Mobil ESP 0W40 '17 Malibu 1.5T

So 87 octane vs 95 octane ( europe's high octane at a USA rating level) appears to make no difference in LSPI propagation What he say?
Not anywhere I’ve seen. Normal octane related pre-ignition (pinging or knocking) is not the same thing as LSPI. I have seen papers that suggest that the means of increasing the apparent octane rating may have a link but not the rating itself.

Let me ask you this question kschachn... I am not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my intent at all. I'm just curious about what you would do in the following circumstance.

Let's say you had a hamster powered 1.8 L motor like was in my Sentra... And you added a 88 mm turbo to it.... Would you just run 87 in it or 93 ??

Of course there's a difference in causation/reason between low speed pre ignition and typical pinging and knocking.

Let's add you are running a API SP and Dexos gen 2 approved oil in that motor.

Let me ask you this question kschachn... I am not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my intent at all. I'm just curious about what you would do in the following circumstance.

Let's say you had a hamster powered 1.8 L motor like was in my Sentra... And you added a 88 mm turbo to it.... Would you just run 87 in it or 93 ??

Of course there's a difference in causation/reason between low speed pre ignition and typical pinging and knocking.

Let's add you are running a API SP and Dexos gen 2 approved oil in that motor.
Well come on I’m no expert, I was just commenting on the idea that regular pre-ignition isn’t the same as LSPI. But yeah I use higher octane in the old Sienna because the owner’s manual says iit can benefit from it. So if your ECM can compensate with the ignition timing, by all means do so if you wish to go down that route. My even more hamsterish ECHO with the 1.5L engine (but no turbo) has a similar compression ratio as the Sienna but the manual doesn't mention it will perform better with higher octane, and I don't know enough to be able to interpret my OBDII timing advance graphs to tell if it does or not.

I scoured my new VW manual with the rat powered (but turbo) Budack cycle 2.0, but nowhere does it even hint that anything other than 87 will be of benefit. Maybe I need to learn how to read and interpret the advancement graphs?

Well come on I’m no expert, I was just commenting on the idea that regular pre-ignition isn’t the same as LSPI. But yeah I use higher octane in the old Sienna because the owner’s manual says iit can benefit from it. So if your ECM can compensate with the ignition timing, by all means do so if you wish to go down that route. My even more hamsterish ECHO with the 1.5L engine (but no turbo) has a similar compression ratio as the Sienna but the manual doesn't mention it will perform better with higher octane, and I don't know enough to be able to interpret my OBDII timing advance graphs to tell if it does or not.

I scoured my new VW manual with the rat powered (but turbo) Budack cycle 2.0, but nowhere does it even hint that anything other than 87 will be of benefit. Maybe I need to learn how to read and interpret the advancement graphs?

It was just a curious question... That's all.

Sounds like you need the beginners course for reading hieroglyphics... That is the prerequisite for the class on reading the ECM advancement graphics... :LOL:

I know changing the tune can make a difference... I saw a Street Iutlaws race where Big Chief changed the ECM tune on Daddy Dave's car so it would make one last good run against Ryan Martin and his Fireball Camaro. Dave won that race but melted a piston in the process. His car was not running it's best but well enough to win that race for the number one spot and ten thousand dollars.

I have zero doubt a regular car or truck can be tuned to run on 87 gasoline. The question I have is that set up tune is ok but not the most efficient or most effective or the best given it's a turbo boosted motor? I tend to believe it is not the optimum or best tune for that modification.

Something tells me guys that say have a motor like mine or a VQ 3.7... and add a supercharger or turbo... They quite likely have the tune setup changed from orginal settings in order to maximize the new setup. And I would bet the fuel has to change right along with that computer change too.

@kschachn congrats on the Tiguan. What oil are you using?
I used ESP for the first change, I'll let the dealer change it at the normally scheduled interval because it's "free". I picked up some Castrol 5W-30 LL for the one after that at Walmart.com.

When I picked up a filter I asked if they would use 504.00 oil for the free change and they said they would.

I used ESP for the first change, I'll let the dealer change it at the normally scheduled interval because it's "free". I picked up some Castrol 5W-30 LL for the one after that at Walmart.com.

When I picked up a filter I asked if they would use 504.00 oil for the free change and they said they would.
There supposed to use 508 if by-the-book but like you, i asked the Parts Department and Service area about 0W30 504 in the Passat and they each said it wouldn't be a problem, just to be upfront with them in case of an issue. I've been very happy with the PP Euro 5W-40. To the point where i bought more for the next change.

Back