Mobil ONE price Increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

It seems to me that Mobil 10W-30 1 has one advantage in cold climates. It is thinner than the other oils. I have been trying to rationalize going to Amsoil or Redline, but here in Northern Illinois it seems there may be some advantage to Mobil 1. I would like someone to demolish my rationale, because I want to try the other oils.

At this particular point, there isn't a real difference among Mobil 1 and Amsoil. I'd go with the least expensive one. If your going to run extended drains, at 12k plus miles, I might lean towards Amsoil.

Hey Guys!
Been a while since I visited here.

Made my payday run to Wally World this afternoon and Mobil 1 is now $22.42 a five quart jug, was $18.88. Decided to visit this site and let every one in on the news, I should have known you all were in on it already.Well I went a head a bought my 1 jug of 10w-30 anyway.
Okay so we all know I am an oil junky, have 7 jugs, and this weekend is oil change time for 6 autos and 1 tractor. I am excited just thinking about it.
I did notice at Wally World that while Mobil 1 price was up, Castrol Syntec had a new low price of $18.88. Before everybody starts screaming and calling me an oil slut, how about giving me some honest opinions on Syntec. Been using it in my truck for a while with no problems.
Also just bought my Baby Girl a 2003 Mazda 6, 4cyl engine, for college graduation. When do you guys think it will be okay to go to synthetic lube in the engine. Will be using 5w-30, Mobil 1 or Syntec.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Every time Mobil 1 increases it's price they lose one of the only benefits they have over oils like Amsoil and Redline.

For all you die hard Mobil 1 users, I have to ask this question. If all three of these oils were priced the same, and were sold in the same store, would you still use Mobil 1? I think the main reason so many people use it over other top quality synthetics is because of it's price and it's availability.

With me, it's not price, it's availablility. I'd be inclined to try Redline, even at a slightly higher price, if it was as readily available as Mobil-1. I already use some of their products in the driveline of one vehicle. It doesn't need changed twice a year though.

Same with Amsoil, but I wouldn't pay more for it especially as long as I see the $ going into their MLM scheme...

[ September 30, 2003, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

honest opinions on Syntec

Regular Syntec looks pretty weak on UOAs, one of the worst synths. The new jug stuff is ACEA A5, a decent spec for a 30 weight oil, but is it reformulated? Their site now mentions "esters", making us wonder. I would use it if it was reformulated over thin 30 weight M1. Otherwise, Rotella Synth is a great oil, I use it myself in all the cars I maintain except my car gets GC.

I just bought a 5L jug of M1 5w-30 SS in Wal-Mart for $27.46 (Canadian, pre-tax). I saw this in another Wal-Mart location later that night also - same size, same low price.

Note: the usual 4.4L jug was on the shelf for $28.46. These 5L jugs were on seperate displays in both stores.

Not unless Mobil got off their butt and matched the other two in terms of product.

As it stands I would use only Redline across the board if price and availeablity were the same. To this end I have already started to make the switch over to Redline products slowly but surely. M1's price keeps going up and Amsoils MLM really iritates me. I am not willing to pay for the privlage of buying their oil at the same price as M1+ shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back