Mobil downunder is making Redline look even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Sprintman territory this weekend to see my parents, and get a few highway miles on the new car, and saw all three grades of Mobil 1 on the shelf at a service station for the first time (Normally, they only have the 5W-50).

Prices were
5W-50 supersyn $13/litre (available in 5 litre jugs)
10W-30 supersyn $19.90/litre
0W-40 supersyn $27.90 per litre.

Last I checked, Redlins was only $32/litre.

If they pull this with Delvac 1 (just under $10 per litre), looks like my car will be switching to Redline soon.

Wow, those are expensive! Although what is the conversion to US dollars?

How much does a liter of conventional oil sell for out there?

Forgot the second part of your question.

Delvax MX
Delo400
Pez. Long Life
all run at $29(Oz) for 5 litres (say U.S. $4 per litre).

The only thing that you can get for $1 per litre is the recycled 20W-40 SF non-detergent stuff

Hi,
Shannow - Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell Mobil that Delvac 1 is cheaper

Seriously, I do not see how they expect to sell much M1 at those prices considering that the new Castrol R (S) range is more competitively priced
Even M1 5w-50 is at the top shelf price range
now but I have not seen M1 15-50 anywhere yet

I have now about completed changing all my vehicles to Delvac 1 with only a few utes etc. still on other oils

The the last one, my Porsche, gets its dose tomorrow after a year on Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50
This Board's activities convinced me to go to a lighter oil - my only choice really was Delvac 1

Mobil's Synth S 10w-40 will sell well now and it appears to be a good product too

Regards

Doug,

Hows the Delvac 1 going. I'm running it in one car, but only about 2500km so far. I agree there aren't many choices at a reasonable price. I last paid abt $64- for the Delvac1, Mobil1 5w50 is $66 at Kmart. I haven't yet seen the others but at the prices above I won't be using them. Running Motul 300v in my 200sx turbo. $80/4 ltrs

[ October 06, 2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Wow, that stuff is pricey! I guess nobody down there follows a 5000km oil change interval with synthetics?

In Canada, we pay $6.66 per liter for SLX 0w30, or about $4.92 US per liter. Mobil 1 is sold in 5L jugs right now for just over $27 CDN, so that works out to $4.00 US per liter.

So you guys are paying the same price per liter over there that we pay for the full 5L jug!
shocked.gif

WOW. That's totally ridiculous. Anywhere in the US you can get M1 for about $4.60/quart. It's closer to $5.00 at AutoZone and closer to $4.00 in the 5-quart jugs at Wal-Mart. You'd be better off just getting someone to ship it to you from the US.

Hi,
theguru - a brief tale of three Mobil synthetic oils;

1 - MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 Manual. ( 95kkms )
This car was put onto M1 0w-40 at about 3000kms
The engine sounded quiet and consumed no oil. Changed again at 17kkms
After about 33kkms it was put on M1 10w-30
The engine then always rattled ( not lifters ) when cold and was noisy when at normal operating temp. It consumed oil at about 1ltr/6kkms
It was changed again at 49kkms
It was put on Delvac 1 at 67kkms
The engine hushed up - initially with some lifter noise but has since performed quietly. Oil consumption is nil

The Subaru and M1 10w-30 was an unhappy marriage
it loved the M1 0w-40 and swoons over D1

2 - MY98 BMW Z3 2.8 Manual. ( 52kkms )
This car was started on M1 0w-40 at 5kkms. Oils were changed at 15kkms intervals.
These VANOS engines do rattle a little at first start - especially if not used for a week or too
At 49kkms it was put on Delvac 1. The engine was much quieter at startup. It "feels" even silkier when at operating temp. too - these engine are just so smooth
It has never used any oil between OCs

It loved M1 0w-40 and is in love with Del 1 too

3 - MY89 Porsche 928S4 Quadcam 32V V8 Automatic ( 118kkms )
This car was on Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 ( Syntec?? )for most of its life until 103kkms
I changed to Shell Helix Ultra 15w-50 a year ago. The engine was quiet and has never used oil
The next UOA will be pulished here when I get the results back later this week

It was changed to Delvac 1 today. It certainly "feels" better and to rev. more freely already
Its still very quiet ( it seems quieter on D1 too ) it will be interesting to see if it consumes any oil ( maximum allowed by Porsche is 1.5lts/1kkms )

Initially, I think the move back to a 40 max oil will be good. It seems to run measurably better on Del 1 - time will tell. It will get a run from here to Coffs Harbour soon for a Porsche owners get-together - about 4kkms

