Mobil Special anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some at Target for $3.29. I went to NAPA and O'Reilly, and couldn't believe they both sell their own brand for $3.99. I know I didn't get the best deal. I didn't feel like going to Walmart, and I didn't feel like buying a jug. Would you compare Mobil Special to something like ForumulaShell or Havoline DS? I know it replaced Exxon Superflo. I got 5W-30 (GF-5, SN) just in case anyone's wondering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Would you compare Mobil Special to something like ForumulaShell or Havoline DS? I know it replaced Exxon Superflo. I got 5W-30 (GF-5, SN) just in case anyone's wondering.

Yes, Mobil Special replaced Mobil Drive Clean/Clean which is their entry level oil and competes with the Formula Shell, Chevron Supreme, 76 and other gas station brands. You'll have to upgrade to Mobil Super 5000 which is considered to be the premium conventional they offer and competes with oils like Castrol GTX, Quaker State Advanced Durability etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011page2.html

There's the VOA

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Yes, Mobil Special replaced Mobil Drive Clean/Clean which is their entry level oil and competes with the Formula Shell, Chevron Supreme, 76 and other gas station brands. You'll have to upgrade to Mobil Super 5000 which is considered to be the premium conventional they offer and competes with oils like Castrol GTX, Quaker State Advanced Durability etc.

That's what I thought.

Last edited:
It looks like a pretty good oil to me. When I see Sears selling PYB on sale for $3.29, I don't feel so bad. I'm just glad I got a name brand for that price. Why pay $3.99 for a store brand...

Last edited:
i've never seen it ANYWHERE. and my target must suck because every time i'm in there i walk by the automotive aisle and i think last time they had a few quarts of mobil 1. that was it. if they are trying to compete against walmart they have a lot of work to do. i've noticed walmart has a larger selection of just about everything.

They used to sell FormulaShell for $2.59. I always thought that was a pretty good deal. I remember when I was a kid Target actually had an automotive dept. just like Walmart. I would go there with my dad and I remember they had air filters, oil filters, etc.

I've seen it at target, and that was it. Based on the VOA, the only real difference seems to be that Mobil Super uses Ti02 as an additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back