Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight years ago I switched to synthetic oil in my 1995 Maxima SE. I have been buying Esso Extra XD3 0w30 full synthetic. I recently bought a 12 litre case of Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w30, which Imperial Oil's technical department here in Canada assures me is the same oil as Esso Extra XD3 it is a synthetic oil as the label on the bottle states and not a synthetic blend as stated in error on the box.

Has anyone been using this oil? It has a TBN of 7.7. Six years ago I sent a UOA into Blacstone Labs. The sample was at 8,000 kms (5,000 miles). The TBN was 3.8 and Blackstone said I could extend the OCI next time.

I haven't sent them another sample. Yesterday's oil change was at 10,500 kms using a NAPA Gold oil filter. I suspect I could have extended the OCI further than that but questioned how much further to extend it on that filter. I suspect 12,000 kms (7,500) miles would not have been a problem.

Any comments on this oil and what filter you use would be appreciated.

Thanks

I used to use Esso XD-3 0W-30 and have used the Mobil Delvac Elite 0W-30 a couple times in the past three and a half years. I'm sure it's great stuff (going by the spec sheet, anyway). However, since I started purchasing it in the spring of 2011 the bottle has said synthetic while the box says semi-synthetic. I assume wording on the box is incorrect - but for over three years? At the end of the day, I'm not sure this whole synthetic thing matters anyway, as the specs (particularly cold weather) are impressive. I have used it in my 2011 F-150 and currently use it in my outdoor equipment.

It's a great HDEO that's PAO based with outstanding extreme cold performance properties not that the latter really applies in your mild winters.

Being almost a 40 grade it's probably heavier than necessary for your '95 Maxima unless you have some oil consumption issues. You could consider lightening it up with some Mobil made TGMO 0W-20 to make a lighter 0W-30 more similar to a PCMO in terms of it's ZDDP level.
Regardless I suspect you could easily extend your OCI to 12,000 kms if not to 15,000 on that oil and filter combo.

Thanks. I am not sure how you have determined that it is almost a 40 grade. Your reference to my mild winters is correct. I live on the coast, near the ocean. The coldest it got last winter was -11C briefly and only -4C the winter before that.

I have no oil consumption issues. I have owned the vehicle since new and it is coming up to 161,000 kilometres, ie. 100,000 miles and is 20 years old on October 1st.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It's a great HDEO that's PAO based with outstanding extreme cold performance properties not that the latter really applies in your mild winters.

Being almost a 40 grade it's probably heavier than necessary for your '95 Maxima unless you have some oil consumption issues. You could consider lightening it up with some Mobil made TGMO 0W-20 to make a lighter 0W-30 more similar to a PCMO in terms of it's ZDDP level.
Regardless I suspect you could easily extend your OCI to 12,000 kms if not to 15,000 on that oil and filter combo.

Originally Posted By: bobo
I am not sure how you have determined that it is almost a 40 grade.

With it's KV100 of 12.2cSt and HTHSV of 3.5cP you can't get much heavier than that without being classified as a 40 grade.
I'd suggest thinning it out by a third with some TGMO 0W-20 which will give you a pretty impressive 0W-30. And as I mentioned in your mild climate you should be able to extend your OCI out to 15,000 kms or one year, whichever comes first.

Thanks. I am not sure how you have determined that it is almost a 40 grade.

If you look at J300, the classification of engine lubricants, your oil is clearly a 30 grade...it falls IN all the parameters of a 30.

30 "grade" contains both ILSAC type lubricants best thought of for economy, and HDMO style lubricants....while some here seem to think that 30 IS ILSAC, and everything thicker is "nearly 40", when J300 even has a specification range for "really 40" lubricants.

Hi,
bobo - You're using an excellent lubricant. Use it as you have XD3 in the past. You'll be able to extend your OCI by using UOAs to determine it's trending condition - 12kkms is quite attainable in your application

Do NOT dilute this excellent lubricant under any circumstance

Thanks. I am not sure how you have determined that it is almost a 40 grade.

To play the peacemaker between Shannow's and CATERHAM's seemingly contradictory comments, they're not as contradictory as they seem. Shannow is being rigorous from an engineering standpoint. 40 grades and 30 grades (and any grade) are defined by KV. Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 clearly falls into the 30 grade territory, and there can be no debate on that.

CATERHAM's point is that the HTHS is higher in this 0w-30 than it is for most 30 grades out there, particularly ILSAC rated passenger car oils. Its HTHS is 3.5 or higher as is required by the CJ-4 spec; also, the 40 grade's definition requires an HTHS of 3.5, too. This can be confusing to people who aren't familiar with the [confusing] grading system, combined with HTHS requirements of certain specifications. So, CATERHAM simplifies matters by classifying these high HTHS 30 grades as "almost 40 grades." Current incarnations of SAE J300 have taken some of this business into account, as the "thin 40s" that were previously allowed - and problematic - are no longer permitted. The importance of HTHS does lend a lot of credence to this viewpoint. Several members here, myself included, have put our feet in our mouths reading off a superseded SAE J300!

