Mobil Drive Clean Plus Group I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone has any info on Mobil's blend. I assume they're using real PAO in the mix, but the excact percentage is only a guess.

Does anyone know if the base oil used is Group I or Group II?

I think I read on this board that Pennzoil's HM offering is Group I...... any truth to that?

I'm considering this oil because Mobil 1 just seems too thin for my application and I don't really run long periods between changes anyway. I still have some Mobil 1 left over and this looks like a good oil to mix with it.

Thanks

[ May 19, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: goldfinger ]

Plus is probably a Grp II. I'm thinking of giving these a shot now that my car is older and consumes oil. Definitely can mix M1 with it if need be.

Given the rather high pour point of Drive Clean blend, I suspect this is a Group I oil with some PAO in it.

As for Pennzoil HM, the MSDS indicates the base oil blend is Group I and Group II. I suspect the Group I is Bright Stock.

I believe the Mobil Blend is group I and II plus the PAO .

The particular Pennzoil you are speaking of is group I solvent refined base oil and group II blended basestocks .

There is nothing wrong IMO with some group I+ mixed in a formulated oil other than the NOAK might be a little higher .

Some of these makers use it for performance in one way or another and not particularly in an effort to reduce cost .

When API SL ISLAC GF-3 came about there was a rumor that only group II oils and use of would make the cut . We found later that was not the case and some oils were still group I+ only . Most low cost dino's are still blends of group I and II to this day . SM GF-4 will change that in all probability .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
When API SL ISLAC GF-3 came about there was a rumor that only group II oils and use of would make the cut. We found later that was not the case and some oils were still group I+ only .

It wasn't a rumor, it was a fact as far as GF-3 5w30 was concerned. GF-3 10w30 could still be made with some Group I in it. Group I+ is relatively new, BTW, having just come out in the last year or so.

Great..... I decide to go buy some of the stuff and the local Wally Wolrd no longer carries it.
banghead.gif
It looks like they cleared the spot where it used to be and replaced it with plain old Drive Clean...... even the tags are gone.

Anyone got tips on other places that might have it at a decent price? Napa? Bumper to Bumper? At more than $2.50 a quart it's not such a good deal.

quote:

Originally posted by goldfinger:
Great..... I decide to go buy some of the stuff and the local Wally Wolrd no longer carries it.
banghead.gif
It looks like they cleared the spot where it used to be and replaced it with plain old Drive Clean...... even the tags are gone.

Anyone got tips on other places that might have it at a decent price? Napa? Bumper to Bumper? At more than $2.50 a quart it's not such a good deal.

Autozones carry it but if you were to nicely ask the Walmart manager to stock it or replenish the stock I would think he'd do his job since all other Walmarts carry it .If he won't , ask his boss for help in getting him to do his job
tongue.gif

Maybe they could bring some in from another Walmart store for you . The Mobil marketers in the yellow pages will surely sell it to you although I know of one that never even heard of that oil
tongue.gif

I ran across this locator

http://clients.mapquest.com/mobil1/mqlocator?link=find&site=driveclean

[ May 21, 2004, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Given the rather high pour point of Drive Clean blend, I suspect this is a Group I oil with some PAO in it.

As for Pennzoil HM, the MSDS indicates the base oil blend is Group I and Group II. I suspect the Group I is Bright Stock.

I do not believe a -44F pour point is too shabby
tongue.gif

Every one of those oils pump extremely well BTW and this really sets them apart from the other HM oils IMO

Drive Clean Plus

quote:

I was going by the pour point of the "Drive Clean Blend," which is what the blend used to be called before "Drive Clean Plus." It was something like -33.

quote:

quote:

When API SL ISLAC GF-3 came about there was a rumor that only group II oils and use of would make the cut. We found later that was not the case and some oils were still group I+ only .

It wasn't a rumor, it was a fact as far as GF-3 5w30 was concerned. GF-3 10w30 could still be made with some Group I in it. Group I+ is relatively new, BTW, having just come out in the last year or so.

It is not fact that the 5w-30's are or have to be group II .....go to the Walmart MSDS site and look at the Valvoline 5w-30 and here Schaeffers Moly Bond 5w-30

and the group I in the Pennz HM is not brightstock , if it were with that percentage it would be thick like STP ....your just pouring fuel on the rumor about group II only for SL GF-3's fire here
smile.gif

I post in hopes to douse the fire
wink.gif
Thats what this site is supposed to be about ....fact vs fiction
smile.gif

quote:

quote:

I was going by the pour point of the "Drive Clean Blend," which is what the blend used to be called before "Drive Clean Plus." It was something like -33.

Not nagging on you but this was a Drive Clean Plus topic . When these oils ,any of them are reformulated they must not be taken to have the same typical analysis data as the previous oil they replaced .

Newbies might have not even try this oil if someone posted that it had a poor...pour point and or was group I only .

Again I post just in an effort to exact the information recieved by others here at BITOG...the no spin zone on the web
smile.gif

Speaking of fact vs fiction , rumors and all that whats up with the yellow bottle Pennzoil 5w-30 and 10w-30 thats supposed to be all group II+ ?

The MSDS show it to be a mixture , surely it's not a mixture of one or more group II+ base stocks ?

quote:

Speaking of fact vs fiction , rumors and all that whats up with the yellow bottle Pennzoil 5w-30 and 10w-30 thats supposed to be all group II+ ?

The MSDS show it to be a mixture , surely it's not a mixture of one or more group II+ base stocks ?

I think Molakule pointed out that "mixture" can denote the same base oils from different suppliers. Since Shell bought Pennzoil, the Excell Paralubes refinery is just a supplier now, with Shell providing base oil to Pennzoil, too. Hence, the "mixture."

Be that as it may, I suspect that the 5w20 and 5w30 grades of Pennzoil are the only ones that are "all" Group II+.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back