Mobil Special = QSUD Add Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else noticed how similar the add pack (Infinium?) in Mobil Special and Quaker State Ultimate Durability look? 50 ppm +/- TriMoly and 2400 +/- Calcium with no Magnesium, Boron, Titanium or Sodium (other than a minor amount).

Dont know if they are the same but sure look like they would play nice together.

Last edited:
Gene,

You sure know your add packs.
smile.gif

I remember that several years ago you postulated that QSUD, PP, and PU, all in the SN variety, had similar add packs with most likely only a difference in base oils.

I think manufacturers look at a proven additive package from a reputable supplier such as Infinium which is a joint Shell/XOM venture and add it to their individual base stocks. No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Now, Mobil Special, and Mobil Super for that matter, use their good group II+ base stocks with QSUD using some proprietary variant of group 3/3+/purebase since I doubt SOPUS is letting Pennzoil hoard the purebase.
wink.gif

Both oils are quality products. I think in 90% of the vehicles out there Mobil Special would be fine. Outside of Target I never see it on the shelves.

Take care,
Gary

Gary,

Im just getting more and more skeptical of how much real performance difference their is in some oils with a big difference in retail price. Base stock makes a difference but +10 VI with the same add pack isnt worth a 100% Increase in price to me. I just dont see the payoff.

In my trucks doubling the unit cost of oil and oil filters also resulted in doubling drain intervals (no net oil/filter cost increase) and a $2000 per power unit cost savings per year ($1500 fuel, $250 labor and $250 downtime).

Well, the big blenders buy from Lubrizol. There's bound to be overlap, and there are only so many different things they can put into the oil.

Gene,

I hear you and totally agree with you. Another occasional poster here, Salv, is a big believer in Mobil Special. He works for a Hyundai dealer in upstate NY and prefers the Special over the Super that switched to the Na-Ca detergent-dispersant combo.

With conventional oil formulations being on the cusp of GF-6, as long as your particular vehicle/fleet doesn't need, warranty-wise, Group III oils, it makes little financial sense to use them.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but for the newer BITOG members, as dNewton3 often says, in fleet applications, a professionally monitored UOA program is highly recommended and beneficial.

For diesel-equipped fleets, Chevron, the original developer of Group II+ oils, has some attractive oils in their Delo lineup that rival their synthetic Shell Rotella and Mobil Delvac competitors.

And in gas-equipped fleets, there are many smaller blenders that offer economically-priced Group II/II+ oils that will meet your needs.

I bet, if you PM Salv, and talk shop, he'd point you to some suitable source that is similar to Mobil Special. I'm thinking Hyundai uses it for their bulk oil here in Tucson.

Gary

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Im just getting more and more skeptical of how much real performance difference their is in some oils with a big difference in retail price. Base stock makes a difference but +10 VI with the same add pack isnt worth a 100% Increase in price to me. I just dont see the payoff.

I would agree. The average person is going to see no functional difference in upgrading from QSAD to QSUD. Of course, that's assuming that ordinary SN/GF-5 and the available viscosities fulfill the requirements of the vehicle.

Aside from extended drains and certain required specs by certain vehicles, the main advantage I see to synthetics is viscosity choice. Getting a 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40, or 5w-50 conventional isn't realistic. If one does want or has the climate to justify the use of something like that, it's a good option.

On its own, though, the way you put it, spending double the money solely for 10 extra points in VI is a bit silly.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back