Mobil Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum here, so I apologize if this has been answered a hundred times before. Can someone tell me the difference between the Mobil 1 synthetic and the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oils? Is is worth the extra money? I have a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L and I want to run synthetic in it for the first oil change. Thanks in advance.

You generally get what you pay for with oil, so the EP will have "some" added benefit and is designed and tested more for long drains. However, if you don't plan to go past 10k miles, stick with regular Mobil 1. Welcome.

Dont run synthetic your first oil change. Switch to synthetic on your second oil change.

Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 EP, one lasts longer than the other. If your changing the oil at the recommended time, Mobil 1 is PLENTY fine. You dont need the Extended Performance. However since Extended Performance is only $4 more, [censored] yeah i would buy it.

If you really wana get some good stuff, consider Pennzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Dont run synthetic your first oil change. Switch to synthetic on your second oil change.

What's the logic in that statement? You can switch over to synthetic whenever you want.

Synthetic on the first oil change is fine.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

What's the logic in that statement? You can switch over to synthetic whenever you want.

+1

I prefer not to, it would help with the break-in. The engine is not designed with synthetic in mind. There are alot of UOA that show the engine is still breaking-in even after the first oil change. I read awhile ago in my friends S2000 owners manual to not switch to synthetic until after 7500 miles.

Since you have a new Jeep, I'd say run regular Mobil 1. And yeah, you can run it whenever you want, even the first oil change.

The reason why I'd say skip Extended Performance? You won't use it. Properly done you might be able to run a longer OCI with EP, with UOA's to verify, as its a more stout oil for long oil runs. However; if you value your warranty you won't run OCI's past the manufacturers recommendations. Failing to change it according to their word is a fast way to lose your entire engine warranty. I'd save the money.

Most Jeeps will run on dino so even a good synthetic, which regular Mobil 1 is, will be a nice "upgrade".

The engine is not designed with synthetic in mind.

???

Many engines come filled with synthetic straight from the factory these days.

I used Mobil 1 in our 03 CRV when it only had about 40,000 miles on it and the valvetrain made a lot of noise at idle. I then switched over to Pennzoil Platinum and the valvetrain noise disappeared. I never went back to the standard Mobil 1. Eventually Mobil 1 EP came out and I thought I would give it a try. I was scared that the valvetrain noise would come back but to my happiness, there was no valvetrain noise at idle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

???

This is not one of them.

I prefer not to, it would help with the break-in. The engine is not designed with synthetic in mind. There are alot of UOA that show the engine is still breaking-in even after the first oil change. I read awhile ago in my friends S2000 owners manual to not switch to synthetic until after 7500 miles.

S2000 factory fill is conventional and Honda recommends only change to synthetic on second oil change after first oil change with conventional.

Honda also recommends keeping 7500 miles OCI with either conventional or synthetic for the S2000 without oil life monitor (2005 or older)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

???

This is not one of them.

True, however there is no real difference in how slick a good dino SN oil is compared to A synthetic SN oil. The synthetic just offers a base stock which can handle harsher operating conditions, and performs slightly better under the extremes. I guarantee any engine will break in exactly the same on MS5K as it will on M1 EP. Synthetic isn't necessarily slicker than dino oil, it is just generally a more stout overall package.

Last edited:
exactly. run what you will, but drain it when your told. no liberty on that.

*BTW-all old Jeeps like the dino. go on the Pennzoil site and sopus recommends conventional pennzoil (96 cherokee xj 4.0), with pennzoil HM as "meeting requirements". in fact pennzoil seems to recommend platinum and ultra for everything but an old jeep motor.
new jeeps are just new Dodges with a different facia.

Many cars come with sythetic from the factory.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

S2000 factory fill is conventional and Honda recommends only change to synthetic on second oil change after first oil change with conventional.

Honda also recommends keeping 7500 miles OCI with either conventional or synthetic for the S2000 without oil life monitor (2005 or older)

Thank you for confirming!

Originally Posted By: G35_TX

Many cars come with sythetic from the factory.

This is true, in which case keep using the specified synthetic oil. The Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6 (the engine in question) is not an engine that comes factory fill this synthetic. Hence why i suggested to do the first oil change with conventional or synthetic blend.

This is true, in which case keep using the specified synthetic oil. The Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6 (the engine in question) is not an engine that comes factory fill this synthetic. Hence why i suggested to do the first oil change with conventional or synthetic blend.

I agree.
For vehicles that have factory fill with conventional I would switch to synthetic on second oil change if I like to use synthetic for extend drain interval.

Use exactly what the manufacturer approves and change it at the recommended interval until the engine is fully broken in, then read the warranty terms including the lubrication page to see what is allowed in oil type and OCI terms. Unless you have done some real good homework use a real manufacturers oil filter.
The lubrication page of the warranty terms sometimes allows the use of heavier oils than are listed in the handbook, which might be of interest if your Jeep is subject to exterme service or high temperatures.
When selecting an oil always use the oil finder page of the oil company web site to see if it is recommended for your engine type and if it lists a rather light oil, then cross check it by checking the oil finder page in the UK or Germany (Just add .co.uk or .de)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back