Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM 10w-30

Messages
231
Location
So Cal
I am suprised this oil isn't a big hit with this forum. For $2.22 you get a synthetic blend with high mileage additives, thats on the "thick" side of the 30wt scale. Plus it's the only high mileage oil that has the starburst "energy conserving" symbol.(That I know of) Plus it has that name that alot of people love.....Mobil [Wink] What am I missing? MDC+ 10w-30 seems to be the perfect fit inbetween the dino @ 3,000 crowd, and the Synthetic @ forever group. I bet Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM 10w-30 @ 4,000 OCI's would be outstanding. What am I missing? Darryl [Cheers!]
 
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
FWIW, Motorbike likes it. I like enough that I might try it. Although, I have enough of a stash of full syn I need to work through. I wish Motorcraft would make a 10w30 of the same quality as their 5w20 for $1.42. Now that would be a real hit! [freaknout]
 
Messages
1,181
Location
NJ, USA
I too am sort of suprised the MDC+ HM isn't more of a hit here. I used the 10w-30 in my father's '96 Taurus and it sure did quiet the motor down significantly. I almost purchased some yesterday to use in the wife's '03 Pathfinder but they don't have any of the MDC+ blend in 5w-30...only M1 or regular DC in the 5w-30 weight. I ended up buying on price alone and picked up two 5 qt. jugs of Pennzoil 5w-30 at $6.77 each just for the Pathfinder. 427Z06.......your wish re: the Motorcraft may have come true. While at Wally World yesterday I noticed every viscosity Motorcraft oil, except the 15w-40 CH/SL Superduty oil, now states "advanced hydrocracked" base oils on the back label. Basically they all now read, word for word, exactly like the 5w-20 except that on the front label the 5w-20 says synthetic blend whereas the others say "premium" motor oil. Someone here recently posted a message about Conoco going to GIII blends in all their weight oils in order to meet Ford specs and still maintain GF4 / SM requirements. Looks like it may have made its way down to the Motorcraft red bottles already. If so, at $1.42 /qt. the red bottle is indeed a great value.
 
Messages
2,233
Location
Wisconsin
My question regarding GF4 is will we be "pummeled" by a stampede of synthetic blend labels as group III is blended in to meet the new testing requirements? Darryl, you've probably hit the nail on the head, as DC plus HM is a "Tweener" oil. Perceptions are going to be mixed as to the added performance value of this oil when compared to $1.19 Chevron or $1.39 Pennzoil dino. The synthetic fans will just naturally take a pass.
 
Messages
48
Location
NJ
Mobil Drive Clean had the highest volatility of any major brand of motor oil i tested in the 5w30 and 10w30 viscosity. I can't see how Drive Clean Plus be that different in basestocks and additives. John Browning who used to post here can back me up on the high oil consumption he experienced with this product. I would try Havoline High Milage first and my second choice would be Valvoline Maxlife. Mobil Drive Clean Plus probably has about 10% synthetic in it and in that small amount you are not going to see any increase in performance. [ August 08, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: The Oil Expert ]
 

Jay

Messages
1,613
Location
Idaho Falls, ID
I called Mobil's tech line about a week ago and was told that MDC+ has all group III basestocks. I have not been able to verify that on their MSDS, but if true this oil is certainly a great value. I wish they made it in 5w-20. [Frown]
 
Messages
11,284
Location
Spring HIll
quote:
Originally posted by Jay: I called Mobil's tech line about a week ago and was told that MDC+ has all group III basestocks. I have not been able to verify that on their MSDS, but if true this oil is certainly a great value.
I thought an earlier thread mentioned that DC+ was made of 12-22% Group IV (M1) and the rest Group II. [I dont know]
 
Messages
2,602
Location
The Tropics of Antartica
quote:
Originally posted by The Oil Expert: Mobil Drive Clean had the highest volatility of any major brand of motor oil i tested in the 5w30 and 10w30 viscosity. I can't see how Drive Clean Plus be that different in basestocks and additives. John Browning who used to post here can back me up on the high oil consumption he experienced with this product. I would try Havoline High Milage first and my second choice would be Valvoline Maxlife. Mobil Drive Clean Plus probably has about 10% synthetic in it and in that small amount you are not going to see any increase in performance.
I guess you are entitled your opinion even if you have not used this new blended oil . BTW , what is the exact Noack of the MDC ? It would benefit the forum to know . Search joee12's results and you will find the blend outperformed the Mobil Supersyn bang for buck...same vehicle. Jay , I am waiting on the worlds first HM 20wt . I know it's coming just which company will market it first [Big Grin]
 
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
quote:
Originally posted by mikep:
quote:
Originally posted by 427Z06: Do they meet the Ford 5w20 (WSS-M2C 153-H) spec?
To my knowledge only the 5w-20 meets that spec. Isn't that spec a viscosity specific spec?

I thought the "Biggie" in the spec was the double length Seq. III test?
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
For some reason, the engine oil tests done YEARS ago by a major consumer magazine made an impression that has stayed with me since I saw the article in which the tests were published. Mobil synthetics: GOOD; Mobil Dinos: NOT good. I've never been able to get past my impression that Mobil engineering focus goes into the M1 line and the dino gets the residue.
 
Messages
235
Location
Ar
I have this stuff in my car right now. I mixed 3.5 quarts of it with 1 quart of Mobil 1. I consumed 1/4 quart of Mobil 1 10-30 in 1,500 miles. That's gone completely with my blend so I don't buy the fact that it burns off easy like normal DC. That being said I still like M1 better. [Smile]
 

Jay

Messages
1,613
Location
Idaho Falls, ID
Motorbike, my RSX is pushing 50,000 miles so I hope they hurry up. [Smile] pscholte, I can't get past the good impression the factory-fill 5w-20 left with me, which was made by Mobil, and I suspect was MDC. It had the lowest volatility of any oil I've tried, had a good-looking additive package, and a TBN of 4 after 5,000 miles. My Acura RSX is hard on oil too.
 
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
quote:
Originally posted by mikep: 427Z06.......your wish re: the Motorcraft may have come true. While at Wally World yesterday I noticed every viscosity Motorcraft oil, except the 15w-40 CH/SL Superduty oil, now states "advanced hydrocracked" base oils on the back label. Basically they all now read, word for word, exactly like the 5w-20 except that on the front label the 5w-20 says synthetic blend whereas the others say "premium" motor oil.
Do they meet the Ford 5w20 (WSS-M2C 153-H) spec?
 
Messages
1,181
Location
NJ, USA
quote:
Originally posted by 427Z06: Do they meet the Ford 5w20 (WSS-M2C 153-H) spec?
To my knowledge only the 5w-20 meets that spec. Isn't that spec a viscosity specific spec?
 
Messages
1,181
Location
NJ, USA
quote:
Originally posted by 427Z06: I thought the "Biggie" in the spec was the double length Seq. III test?
That may be, I'm really not in the know on the various tests. I do know that when I asked one of hte major synthetic oil makers if any of their 30 weight oils were going to be submitted for the Ford spec they replied the spec was a viscosity specific spec and as such would be a waste of time on their part. It's entirely possible they were yankin' mee chain because they didn't want to submit samples for Ford testing. [I dont know]
 
Top