Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W/40 @ 5,700 miles; VW TDI @ 60k

Full throttle romps are easier each day if you know when or where. You can tell the difference between an “easy” vs “spirited” life motor (with all things being equal on getting up to operating temp and doing mileage based maintenance as spec’d in manual). Trust me on that. 75mph is nothing for the 2.0l. You scanguage will indicate on a flat plain 3-4psi at most sustained.

I’d do 4500-5000k changes with a bog standard 15w-40. That way you’re not killing your pocket nor the motor. Any of the big 4 oils will do fine. No way would I push to 9k with a shear like that. You’d be high 20 weight potentially.

Check TDi club and post there. Many run reports on the 2.0CR (2009-2014). They may have tips for you. But asking others without the same motor and oil will be tough.

Meant 20 grade.

Still synthetic…I’d run with conventional if it were me until I figured why the motor is taking a stout oil and bringing it down to a middle 30 grade on or before 5000mi.

You will still see shearing since you’ve done it to the last three analysis. What is the first oil referenced at 30k or so mark?

You aren’t filling the motor up or fuel with any additives are you?

What’s most intriguing is the fact the 2.0CR’s are much easier on oil than the PD’s due to injection design. Yet, this isn’t the case here. You don’t even have a timing chain…..

Best of luck mate.

Meant 20 grade.

Still synthetic…I’d run with conventional if it were me until I figured why the motor is taking a stout oil and bringing it down to a middle 30 grade on or before 5000mi.

You will still see shearing since you’ve done it to the last three analysis. What is the first oil referenced at 30k or so mark?

You aren’t filling the motor up or fuel with any additives are you?
Additive in fuel would be Stanadyne.
I used 507.00 until after the delete.

Read the label of Stanadyne. Toluene and naphthalene. A DOH moment. Both of those chemicals are thinners.

Long time TDI owner here. As for your MFD displayed mpg vs. calculated, that can be (re)calibrated with VCDS. I've done it on the four TDIs I've owned and it is within .2 mpg calculated vs. displayed on every fill-up. It also cleans up your instantaneous consumption (I think). I've had good luck with Delvac-1 (esp now with a dpf) 5w-40 throughout the years with 10k change intervals. Very easy to track; I commute 35k miles/year in non Covid times. Check out TDI Club and good luck, John

Long time TDI owner here. As for your MFD displayed mpg vs. calculated, that can be (re)calibrated with VCDS. I've done it on the four TDIs I've owned and it is within .2 mpg calculated vs. displayed on every fill-up. It also cleans up your instantaneous consumption (I think). I've had good luck with Delvac-1 (esp now with a dpf) 5w-40 throughout the years with 10k change intervals. Very easy to track; I commute 35k miles/year in non Covid times. Check out TDI Club and good luck, John
Have you ever done a UOA on your Mk7?

No, I have not. There are plenty of posted UOAs on tdiClub, some folks stretch it to 15k changes based on UOA. I realize all engines are different. My current ride is a '14 Passsat SEL with CKRA motor.

but, but, but the ONLY oil allowed in a VW is a lubricant approved by Herbert Diess

lol, I have been using 15W40 in my 2004 PD jetta since the warranty expired, a long time ago

I have 300, 000 km on the original cam and lifters, many of my friends who use Herbert's blessed 5W30 505.01 oil have replaced their cams TWICE

looking at the numbers a HDEO has a higher level of phosphorus or zinc than any VW blessed oil

just keep using it

I would ditch the Stanadyne additive for a whole OCI, see how that affects readings.

As long as you're getting D2 from a busy station that gets fresh fuel often, you should be fine.

generally a 5-40 starts with a 5W will require LOTS of viscosity improvers unlike a 15-40 starting as a 15W + of course REAL synthetics will vary as a 30W PAO will meet 10-30 specs WITHOUT viscosity improvers!!

Back