Mobil Special @ Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target has Mobil Special on sale for $2.69/qt and Mobil Super for $2.99/qt. Extra 5% off with a Red Card.

Picked up 7 qts of Special 5w30 for $17.92 for the Trailblazer. Chevron's Oronite add-pack blended with XOM Group II.

I'm surprised E-M would use an Oronite additive package when they own part of Infineum (I think)?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm surprised E-M would use an Oronite additive package when they own part of Infineum (I think)?

Same here, in fact I'd love to know the source of this information.

Yes, XOM owns half of Infineum, the other half is owned by SOPUS. They also own XOM Chemical.

go to pqia and compare havoline to mobile special. you will also see that citgo superguard has some similar numbers.
yes they do own half of infinium, the other half is owned by sopus. sopus also buys additive packages from other companies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
go to pqia and compare havoline to mobile special. you will also see that citgo superguard has some similar numbers.
yes they do own half of infinium, the other half is owned by sopus. sopus also buys additive packages from other companies.

Additive packs blended to a performance and price point are bound to look similar on paper, even if produced by completely different manufacturers.

This looks like one of the thinnest 5w-30 oils. Wondering if it would work in a 5w-20 engine that's a little picky. Had to recycle Valvoline 10w-30 early because I couldn't get used to poor acceleration and improperly shifting auto transmission. Don't want to waste another oc.

Would Valvoline Nextgen or Valvoline be one of the thickest conventional 5w-20 oils? I see they're both supposed to be 50cst@40C.

Originally Posted By: jorton
This looks like one of the thinnest 5w-30 oils. Wondering if it would work in a 5w-20 engine that's a little picky. Had to recycle Valvoline 10w-30 early because I couldn't get used to poor acceleration and improperly shifting auto transmission. Don't want to waste another oc.

Would Valvoline Nextgen or Valvoline be one of the thickest conventional 5w-20 oils? I see they're both supposed to be 50cst@40C.

The thickest conventional 5w20 I'm aware of is Castrol GTX.

yes it is. as exxon stations have gone away, exxon mobil rebranded superflo as mobil special when sn/gf-5 went into effect. detergency is way up and trimer replaces standard moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JavierG
Is it me or is this thread under the wrong forum?

Yes it is, should be in the sales/rebates forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back