Summary: As others have previously noted here Delvac 1 is a great lubricant. After using it in my heavy trucks for some years now I have confidence it its ability in my cars

I intend to run annual OCs in the BMW and Porsche with UOAs at six months for the Porsche
The Subaru will get oil an OC every six months or 30kkms

As mentioned to Sprintman I buy Del 1 in 20lts containers now - previously from a bulk supply

Regards

Doug,

What do you think makes it SOOOOOOOO good, given the technology that went into M1 0W40 as well?

pscholte, D1 uses a much higher grade base stock then the 0w-40. It also uses more esters then M1 0w-40. They are actually two different animals.
smile.gif

I thought M1 was their primo stuff, but I guess if you are going to make an oil for 100,000 mile oil changes (even with bypass filters) it has got to be special

[ October 06, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Hi,
pscholte - what a quick response, honestly I simply do not know why.
Perhaps it is the slightly heavier viscosity at 100C. I believe it's chemistry is quite different too

I have never used the M1 SuperSyn range

I have only a "commercial" relationship with ExxonMobil. I buy their fuels ( lots of diesel and petrol ) and selectively, their oils too
I have no special deals with them. They know me well however as a "searching" engineer/fleet owner with a good technical reputation in the Trucking Industry - and one who pays his bills on time. So to a degree I call my own shots with them!

I have spoken to many people ( engineers, chemists, additive suppliers etc. ) at Mobil about D1 and they all speak with enthusiasm about it. At a different level than other synthetics they sell - M1!

I would still be using Castrol diesel oils but the semi-synthetic I helped to trial for them prior to public relaese - Enduro LD. This was a product developed by Castrol in Australia.
In the end simply did not stack up against D1 on a cost per km basis.
It( Enduro LD )was/is a great Castrol product
that I used for some years after release

Regards

Exactly, it's really not. Tooslick has repeatedly stated this over and over again that you can only have so much chemistry and mass market an oil for $4qt. It's not rocket science in making a good oil, it's cost. Amsoil/Redline are specialty oils and they cost more. They cost more because generally they are giving you more. For people that rip Mobil 1, they should stop and think that the reality is they are lucky that such a huge company can mass market a good synthetic that is 100% synthetic and not a fake like Castrol. Mobil gives you a good bang for your buck. Amsoil/Redline obviously are higher end oils and it's reflected in the price.
smile.gif
I look at Amsoil and Redline as "cost is no option" oils. Look at the levels of additives and amount of esters in Redline or Amsoil S2k products and it proves this. Mobil makes esters and could make a Polyester based oil, but they couldn't sell it at Walmart for $4qt.

[ October 06, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Thanks to you both for the replies. I must admit you have truly gotten me interested. It sounds like great stuff. (Don't tell my GC I said that...it gets really jealous, you know the ahem...green-eyed monster!
grin.gif
)

[ October 06, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Wow, sounds like a business opportunity--export Mobil 1 from here or elsewhere and sell it in Australia.

I wonder why it's marked up so much? In southeast Asia (Manila) M1 0W-40 is about US$10/liter.

Well at least you have the excellent Delvac 1, and for about the same price as we do here in North America. This is one oil that's hard to find in the States (but easier to find in Canada).

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Thanks to you both for the replies. I must admit you have truly gotten me interested. It sounds like great stuff. (Don't tell my GC I said that...it gets really jealous, you know the ahem...green-eyed monster!
grin.gif
)

Yes I'm a bit confused now as what to run in my SAAB turbo at the next oil change. I bought some Delvac 1 in Toronto, and also have a stash of GC. I was thinking, try the thinner GC 0W-30 this winter, and save the thicker Delvac 1 5W-40 for the summer.

OR, always run the thicker D1 in the high-boost SAAB turbo, and use the GC in dad's normally aspirated German car. Hmm!

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
grin.gif
)

Yes I'm a bit confused now as what to run in my SAAB turbo at the next oil change. I bought some Delvac 1 in Toronto, and also have a stash of GC. I was thinking, try the thinner GC 0W-30 this winter, and save the thicker Delvac 1 5W-40 for the summer.

OR, always run the thicker D1 in the high-boost SAAB turbo, and use the GC in dad's normally aspirated German car. Hmm!

dunno.gif

GC for winter; Delvac 1 for summer (turbo)
GC year 'round for dad's car

[ October 06, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back