Mobil Drive Clean and Supertech/Tech 2000 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
While looking in the U.O.A. section, there are not too many anaylsis with Walmart's conventional oil. Opinions are mixed on the oil. Is Mobil Drive Clean worth the extra .25/quart compared to Tech 2000 if you change the oil every 3,000 miles.

It seems the biggest complaint I have seen is that the oil thins, but just about every over the counter conventional oil at Wal-Mart does the same thing....so I'm not sure that's a good complaint.

I drive 36,000 miles a year....so I change the oil once a month. It would cost me less than $5/per oil change (Nissan Sentra, 2.9 qt. sump with $1.97 Supertech oil filter). I'm not interested in using synthetics....just keeping the costs as low as possible.

Would I ever see a difference over the life of the car (hopefully 200K+) using Tech2000 compared to Drive Clean every 3000 miles?

[ May 05, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: ryansride2017 ]

Strictly speaking, some brands of conventional petroleum-based API "SL" oil in your customary viscosity grade may be marginally superior to others, but the 3,000 mile change interval is the great equalizer. I subscribe to the same oil service interval you do and just put my money where my mouth is by purchasing 30 quarts of 68 cent Chevron Supreme 10W-30 on closeout at Target last month. That's cheap! (And, I use the $1.97 SuperTech filters, too.)

Hard to tell- the 10W-30 Chevron Supreme would be a better choice as was mentioned. Also changing Mobil 1 at 10K miles with a filter at 5K- would make eminate sense to me. You would be crawling under the vehicle 3 or 4 times a year instead of 12 times a year. But you do save about 10-15 bucks per year by crawling under the car an extra 8 times
smile.gif

supertech and tech 2000 are not the same oil.

supertech is made by quaker state/pennzoil

tech 2000 is re-refined oil produced by safety-kleen for sale in canadian wal-marts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back