Mobil / Mobil1 - most user friendly brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Average users could care less about TDS or MSDS. That is a BITOG only detail.

How true! My wife, who used to work in safety at a manufacturing plant, saw me checking oil MSDS and asked, "Why are you looking at MSDS?" And then followed it up with, "Oil? OK. Whatever."

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I really Liked EXxon Superflow. back in GF3 and 4 flavours.

I remember Exxon superflo. It was a great product too.

Youths. I remember Exxon Plus (single grade SAE 30, red can), Exxon Extra (blue can), and Uniflow (gold can). And yes, I said CAN, not bottle!

I thought the product actually declined a whole lot during the "Superflo" years, and that's when I actually switched over to Mobil.

Now where'd I put my cane....

As for the original question- Mobil brands definitely have the distribution chain working well. But I'm not sure they are any more available, priced any better, or are more accessible than the SOPUS oils. I don't think I've ever seen a parts store that didn't carry at least Pennzoil and Rotella, and most have Quaker State as well.

Quaker State Synthetic is priced pretty good at $21.00 for the 5 qt. container i will continue using it unless the price goes up then it will be super tech syn...I dont get syn oils in the drums i only get dino 5w20 and 5w30

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: wemay
It may not be your favorite brand but when you really think of it:

Has the most diverse number of products
All said products are easy to find
Price structure is competitive
The TDS and MSDS are easily available, understandable
Has the best website with oil selector included
Always professional on the phone and return emails in a timely manner
how come your vehicles are not using these great Mobil oils?

Oh, i absolutely have. Just not using M1 at this moment. But, for the sake of argument, this is a good question. Before BITOG, i was a Valvoline/Castrol fan. No good reason, just something my dad used so i copied him. Never had trouble with them and that was enough for me. Now that i delve deeper into these products and use whatever resources they offer to help me do so, i can formulate a more educated opinion based on the bullet points. Who know's, i may very well use M1 more often in the future.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
As for the original question- Mobil brands definitely have the distribution chain working well. But I'm not sure they are any more available, priced any better, or are more accessible than the SOPUS oils. I don't think I've ever seen a parts store that didn't carry at least Pennzoil and Rotella, and most have Quaker State as well.

All grades(from 0W20 to 0W40), all types (M1, M1 HM and M1 EP) can be found at Walmart and/or auto parts store.

Can you find all grades of PP and/or PU anywhere ?

Our local WM has a 4 ft section from top to bottom as well as an end cap that is always full! With All Grades as HTSS_TR said. Associate told me they always have a full pallet in backstock! She told me M1 is by far their best seller!

Pennzoil has great oils but they are always out of stock except the Platinum.

IMO, At least here in Kendall, Florida, There is no competition when it comes to availability. Mobil/Mobil 1 wins hands down.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
440Magnum said:
All grades(from 0W20 to 0W40), all types (M1, M1 HM and M1 EP) can be found at Walmart and/or auto parts store.

[Archer voice]
Can anyone NOT?
[/Archer]

My local Pep Boys has the full PU/PP/PYB line as far as I can tell. The only one they never have enough of is PU 0w40 for my 392, but I prefer M1 for it anyway. I will note that more M1 grades are available in jugs.

They do seem to have a large variety, but availability for me is pretty limited.

Finding M1 isnt an issue, but WM has only has MS5K and Mobil Delvac. I have never seen their HM formulation either. AAP and Meijer both have Super Synthetic, but I have to go out of my way to get it and only would consider it if its on sale.. Kinda like Chevron/ Havoline.
smile.gif

Regionally for me, SOPUS wins in regards to having a larger conventional/ blend selection. Regular, HM etc.

Last edited:

Exactly! I'm in southern Riverside county and I have a very hard time finding PU anywhere. Sometimes places like Pep Boys or Autozone will have 2 or 3 quarts of it (at a greatly elevated price). Half a dozen Walmarts that I've been to do NOT stock ULTRA at all! Some have PP, but it is hit or miss because most of the Walmarts close to me are VERY poor at restocking the shelves, and getting someone to check stock is nearly impossible!
frown.gif

[Archer voice]
Can anyone NOT?
[/Archer]

My local Pep Boys has the full PU/PP/PYB line as far as I can tell. The only one they never have enough of is PU 0w40 for my 392, but I prefer M1 for it anyway. I will note that more M1 grades are available in jugs.

Do you remember Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 of couple years ago ? The only place had it was Amazon, no local stores had any.

If you look at variety grades of M1 since 2000(may be a little earlier): 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 and the famous 0W40. On top of these 7 grades there were/are High Mileage flavor of 5W20, 5W30 10W30 and 10W40 and Extended Performance 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 10W40 and the newest 0W20.

