Mobil one supersyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
evaluate this quote from another message board:

quote:

I actually emailed a rep from Mobil a while ago when the new trisyn formula came out and he told me that it wasn't 100% PAO stocks. I guess Mobil must have changed the formula back to PAO for their synthetic oil after all the bad press. Also last I heard about Mobil(from Bror Jace) was that his car started showing signs of piston slap..... which never should have happened while using a supposed high quality oil like Mobil 1. Well, you learn something new everyday, but I'm going to wait for more good reviews about Mobil 1 before trying their new formula.

ive heard from two people on this message board that mobil 1 doesnt use a group IV basestock. ive argured that mobil 1 supersyn is a PAO synthetic unlike the other group III pretenders. from what information ive gathered on this website, i figured that mobil 1 is a high quality oil but others on this website do not believe so. any input is appreciated.

M-1 SS is a PAO synth., but the 5-30 and 10-30 are only ACEA A1 rated, so it's no big deal. Only the 0-40 and 15-50 are worth writing home about.

Dr.T -- can you put that into words that mere mortals might understand??
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
M-1 SS is a PAO synth., but the 5-30 and 10-30 are only ACEA A1 rated, so it's no big deal. Only the 0-40 and 15-50 are worth writing home about.

This isn't true. Mobil 1 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 are A5 rated, which is an extended drain spec that is just as tough as A3 with the exception of HT/HS. A3 HT/HS >3.5; A5 HT/HS 2.9-3.5.

ACEA A3 is the one to have.
Other important specs are VW 505. MB 229.1 and/or MB 229.3 also BMW performance specs.

Fred...
smile.gif

[ February 15, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Mobil 1 trisynthetic and SS are both group IV synthetics. Who ever said that is misinformed. Castrol is the group III.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
ACEA A3 is the one to have.

That all depends. If you need an oil that is identical to A5 except it has a HT/HS of >3.5, then yes, A3 is the one to have.

229.5 is the toughest MB spec. Mobil 1 0w40 meets that spec.

quote:

Originally posted by oilcanboyd:
evaluate this quote from another message board:

quote:

I actually emailed a rep from Mobil a while ago when the new trisyn formula came out and he told me that it wasn't 100% PAO stocks. I guess Mobil must have changed the formula back to PAO for their synthetic oil after all the bad press. Also last I heard about Mobil(from Bror Jace) was that his car started showing signs of piston slap..... which never should have happened while using a supposed high quality oil like Mobil 1. Well, you learn something new everyday, but I'm going to wait for more good reviews about Mobil 1 before trying their new formula.

ive heard from two people on this message board that mobil 1 doesnt use a group IV basestock. ive argured that mobil 1 supersyn is a PAO synthetic unlike the other group III pretenders. from what information ive gathered on this website, i figured that mobil 1 is a high quality oil but others on this website do not believe so. any input is appreciated.

Evaluate this quote? Well, the person is absolutely correct. Mobil 1 hasn't been a 100% PAO based synthetic in a long, long time. Since its second iteration, it's had Group V esters in the base oil blend, too. And the latest SuperSyn iteration has some rather hi-tech (according to MoleKule) PAOs and esters in the base oil blend. But Mobil 1 has never had any Group III in its base oil blend.

You tricky devel G-Man.
grin.gif
. I rember Molakule stated that the new SS might have the additive package dissolved in an Ester base and has no dino oil to dissolve them? Is that what you are saying? And I recall that was just speculation from Molakule. I may be all wet though
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
You tricky devel G-Man.
grin.gif
. I rember Molakule stated that the new SS might have the additive package dissolved in an Ester base and has no dino oil to dissolve them? Is that what you are saying? And I recall that was just speculation from Molakule. I may be all wet though
dunno.gif

No, I verified with Mobil quite awhile back that beginning with the TriSyn formulation, Mobil no longer used a mineral oil as the additive carrier. TriSyn and SuperSyn are both 100% synthetic. The esters used in SuperSyn are part of the overall base oil blend and are not used merely as the additive carrier.

Bror Jace has contributed some great info and opinions to this board, but I wouldn't attribute piston slap phenomena to any oil related issue. That can happen to almost any engine over time regardless of what oil is used. Some people report that the noise is reduced with some oils but I don't think the problem is caused directly by an oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back