Mobil response to 2t racing in marine applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mobil1 Racing 2T is not formulated for marine 2-stroke applications. The product does not meet the marine toxicity requirements. Mobil does not have a product other than the Exxon 2-cycle Supreme however, it is a conventional oil product.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob"

Now I Have ran it in a regular jetski that calls for twc3, and it didn't affect it at all. Is this oil safe to use in all jetskis?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron:

I have run MX2T now 2T in my Kawasaki jet ski for two years. Noticed it smokes far less. I am hoping it extends the life of my engine. Others where I live are doing the same with no reported ill effects.

2T is much closer to Citgo's Sea and Snow (which is recommended for my jet ski on the product itself) than a twc3 oil.

caveat: Many members of this board have far more expertise and knowledge than myself. I am only stating it appears to be working for my application. Some previous posts would disagree with our use, but I do not remember reading any posts where using this oil in our boats results in shorter engine life.

In fact, I am hoping for the opposite. Just be aware plug use may go up alone with having to clean exhaust ports more frequently.

Steve

wrote their tech rep about using it also about a year ago, here's the reply:

"Mobil1 Racing 2T should not be used in oil injection systems, only in
pre-mix applications. Exxon 2-cycle Supreme can be used in your
application without problems however, it is not a synthetic motor oil."

Mine is a premix application even though I dont have power valves. Im assuming running 6,000 plus rpms is a good thing to have this oil rather than a tcw3 oil!

2t's detergent package (low ash) is usually more suitable to higher hp per cc engines like watercraft. Not that tcw3 can't take the rpms or load, many ski's advise using it. It's more that the internal engine temps are higher and can "cook" some of the oil, without the detergent package to clean it this "cooked" oil can gunk stuff up. A low output per cc outboard with constant fresh water cooling can get away an "ashless" tcw3 oil because it doesn't get hot enough to "cook". A good indicator of the heat internally is the heat range spec'd for the sparkplug. Engines that run plugs that run at the colder end of the chart might be a good candidate for an low ash detergent.

The tcw3 is more than capable for power and rpms at the right ratio. A high output engine that fails using it usually is a result of a stuck ring, NOT lack of lubrication. A lot depends on the actual oil IMO, I've seen, rebuilt and have buds that run some pretty radical hardware on tcw3 with great results, but not any tcw3.

You may hear a lot about rotax's requirement for low ash. Besides the exhaust valves (engines don't fail from stuck exh valves) and high hp/cc output there is another reason that isn't often mentioned . Dykes or L shaped rings are used on many of their builds. This top ring design is a little more prone to getting gunked or carbon in the lands. This can lead to major engine failure so they're pretty insistant on not using tcw3. Again I've seen some (not all) tcw3's work very well on these motors too so it may be considerd good advice but not the rule. Some may say yes but Yamaha's and others use TCW3? they also use a conventional semi trapz ring so they're probably not so worried about sticking a ring.

I just feel safer running it than yamalube or maxima super m(which is also low ash and supposed to be for skis).

MX2T, now called 2R is abteer oil than Yamalube or Super M.
I have used MX2t in my snwomobiles injection sytem for thousands of miles without issue. MX2T works fine in injection sytems, despite not being reccomended for such a application.
I would not hesitate to use it a Jet ski, but I would not use it in a outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back