Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super 15W-40

Is Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super 15W-40 ok to use in a M/C or ATV with a wet clutch ?

you would want an oil with a jaso MA or MA2 but not MA1 rating..

since that oil doesnt list that spec, I would choose one that does.

Last edited:
The holy trinity of science is 1)Reason 2)Observation 3)Experience...
employing those tools we observe that the primary cause clutch slip
are high mileage... mileage is the constant among all of the clutches
that begin to slip... oil choice whether JASO approved or not is not a
constant... High mileage is the constant where all clutches begin to
loose grip due to normal glazing and contaminates that build up over use...

gallery_3131_51_129667.jpg

Yes! Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super 15W-40 will work well, most if not all 15w-40 universal diesel oils provide excellent protection and are safe for wet clutches. Some brands still have an Allison C4 rating which means they are good for Allison automatic transmissions which have clutch packs. So a motorcycle with a wet clutch is fine. I have used 15w-40 (various brands) oil in my motorcycles ( 6 different bikes) since 1998. They all worked great.

Last edited:
It does have friction modifiers in it. https://pqia.org/mobil-delvac-1300-super-sae-15w-40-heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oil/
It's unlikely that your clutch will slip under full clamping force, but it will narrow up the effective friction zone for your clutch lever.

It has just under 800ppm Phosphorous in it, which is the minimum amount for JASO T903:2011 http://www.mototribology.com/articles/jaso-explained-part-1/

The geartrain getting enough AW is what concerns me. I don't have any way to prove that Delvac 1300 has appropriate AW capabilities for a bike geartrain. Right now all I know is that it is entirely dependent on the 800ppm minimum of the JASO T903:2011 spec.

you would want an oil with a jaso MA or MA2 but not MA1 rating..

since that oil doesnt list that spec, I would choose one that does.

JASO MA covers both the MA1 and MA2 range of specs.

My thought is the zinc and phosphorus is the bit on the low side for what I like in a motorcycle oil but I don't understand about the friction modifiers? It is not an energy conserving oil.

JASO MA covers both the MA1 and MA2 range of specs.

your statement is correct? But does not contradict my quoted post.
If the oil says MA1 avoid.
MA2 is preferred but some oils will only spec JASO MA and these are also usually ok. (I have not ever heard of any JASO MA oils that have caused issues have you?)

Jaso MA1 is the lower half of the Jaso MA spec and inferior for the OP's use.

An example would be Rotella T 15w40 it was Jaso MA, after updating the pds it is now JASO MA2.
So for a oil with superior frictional characteristics for a wet clutch choose JASO MA2.

your statement is correct? But does not contradict my quoted post.
If the oil says MA1 avoid.
MA2 is preferred but some oils will only spec JASO MA and these are also usually ok. (I have not ever heard of any JASO MA oils that have caused issues have you?)

Jaso MA1 is the lower half of the Jaso MA spec and inferior for the OP's use.

An example would be Rotella T 15w40 it was Jaso MA, after updating the pds it is now JASO MA2.
So for a oil with superior frictional characteristics for a wet clutch choose JASO MA2.

Why would MA1 be inferior. If an oil is rated JASO MA, it could mean 2 of the 3 specs could meet MA1 but not MA2. So which of of the 3 specs is "bad" for some motorcycles? Based on your logic, then JASO MA rated oils should be avoided too because nobody knows why it's rated just MA (ie, which specs didn't meet MA2).

Last edited:
  • JASO MA: This is the standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). These oils don’t contain any friction modifiers.
  • JASO MA1: This is a lower standard specification for motorcycles that require different oils for the engine, gearbox and clutch.
  • JASO MA2: This is a higher standard specification for modern motorcycles. These oils are suitable for use in motorcycles that have catalytic converters in the exhaust system.
  • JASO MB: This is a lower standard specification for scooter engines.

JASO MAJASO MB
Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI)≥1.45 and TD][TD]≥0.5 and TD]
Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI)≥1.15 and TD][TD]≥0.5 and TD]
Stop Time Index (STI)≥1.55 and TD][TD]≥0.5 and TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

The JASO MA range is further divided into 2 distinct ranges - the JASO MA1 and JASO MA2 ranges - as follows:

JASO MA1JASO MA2
Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI)≥1.45 and TD][TD]≥1.8 and TD]
Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI)≥1.15 and TD][TD]≥1.7 and TD]
Stop Time Index (STI)≥1.55 and TD][TD]≥1.9 and TD]
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

Last edited:
^^^ Yes, so if oil is only rated simply as JASO MA nobody knows which of the 3 separate specs it's actually meeting - it can be a mix of eigher MA1 or MA2. Which one(s) of the 3 specs is "bad" if it falls into the MA1 column?

^^^ Yes, so if oil is only rated simply as JASO MA nobody knows which of the 3 separate specs it's actually meeting - it can be a mix of eigher MA1 or MA2. Which one(s) of the 3 specs is "bad" if it falls into the MA1 column?
With that said, doesn’t appear a simple Jaso MA rating has ever been detrimental to any of our cycles. I split wood last weekend but I think we’re splitting hairs here. Carry on.

With that said, doesn’t appear a simple Jaso MA rating has ever been detrimental to any of our cycles. I split wood last weekend but I think we’re splitting hairs here. Carry on.

What I'm saying, is if I had oil that was just rated JASO MA I'd probably just use it because there is basically no info that I can find to say don't use it because it doesn't totally meet MA2. It could be that nobody even makes oil that just meets JASO MA these days ... would have to do an extensive cycle oil comparison to know.

Here's the list of oils that have filed and received the JASO M* approvals. Note that not all motorcycle-specific oils appear on this list. Mobil 1 and Amsoil come to mind here. They note MA/MA2 compatibility on their labels, but did not receive JASO approval and do not show the symbol on the label. That's not uncommon, as some do their own in-house testing.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

What I'm saying, is if I had oil that was just rated JASO MA I'd probably just use it because there is basically no info that I can find to say don't use it because it doesn't totally meet MA2. It could be that nobody even makes oil that just meets JASO MA these days ... would have to do an extensive cycle oil comparison to know.
That's what I was trying to say as well, if it's JASO MA/MA2, folks it covers both.

That's what I was trying to say as well, if it's JASO MA/MA2, folks it covers both.

From what I'm seeing, one oil can not be technically rated for both MA and MA2 at the same time. Nor could it be rated MA and MA1 at the same time.

In order to be rated MA, all it needs to do is meet all 3 friction requirements, but with any combination mix of the 3 specific MA1 and MA2 specs.

The only way for an oil to be rated jsut MA1 is to meet only all 3 of the MA1 friction specs. And only way for an oil to be rated just MA2 is to only meet all 3 of the MA2 specs. If there is any combination mix of meeting MA1 and MA2 specs, then it will be rated as just MA.

I noticed Mobil rates 4T JASO MA 2016 and JASO MA2 2016.

I agree, it's hard to say that the overlap does not pretty much dictate they will work in about any application. Like I said, it's pretty much splitting hairs in the real world.

M1 20w50 V-Twin gave the best analysis of all in my ZRX 1200 and it's SJ. Does that mean it won't work in an engine that's rated for JASO MA/MA2? Heck no, IMO.

Rotella T5 15w40 syn blend gave a great analysis, even stayed in grade, but I did not extend it out over 5,000 miles like I do with the Mobil oils. It went 3,700 miles and does not have a single JASO rating.

Last edited:
Back