Mobil home mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was just getting into cars and building my first engine, the guy at the speed shop told me the best oil to use is 2QT Mobile 1 10W-30 and 3QT of Conv. Mobile 10W-30 in any american V8, and change every 5K. I still use this to this day, is there anything wrong with doing this?

Mark

I don't consider it that bad an idea, actually.

David Vizard promotes it in quite a few of his books, so there's some very intelligent people doing it.

When I was a poor uni student, I used to do just that, 30-40% M1 15W-50, the balance Duckhams 15W-50.

At least you know how much synth is in your homemade blend.

Ummmm... Whats Conv??
blush.gif

I kinda like the 10W-30 with 15W-50

Mark,

While I do think Mobil makes a solidly performing synthetic, I do not have confidence in their conventional oils. I would strongly recommend against diluting the performance of M1 by mixing it with Mobil Drive Clean. My recommendation is based on performance data I have seen over the years and review of tech data on Mobil's website. Obviously, since it is SL/GF-3 it will not hurt your engine, but you can do better than the mixing idea. If cost IS an object then I understand that you want to balance performance with cost and would accept your proposal. If performance, not cost, is your primary driver, I would NOT mix.

pscholte,

Cost is one of my objects to running just M1. I do not trust any oil for 10K+ miles between changes to make M1 cost effective. What oil would you recomend? I have read that most synthetic blends are under 10% synthetic, my way it's 40%. I put close to 2.5K a month on my work car, which is 90% highway.

Mark

Well, Mark, if you want to mix a Group IV or V oil with a conventional, you've only got two choices where you don't have to order the oil and have it shipped to you: Mobil and Castrol (German variety). Since we can't seem to get a good handle on exactly how GC is formulated, I'm not prepared at this point to recommend mixing GC with Castrol GTX. SO, given your objective, I would go with the Mobil 1, but I would reverse the ratio, 3qts M1 10W30 and 2qts Mobil Drive Clean. You certainly will NOT hurt your engine going the route originally recommended to you, but it is not the mix I would use. I try to make recommendations based on what I would be willing to do in MY engine, because if I don't believe in it what business do I have recommending that you do it? Again, that being said, it is YOUR engine after all, and the mix you first proposed will, barring unexpected internal problems, give your engine decent protection.

Markk9- I've been running the same mix & emailed mobil awhile back, asking them if this would be better/worse than mobil drive clean blend. Here's mobil's (lame, corporate
rolleyes.gif
) reply:

quote:

Mobil Product Information [[email protected]]

No this is not the same, Drive Clean Blend has more additives than the conventional therefor it will protect better. You can mix our synthetic oil with conventional
but most of the conventional oil can dilute the additives of the synthetic.

I'm sure it boils down to $$. Mobil would rather sell you the mobil drive clean blend due to the higher profit margin for them. You can do this mix for about $11, where buying 5qts of MDC blend will run you $15.
G/luck
Joel

Dump anything you want into the engine, oil is oil, right?

But to me what you are doing is just playing, pick one oil and go with that. Mixing them is just home brew, you are not getting the best of 2 oils, just half of one and half of the other.

Like have 4 brands on tires on your car, the car will still drive but what are you accomplishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back