Mobil M1 5W-40, 7920 mi, 1997 Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA is from a friend's car. His car has the same engine as mine, so you may want to compare his result to mine, especially since we both put essentially the same amount of miles on the same oil in the exact same type motor. His engine may have a few performance modifications, while mine is almost stock. Please discuss!

My friend's UOA:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/moribundman/MD_UOA.jpg

For comparison, my UOA:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/moribundman/myUOA.jpg

Please note similar oil consumption of both engines. I have mentioned in the past that upward of 0.5 qts/1k miles oil consumption is common in those engines (Even if they don't leak).

And you are right, I have talked a few of my fellow Audi owners into using M1 5W-40 and into UOAs. I'm hoping to see more of them.
grin.gif

[ May 20, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

What strikes me is that both these engines have very high oil consumption of the M1 5w40 which doesn't seem characteristic of the 2.8l engine.

If you were reading the Audiworld 12v Development forum, you would know that oil consumption of our 12v engines is commonly even higher. Maybe it has to do with the way we drive. I know, I can cut oil consumption in half by driving lame.

Wow, those engines drink alot of oil.
freak2.gif
More then the Honda S2000 even. Report looks good.
smile.gif

As far as lead levels being low, I suppose that means that the oil has ample enough viscosity for the conditions experienced over the OCI.

For the universal averages, what it the average miles for the OCI?

Things look good, though with that much make-up oil, it almost seems like you're flushing the oil throughout the OCI. Interesting. If that were so, silicon aside, you could perhaps get away with even higher OCI's without much trouble.

I was told the silicon number was suspiciously low and an obstructed filter was presumed. My filter looks almost clean and I remove loose debris every 6 months. The filter in the A4 is oversized and I guess filtration is above average. I also make sure my airbox and intake (post-filter: MAF, tubing, plenum) are very well sealed. I'm sure the same thing applies to my buddy's car.

Results look fine ...I'd step out to a 10,000 mile oil change interval. If you are burning this much Delvac 1, I think you need new piston rings. I only burn about 1/4 quart of oil every 3000 miles in my 1.8L, 225 Hp Audi TT and I drive it like a crazy man (at least when my wife isn't in the car
wink.gif
).

If you are burning oil, you are burning the suspended dirt as well, since these particles are microscopic. At the very least they are going out the tailpipe and hence their Si concentration in the oil is staying very low. By the way, this is true for wear metals as well. They are not left behind when the oil is burned...

Ted

TooSlick, now you are confusing me by saying the rings are probably shot. Before, you commented on my UOA by saying:

quote:

Morbundman,

Yes, it would show up as increased solids, depleted TBN and high oxidation/nitration.

You probably could benefit in this case by replacing the valve stem seals ....I think the rings are just fine.

TS

So, are the rings shot or fine?

As for the valve stem seals, I'm sure they've been bad for about 50k miles.

I'm currently using DELO 400 for the ARX "rinse phase" and the engine has consumed no noticeable amount of oil over the past 900 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back