Mobil Drive Clean Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using this oil yet? I am wondering if 10W-30 Drive Clean Plus syn blend is superior to the good dino oils (Pennzoil / Chevron). I know that the old Drive Clean Blend was not all that impressive, but what about the "plus"?

Thanks!

You can do a search for Drive Clean (Use a title search). The results are not that impressive and the additive package is not very impressive. In my opinion you would be better off using Pennzoil, Mororcraft, Chevron Supreme or GTX. I wouldn't extend the milage for the Drive Clean-so what's the benefit.

If you are looking for a blend-I'd say go for the Schaeffers's Supreme Blend. Schaeffer's says it is good for 9K miles.

There is not any UOA's nor VOA's of the new Drive Clean Plus on the forum .

Joeee12 does have a UOA of the Drive Clean Blend though and it did as well as the Mobil SS albeit at low miles on the interval .

I would expect the DC+ to outperform the old blend that was a very much overlooked oil
smile.gif

As far as the plain Drive Clean not a good oil please take a look at this oil analysis. Looks fine to me !
smile.gif
Most the other DC analysis are in bad engines with problems . Not the oils fault .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000984

[ December 16, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

I am actually going back to the blend on the next UOA in my Explorer. I was very happy with the results that I achieved with this oil. The oil did very well considering I was towing quite a bit with it. Look at the following UOA, the blend is UOA numbers 2 and 3. I was doing no towing with the Mobil 1, which was interval #4:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001017

There is also a rebate of $3 for a six pack case of the Mobil Plus, but hurry, it ends December 31st:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Files/DCPTearpad_RETAIL.pdf

-Joe

[ December 16, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Originally posted by Motorbike:

As far as the plain Drive Clean not a good oil please take a look at this oil analysis. Looks fine to me !
smile.gif
Most the other DC analysis are in bad engines with problems . Not the oils fault .
-------------------------------------------------

I wholeheartedly agree!!
I don't know why Drive Clean turns everybody off on this board. I use it on all my vehicles and have never had a problem. They are Toyota, Chevy, and Mercury. From 4 banger to v-8, all with high mileage except for the Chevy. And I never have to add oil between 5-7K changes. I finally sold a Plymouth Grand Voyager about 2 years ago with 200K miles on it, and the engine was still tight and smooth running. It used 1 qt of oil between changes, but always did from the day I bought it in 1993.
If some on this board wants to keep flaming Drive Clean, then go for it. All I know is that for me, it has been a great oil.

Ronnie

I agree!! DC+ worked fine for me too. Regular DC, i don't know, never used it .....
quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
I am actually going back to the blend on the next UOA in my Explorer. I was very happy with the results that I achieved with this oil. The oil did very well considering I was towing quite a bit with it. Look at the following UOA, the blend is UOA numbers 2 and 3. I was doing no towing with the Mobil 1, which was interval #4:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001017

There is also a rebate of $3.60 for a six pack case of the Mobil Plus, but hurry, it ends December 31st. -Joe

Motorbike, Eastexan,
I agree. I've used plain Mobil Drive Clean for many years (even when it was Mobil Super HP, I think) and have never ever had an engine problem. I would blissfully put in Mobil DC and drive thousands of miles, then trade the car when everything else started to break.
grin.gif

I think Mobil DC is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the oil world. Here's to you MDC,
cheers.gif
, you've served me well.

What's weird to me about MDC is (unless their numbers are in error) the flashpoints for ALL the MDC conventional multiweights is a thoroughly unimpressive 392F, based on Mobil's spec sheet. In comparision, for 10w-30 oils, Citgo and Chevron/Texaco have FPs of 451F and 450F, respectively...then there's MDC bringing up the rear at 392F. Based on this, I wouldn't even carry MDC in the trunk of a car that tended to run hot, let alone put it in the crankcase.

Not sure what Mobil's claim of 392F across the board is, but it's enough for me to run away from this particular oil...

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
What's weird to me about MDC is (unless their numbers are in error) the flashpoints for ALL the MDC conventional multiweights is a thoroughly unimpressive 392F, based on Mobil's spec sheet. In comparision, for 10w-30 oils, Citgo and Chevron/Texaco have FPs of 451F and 450F, respectively...then there's MDC bringing up the rear at 392F. Based on this, I wouldn't even carry MDC in the trunk of a car that tended to run hot, let alone put it in the crankcase.

Not sure what Mobil's claim of 392F across the board is, but it's enough for me to run away from this particular oil...

TC, if you towed as much as I did with this oil in my Explorer and saw the UOA results, you would be happy with it. For $2.20 a quart, I am very happy with it. The oil did not shear down with all of the heavy towing, at it was a really hot summer here in Ga this summer, so I don't feel the 392F flashpoint was that much of a concern
smile.gif
-Joe

I just found this on Mobil's website, it is from the MSDS sheet for the 10W30 Plus. It says the flashpoint is 442F -Joe

Typical physical properties are given below. Consult Product Data Sheet
for specific details.
APPEARANCE: Liquid
COLOR: Amber
ODOR: Mild
ODOR THRESHOLD-ppm: NE
pH: NA
BOILING POINT C(F): NE
MELTING POINT C(F): NA
FLASH POINT C(F): 228(442) (ASTM D-92)
FLAMMABILITY (solids): NE
AUTO FLAMMABILITY C(F): NA
EXPLOSIVE PROPERTIES: NA
OXIDIZING PROPERTIES: NA
VAPOR PRESSURE-mmHg 20 C: < 0.1
VAPOR DENSITY: > 2.0
EVAPORATION RATE: NE
RELATIVE DENSITY, 15/4 C: 0.87
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: Negligible
PARTITION COEFFICIENT: > 3.5
VISCOSITY AT 40 C, cSt: 75.0
VISCOSITY AT 100 C, cSt: 11.5
POUR POINT C(F): -40(-40)
FREEZING POINT C(F): NE
VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUND: NE
DMSO EXTRACT, IP-346 (WT.%): NA=NOT APPLICABLE NE=NOT ESTABLISHED D=DECOMPOSES
FOR FURTHER TECHNICAL INFORMATION, CONTACT YOUR MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY

If I can find enough of this at Wally World I'll be using it for my next change.

