Mobil Full Synthetic 5W30 (not Mobil 1) - PQIA

This stuff is interesting. 100ppm more moly than Mobil 1 EP, about 300ppm more Calcium, and about 200ppm less Magnesium.
mobil full syn 5w20-3.jpg

mobil full syn 5w20-1.jpg

mobil full syn 5w20-2.jpg

Seems like most of the SP formulations are low Ca/higher Mg with some B/Mo. High moly/low Ca supposedly helps with LSPI.

Interesting to see…I ran this all of last winter in my G5. I can attest to it having very good cold-start properties, start ups were fast down to -25 to -30C.
However, I was disappointed by it - there was more tc/valve train noise with it, and when I drained it after 5 months/7.5k miles, there was a decent amount of dull aluminum glitter in the drain pan. Doesn’t seem like it protected very well.
I dunno, could just be my engine giving up, but it does seem to be quieter with 10W-30 conventional, so doing short changes with that for the summer.

Most manufacturers have gotten away from sodium as it was found to be a player in LSPI.

This Mobil is pretty much what you'd expect from an entry level syn from a major, I'm sure it would work well but it definitely is not at the level of the top tier offerings add pack wise. You can be certain the moly is the cheap stuff, which is less effective than the trinuclear moly even at higher levels. The highest offerings all get trinuclear. Boron is present but again not at the levels you often see when it's used in higher tier offerings.

It's still a full syn from a major it would be just fine for most applications.

Back