Mobil Drive Clean PLUS specs now up on M's Web page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those look a lot different from the Drive Clean Blend specs. I guess this is an "all new" oil? The 10W-30 seems to be on the thick side for a 10W-30 grade.

Drive Clean Plus is basically Drive Clean Blend, only in a new bottle. It's marketing towards the high mileage engines. Once one does it, they all have to follow. I think it's a good alternative to M1, if the price is right. They are heavier 30wt. oils and now even offer a 10w-40. I'd like to see a Mobil 1 10w-40. It would be much more shear stable then the mega spread 0w-40.

If they price the 5W-30 and 10W-30 under $3.25, and if these oils are rated ACEA A3-02 with the high High Temp/High Shear rating, they'll give Schaeffer oils a run for the money.

Ken

quote:

Drive Clean Plus is basically Drive Clean Blend, only in a new bottle.

I'm not so sure about that. The Drive Clean Blend 10W-30 had a lower viscosity and a lower pour point. If the new specs on the website are correct, I'd guess they are doing something different.

Any thoughts on if it will contail moly? M1 seems to have it, but drive clean oil doesn't...

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
The Drive Clean Blend 10W-30 had a lower viscosity and a lower pour point. If the new specs on the website are correct, I'd guess they are doing something different.

There've been posts that M1 tends to the light side for given weights. Since the MDC Plus data suggests the viscosity is somewhat on the robust side, what's anyone's take that the "synthetic" component of this new formulation might be a Group-III or Group-III+? Or are my concerns just poppy-poop?

I'm not sure about them being on the light side anymore. The latest spec sheet shows Mobil 1 5W30 viscosity now at 10.0, up from 9.7 on the older spec sheet.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

Even the new 0W20 is changed...a lighter viscosity...8.4, down from 9.0 originally.

I wonder if there is a revision to their entire oil product line going on here.
confused.gif

For reference, here is the Mobil drive Clean Blend 10W-30 viscosity from an MSDS I printed 2 months ago:

Vis @ 40C = 69 cSt
Vis @ 100C = 10.5 cSt
Pour Point = -42C (-44F)

A little lighter than the new Drive Clean Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back