Look at the reverse situation. If you take a modern diesel that specifies a CJ-4 lube and allows 30 grades, the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 would be appropriate. Mobil Super 1000 10w-30 would have significantly thinner operational viscosity (along with other issues) and be a far more risky, out of spec choice.

Doug: You're not helping my mixing phobia. I prefer to buy by the case as it is to avoid mixing batch numbers.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Will it fit in a post pack ?

I've never mailed 20 L of oil before.
wink.gif
I was on the phone with Imperial Oil yesterday and forgot to get the latest quote on the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, but last time, I'm pretty sure it was under $6 a litre. $5.65 seems to ring a bell, but I could be mistaken.

I have used this oil for many years and consider it the best buy on the market. The last case I purchased said semi on the box and full synthetic on the bottle. I called Esso and was told that this is a semi because Esso was having a printing problem and did not what a false advertising problem. When I questioned the fellow he became quite adversarial and would not continue the conversation. I believe this is a full synthetic and Esso just can't get their s--t together. I will continue to use this oil in all my vehicles. I used to use the 0-40 in my big trucks and thought it was a great big diesel oil although it was quite a bit more expensive. Roger

I think when the oil was originally introduced, it was semi-synthetic, then changed to synthetic some time after, when it was still an Esso branded product. In any case, yes, it's a great buy.

I bought my 12 litre case on June 27th, but just got the oil changed on Sept. 15th.

The cost of the 0w30 was $6.39 per litre plus taxes & enviro fee. $87.89 for 12 litres in British Columbia.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Will it fit in a post pack ?

I've never mailed 20 L of oil before.
wink.gif
I was on the phone with Imperial Oil yesterday and forgot to get the latest quote on the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, but last time, I'm pretty sure it was under $6 a litre. $5.65 seems to ring a bell, but I could be mistaken.

I have checked twice with Imperial Oil. It is synthetic oil as stated on the label. I was told yesterday that the reference to synthetic blend on the box is an error.

Eight years ago I switched to synthetic oil in my 1995 Maxima SE. I have been buying Esso Extra XD3 0w30 full synthetic. I recently bought a 12 litre case of Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w30, which Imperial Oil's technical department here in Canada assures me is the same oil as Esso Extra XD3 it is a synthetic oil as the label on the bottle states and not a synthetic blend as stated in error on the box.

Has anyone been using this oil? It has a TBN of 7.7. Six years ago I sent a UOA into Blacstone Labs. The sample was at 8,000 kms (5,000 miles). The TBN was 3.8 and Blackstone said I could extend the OCI next time.

I haven't sent them another sample. Yesterday's oil change was at 10,500 kms using a NAPA Gold oil filter. I suspect I could have extended the OCI further than that but questioned how much further to extend it on that filter. I suspect 12,000 kms (7,500) miles would not have been a problem.

Any comments on this oil and what filter you use would be appreciated.

Thanks

I used to use this oil quite a bit in the past (when it was XD-3), and it performed flawlessly at 10,000 km intervals in my vehicles (mind you, that was way back when it was a higher-SAPS CI-4 oil). Since it has switched to a CJ-4 oil, it has a lower starting TBN value, but only a UOA will tell you if the TBN retention is good enough for your proposed intervals (which I would suspect that it is).

I haven't been using this oil in a while since almost every application that I have now requires either an MB-229.5 or a BMW LL-01 approval, none of which the Delvac Elite 222 has (not that it couldn't pass, but it doesn't officially have them for what its worth).

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think when the oil was originally introduced, it was semi-synthetic, then changed to synthetic some time after, when it was still an Esso branded product. In any case, yes, it's a great buy.
I have checked twice with Imperial Oil. It is synthetic oil as stated on the label. I was told yesterday that the reference to synthetic blend on the box is an error.

Upon conversion to the Mobil name, wasn't the formula changed to include more GrIII vs PAO?

Perhaps someone had a moment of clarity while producing the box
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Perhaps someone had a moment of clarity while producing the box
wink.gif

I was thinking the person on the phone had a similar moment of clarity.
wink.gif

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some confusion going around even in Imperial Oil. The "1" in Delvac 1 is just like Mobil 1, indicating the synthetic, where the lack of that part usually means it's something else, like Delvac 1300, or our Mobil Super 1000.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
Since it has switched to a CJ-4 oil, it has a lower starting TBN value, but only a UOA will tell you if the TBN retention is good enough for your proposed intervals (which I would suspect that it is).

There still are high TBN CJ-4/SM and CJ-4/SN oils in the Delvac 1 line, for those who prefer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back