It meets my needs of cost, desire for a little synthetic, and a slightly thicker oil for a hot hot summer.

I know we have discussions about two different oils here, so I'd like to comment on both:

1. The dino. Drive Clean gets a bad rap because of a bad spec. sheet. I always thought real world performance was pretty good, however. I always took Mobil at their word when they said this stuff would keep you engine cleaner. What's more important in the real world, detergency or higher flash point?

2. Blends always get a bad rap because they're supposed to only be 10% synthetic (usually group III) except for Schaeffers. In reality, we've seen some pretty good UOA's from blends. This stuff should be no different if the price is right.

I'm tired of seeing so many Mobil 1/ Amsoil UOA's, although that's understandable since people spending more on oil would tend to spend on testing as well. I hope more people who use less popular oils spend the bucks and post the results as well. In some popular oils, such as Quaker State, the lack of posted results is really strange-- goes to show that this small group of enthusiasts results are more anecdotal than anything else.

The listed flash point is for firefighting measures so if one was to pick an oil based entirely on flash point dino's would be opted for over a groovy Diester oil like Synergyn with like 406F for the 3/30 and 420F for their 5/30 .

I too think the blends will hold their own .I would really like to try the 10/40 Mobil Drive Clean + Blend .I really wish Buster would try it since he racks the miles up quick...less waiting time
smile.gif

Hmmmm .

Mom
phone.gif
Bring your car over ..time for an oil change again
smile.gif

I'm looking at a Mobil spec sheet I have, dated June 2003, for "Mobil Drive Clean Oil," their conventional non-syn, non-blended product. All of the five multiweights covered have flashpoints listed at 392F. The 5w-20 is the same as the 20w-50, so I'm wondering if they didn't make an error here. Their other oils (blends, etc.) will presumably have different flashpoints.

As well as having significance to firefighting, flashpoints are but one indicator of a oil's base stock quality, its resistance to oxidation (burning), and the likelihood that it will leave deposits (a lesser likelihood of oxidation or vaporization will likely lead to fewer deposits). As a rule, the high-end oils have high flashpoints, and vice-versa for low-end products, so there is relevance as to how the oil will perform. I once had a friend who raced a modified, hot-running, non-water cooled turbo Ford Thunderbird several years ago with a sports car club I was in. Not to bad-mouth MDC, but that might be but one good example of an application where other oils would certainly be a better choice than MDC.

[ December 17, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Originally posted by TC:
"I once had a friend who raced a modified, hot-running, non-water cooled turbo Ford Thunderbird several years ago with a sports car club I was in."
-------------------------------------------------
OK... Well the next time I get a modified, hot-running, non-water cooled turbo car, then I may consider using another oil (but I doubt it).

By the way, I hope the MDC in my work truck don't find out that it's an inferior oil, and that I live in TEXAS, or it would surely burn off & vaporize.

Ronnie

I have used Drive Clean Blend and was not impressed with it. I did not have a bad UOA with it. My complaint was consumption. I had a truck that had been feed a steady diet of 15W50 and 10w30 M1. I put it in this truck wich did not burn more then 1/2-1 quart in 7500 mile oil change interval. The truck went through 1 quart a week with Drive Clean Blend. I also had this oil in a new truck that had been running the same diet of 15W50 warm months 10W30 winter M1. It consumed almost a quart a week as well and this truck only a year old at the time. I drained it out and went back to M1 and did not ever have a problem again. The new truck never burnt any oil between oil changes other then that one time. THe older truck I used all the Drive Clean Blend up in it toping off until gone then went back to M1.

We do not have any Drive Clean Plus UOA so I say go for it. I would keep a close eye on consuption though!! Run a UOA after 5000 miles and we can see what we see. I think it is not that great of a buy though. If you buy Mobil 1 at Cosco or SAM's club you can buy M1 for $3.89 a quart in the six pack case. We know that you can easily go 7500 and beyound with M1!

I used Mobil DCO in Mom's A6 and the consumption was horrible. I decided to get serious and run some synth in it and Valvoline SynPower cut use in half, GC cut it in half again. These engines burn oil and I remember some MaxLife in there that burned off too.
dunno.gif
I would consider DCO for a flushing oil, that's it. On the other hand, Synth Blends seem to be working well, I will be using ~some~ sort of HM or blend oil instead of HDEO this summer because of the 15w cold-cranking is too high and lack of esters. New Mobil DCO Blend seems like a maybe, I can report that it smells good.
grin.gif

TSOA, for once we are in total agreement. This does not happen often! So when two people on different sides of the fence can universaly agree on something then it must be a universal truth in the universe!!!

Hence Forth I proclaim Mobil Drive Clean and Drive Clean BLend black listed for all bitog members! Their is to be no mention of this name from hence forth!!!

fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back