrow.Looks like my old Mercury will too as I need to purge Moms car for a few miles and don't want to wast it. And as usual,Terry will get the Analysis work and I will post it

Off topic. Man,that Mobil Drive Clean analysis looked good! Hint Hint,wish they would put it in 5 quart containers to aid in recycling of the used oil
wink.gif

I apologize if I sound like a salesman but the Mobil Drive Clean automotive oil really is a great mineral based oil, relatively high additization levels and super base stock. It is not marketed well at all by Mobi IMHOl but I have seen the oil horrendously abused in service trucks and it hangs right in there. And it is one of the lowest cost PVEO oils at Autozone, etc. A real sleeper.. If Castrol marketed this oil it would be a super seller indeed...

Thanks for the tip George. I will consider using conventional Mobil when I run out of Chevron. Chevron Supreme is all but impossible to find in Cincinnati unless you are willing to pay $2/quart at a Chevron station. My local WalMart had Chevron for about 4 days, now totally sold out again.
frown.gif
Mobil Drive Clean is readily available though.

Brad,I used the Drive Clean for 20plus years,it is a great oil. No negatives from me. I don't think it was always called Drive Clean though and I think you might see a tad bit of moly in it as well these days

As George has alluded to,it is a "sleeper oil" and gets the job done well.Has for me anyway. Held a Crown Victoria together for over 200k and was running well when sold!Many times went over 6k on the changes when it was a SE then a SJ oil

Now have the Delvac 1300 in the old worn out Mercury for the rest of it's life. Went from 3/4-1 whole quart used in 3k to full at 3k using it. Seems another good Mobil product as it is working for me in what I am trying to get done with this particular car and that is run it till it will run no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back