Mobil Delvac Extreme synthetic 15w-40

Is this new? Just noticed at walmart today, any voa/uoa/experiences?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that would be a shear stable oil, it comes in two grades 10W30 and 15W40 according to this Mobil web page
https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-Delvac-Extreme

Both are API CK-4, ACEA E7 & E9, plus many OEMs, both have a strong TBN of 10.3

10W30 HTHS = 3.6 cP, KV100 = 11.8 cSt,
15W40 HTHS = 4.1 cP, KV 100 = 14.3 cSt,

They don't mention ZDDP levels, but the 15W40 is API SL/SM rated, while the 10W30 is not. Given that Phos levels (from ZDDP) are more restricted for 30 grades than 40 grades, I read this as these being higher ZDDP oils. ZDDP is an anti-wear agent that protects the metal, but also an antioxidant that protects the oil itself. A VOA would be interesting.

The CCS limit for both those winter grades (10W and 15W) is 7000 cP (at -25 C and -20 C respectively), and they test out to be 6600 and 6100 respectively. This is getting close to the upper limits, which suggest to me that thicker base oil was used for the viscosity, and less polymer VII. So I would expect high shear stability and low Noack volatility.

All this on a synthetic base, says a very strong oil with a long life. Which is what Mobil is selling

Mobil Delvac Extreme is formulated with synthetic basestocks and a boosted additive system tailored to deliver extended performance for up to two times beyond OEM recommended oil drain intervals. The proprietary formulation delivers excellent wear protection, exceptional oxidation stability, and outstanding TBN retention. Mobil Delvac Extreme FE also provides outstanding resistance to oil consumption, oxidation, corrosive and abrasive wear, and high temperature deposits.

Hmmm....wonder if this is an add-on to the 5W-40's, or an acknowledgement they ain't makin' it in shear stability and plan to move away from them??

Capt, what store did you find this in? That would look real nice filling the sump of my Santa Fe Turbo.

This jug was In Stuart, Fl. WM in FL seems to have trouble selling synthetic diesel oils, I bought some mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 cheap and noticed delo 5w-40 & t6 5w-40 heavily discounted. Seems diesel owners are just buying 15w-40 for $11 gallon vs $20 for 5w-40 syn's. Seeing t6 in 15w-40 & this delvac syn 15w-40 shows that they are trying to find a market. Most truck manuals call for 15w-40 above freezing anyway.. I did notice a boat that I work on specifically requires Mobil ESP 5w-40 for the MAN common rail diesels, Im guessing HTHS is excellent with the Mobil esp 5w-40..

Originally Posted by Capt
This jug was In Stuart, Fl. WM in FL seems to have trouble selling synthetic diesel oils, I bought some mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 cheap and noticed delo 5w-40 & t6 5w-40 heavily discounted. Seems diesel owners are just buying 15w-40 for $11 gallon vs $20 for 5w-40 syn's. Seeing t6 in 15w-40 & this delvac syn 15w-40 shows that they are trying to find a market. Most truck manuals call for 15w-40 above freezing anyway.. I did notice a boat that I work on specifically requires Mobil ESP 5w-40 for the MAN common rail diesels, Im guessing HTHS is excellent with the Mobil esp 5w-40..

A large part of the world remains above 14 deg F (CCT), borderline pumpability temperature of 15W-40 mineral oil, and much of the population lives in these temperate climates. So, I suspect there will be a good market for a highly shear-stable synthetic 15W-40, instead of the niche market for 5W-40 for the weird guys like me that live in the American Siberia.

Thanks

I wish i could find 15W40 Synthetic around here, that looks like a great oil for old engines like mine.

Both VI infos are wrong, it should be 139 (10W30) and 136(15W40).

I like the ingredient description on the back.
thumbsup2.gif

I actually picked up this same oil in Walmart a couple days ago. I hope Walmart is going to start carrying this from now on.

I agree people are buying the lower cost T4, T5, Walmart brand 15w40 than more expensive Mobil 1.

many in warmer climates can + should use 10-30 synthetics as well as 15-40 synthetics! skip the thin 20's that allow more wear + sometimes higher consumption while giving a 1/4 mpg to please the EPA!!

WM in FL seems to have trouble selling synthetic diesel oils, ..

My thoughts. The dino 15w-40 Diesel oils are so robust that most people ( me included) do not see the need for a synthetic. Most Diesel engine failures today are from fuel or coolant problems.

$19.47

That's a cracking good price for full synthetic diesel oil. Cheaper than RT6 at Walmart, which is normally $22.47. Cheaper than M1 TDT, which is normally over $24.
I just bought Motorcraft Super Duty 15w40 at my local Walmart for $14.40 per gallon. The last couple of years, I've been running 15w40's for summer to save a little money, but I've been sticking with RT6 5w40 for cold weather.

Back