Mobil Full Synthetic to be Dexos 1 Approved

*** UPDDATE *** I had emailed Mobil Oil as to why the Mobil Full Synthetic was not Dexos 1 approved:

May 7th 2020 Mobil response:

I'm not clear, yet, on why this does not carry a Dexos1 approval, but it's on our agenda for a conference call on Monday. You probably won't be the only customer with this question, and I want to be sure we get the right answer. As long as it does not carry a GM license, however, I can not recommend it in any 2011 or newer GM vehicle.

May 11th 2020 Mobil response:

Happy Monday! We just wrapped up our call and I've got some good news. Mobil Full Synthetic in 0W-20 and 5W-30 will be receiving GM Dexos1 approvals. With the current COVID-19 situation, approvals are slow coming as the testing labs are not considered "essential."

So it appears Dexos 1 approval is just delayed due to the backlog at testing/certification labs. I have some quarts that do not have the approval, but I'll have no issue using in a late model GM now that I know what's going on.

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

Last edited:
Thanks for chasing that down; Which diesel are you using it in? j/k.

Seems to be an important spec for many; I guess gone are the days it was branded by some BITOGrs only as a money grab.

Unless any oil with a Dexos rating can resolve GM's oil burning in their cars, they can keep it. I'll continue to use any oil I want in my wife's car, as its out of warranty now. Check the new and used analysis, that rating isn't nothing to overpay for.,,

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Thanks for chasing that down; Which diesel are you using it in? j/k.

Seems to be an important spec for many; I guess gone are the days it was branded by some BITOGrs only as a money grab.

Thought GM diesels were Dexos 2 (light duty) & Dexos D (HD?)?

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Why is Dexos certification THAT important?

I honestly don't give a care less myself. I choose the oil I want and never had any oil related issue.

banana2.gif

So they can put it in a black bottle with an AC Delco label on it.

Because if GM says it

It's the Gospel !!!!!

JOKE !!!

Dexos is one of the many marketing games at the moment .

I'm sure Dexos 3 is coming soon to get more money !

How does Ford and Nissan and Toyota and Mazda and MB and Jag pour oil in their engines that don't have the blessings of Dexos ?

I like using D1g2 in my vehicles that don't require using it. The requirements to be D1g2 certified are impressive and it doesn't cost any more than non-certified oil.

Dexos2 is what I run in my 2.4l diesel colorado.

I use Dexos1 in my dad's 2016 GMC Canyon with gasoline powered V6. From what I have read online Dexos1 is suppose to be designed to perform better in these direct injection engines. Not saying that a non Dexos1 oil does not meet the criteria, but Dexos1 does.

Dexos testing is pretty harsh and any oil with this certification is a stout oil. And when it doesn't cost more than non-certified oils, it's an easy way to get a great value. And for people getting ready to flame me, I guess it's necessary to say this: just because an oil is not Dexos certified, doesn't mean it would not pass the test... there are lots of great oils that do not carry the Dexos certification. The manufacturer just hasn't paid for the testing (e.g. AMSOIL).

Originally Posted by DGXR
Dexos testing is pretty harsh and any oil with this certification is a stout oil. And when it doesn't cost more than non-certified oils, it's an easy way to get a great value. And for people getting ready to flame me, I guess it's necessary to say this: just because an oil is not Dexos certified, doesn't mean it would not pass the test... there are lots of great oils that do not carry the Dexos certification. The manufacturer just hasn't paid for the testing (e.g. AMSOIL).

A common sentiment on here, but that's not the reason for Amsoil. They tell you right in their PDS why it does not meet the licensing requirements.

Originally Posted by Marco620
My gripe with dexos is its a GM thing. I'm more inclined to look for hto6 approval than that of being dexos or not.

HTO6 means what for a daily driver? It was a very niche certification.

As a GM vehicle owner, I am used to choosing an oil with the dexos approval. It isn't very difficult and can be readily found at any auto parts store, Walmart, Target, or wherever. In a pinch or emergency, I would use whatever full synthetic is available and be perfectly happy. However, when changing my oil I use an OEM filter with a dexos licensed oil.

Who would even use this oil in the first place and why? You can get Mobil 1 for a cheaper price at Walmart, and it's better. Seems to me like this oil has no market whatsoever.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
Who would even use this oil in the first place and why? You can get Mobil 1 for a cheaper price at Walmart, and it's better. Seems to me like this oil has no market whatsoever.
21.gif

Dexos is not an oil. Dexos is a certification stating that the oil in the bottle -- whatever brand or grade it is -- has passed GM's specific dexos testing process. Most new GM vehicles require this approval for the motor oil, maybe all new ones, I'm not sure. You will find the dexos approved symbol on various oil brands/grades including SuperTech, Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, and yes Mobil 1 also. Dexos approved oils are not any more expensive than non-approved oils. The 10w30 Mobil 1 that I use in the Corvette is not dexos approved but it is very good oil, and it's the *exact* same price as the dexos approved 5w30 grade. And it sells very well so there is definitely a market.

Oh wait, you're a moderator... nevermind
laugh.gif

but wasn't Patman's point that you could buy Mobil 1 that does meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec cheaper at Walmart than buying a "lower on the totem pole" Mobil Full Synthetic at the Dollar Store that meets the same spec???

Bill

Back