Sopus doesn't have all these varieties and most of the times not all Sopus available grades can be found locally.

It is very clear that Exxon/Mobil has better marketing than others, somehow they get local stores stock their oil grades better than anyone else.

I used to be a Mobil 1 fanboy back in the early 90's to early 2000's before I quit using it and have never used it since. I also don't plan on ever using it again.

While I think it will protect an engine just fine, I didn't like how noisy my engines were while using it or the fact that they used more oil while using it and this was on two brand new vehicles at the time.

I was also big into oil analysis back then and my analysis results were not what I considered that great compared to what I was paying for the oil.

I'm sure Mobil 1 and Mobil oils in general are better quality today than back when I used it, but there really hasn't been any incentive that I can see for me to try it again.

The $1.99 Trop Artic synthetic blend that I use does just fine and I'm sure the engines in all of my vehicles will outlive the rest of the vehicle.

I've been on this site for about 16 years and I've come to the conclusion that most people over analyze what oil to use. Except for a few small instances, I think for the most part it really doesn't matter what oil you use as long as it is one of the major brands because most people are going to get rid of the vehicle way before the engine gives it up or the rest of the vehicle will have problems way before the engine does and people will get rid of it because of that.

For me personally, ever since I found out I could get Trop Artic on sale for $1.99 a quart and since I have really not read any bad things about it, I'm going to just use it. My vehicles seem to run just fine on it. I only run Motorcraft in the Mustang because that is what I started running in it and with the problems I've had with Ford's warranty process, I will stick with it. It also seems like it is a good oil as well.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Exactly! I'm in southern Riverside county and I have a very hard time finding PU anywhere. Sometimes places like Pep Boys or Autozone will have 2 or 3 quarts of it (at a greatly elevated price).

Interesting.... I was in my local PB today to pick up a gallon of Rotella so I made a point to count floor tiles under each display to get a relative size.

The Mobil section is 4 shelves tall by 4 tiles (4 feet) wide, and it includes M1 TDT. The regular Mobil (including HM) is in another section about 2 tiles and 4 shelves tall. Delvac gets part of a shelf in the HDEO section with Rotella, Delo, VPB,and the others. The M1 section is very complete, including AFE, ESP, EP, regular M1, and grades from 0w20 through 0w40

Pennzoil (including platinum, ultra, yellow bottle, high mileage, Quaker State, and Formula Shell) has a section >10 feet long by 4 shelves high! Today they had 2 bottles of PU 0w40 (old formula before PUP), but I saw 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40HM and pretty much all the other common grades many bottles deep on the shelves.

Maybe my store's just exceptional, but the impression I've always carried with me is that "you can just flat get Pennzoil anywhere."

440Magnum: Just a second to go off topic! I remember loving getting to make the 2 holes in one side of the can and 1 breather hole on the opposite side of the can of the Quacker State Deluxe for Dad when changing oil in our autos. I got to use a small hammer and screw driver or the bottle opener with the point at the end. I was still doing this when I turned 16 and was changing my own oil in MY Truck! Love the Leaking Cans!

SOPUS oil selection here in So. Cal is really spotty, most AZ and PB I request just don't stock the Ultras or the 40wt oil for Euro cars. But I can always find a full selection of Mobil/Exxon products whether I'm at a Walmart or AZ/PB stores.

This is a very timely thread... I just got home from Autozone and came here to do some Mobil research. I stood in front of the oil shelves for a not insignificant amount of time, trying to decide what the difference between all the different Mobil synthetics was.

I wound up buying the $3.99/qt Mobil Super Synthetic, rather than the oil change special Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic. The Mobil 1 filter was $12.99 vs the Bosch that I usually get at $6.99, so the oil change special wasn't all that attractive at $34.

I still am not entirely sure what the differences between all the different synthetics are... so I guess I'm off to do some more research. For me, at that exact moment standing in front of the oil rack, the extra options were confusing. They weren't just trying to out-buzzword the competition, they were competing against themselves!

I like using Mobil 1 in my vehicles because I know it's quality will be great, and I know I'll never have trouble finding it, unlike problems I've had with Pennzoil Ultra and the original GC.

M1 doesn't play games with it's marketing and distribution, wherever you go, Mobil 1 is available. The search for the holy grail might have been fun for me at one point, but after a while it gets tiresome.

IMO, At least here in Kendall, Florida, There is no competition when it comes to availability. Mobil/Mobil 1 wins hands down.

You would think in Kendall, FL. -- the most popular brand of oil would be KENDALL...

Originally Posted By: Nightmare

You would think in Kendall, FL. -- the most popular brand of oil would be KENDALL...

33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back