Mobil Delvac ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mobile Delvac Extended Life Coolant interchangeable with Dexcool? Just curious, what would you look at to draw a conclusion?

Its a little different from Dexcool although close.

Its a OAT coolant of CAT EC-1 Specification. Its Silicate Free and good for 600,000 miles in a big truck although it needs one extender added at 300,000 miles.

In my opinion it would be an ideal coolant if you are using it in a Diesel Pickup.

At one point their was a discussion on here of the differences between Dexcool and EC-1 but I dont know if I would ever be able to find it.

Last edited:
I know Cat EC-1 meets all the Diesel requirements that Dexcool does plus others as well. However it doesnt carry the same approvals for gasoline engines. However as I understand it the ELC that comes from the factory in Jaguars is actually an EC-1 Coolant so obviously it will work in a gasoline engine. As I understand it Jaguar allows for top up with Dexcool or EC-1 in the USA.

Last edited:
Thinking about using Delvac in a (future) Duramax. I'm interested in the long life, 600k vs. 100k for the Dex.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
Thinking about using Delvac in a (future) Duramax. I'm interested in the long life, 600k vs. 100k for the Dex.

It does have a 6 year limit. The extender is to replenish the additives that protect against cavitation damage to the wet liners in heavy diesels. Im not sure of the design of the Isuzu (Duramax) so Im not sure if these are needed or not. At any rate if your only going to put on 100,000 miles in 5 years or so i doubt it will be needed.

I have a couple of million miles experience with EC-1 in Diesels and one thing it did was essentially eliminate the failure of water pumps.

ELC is recommended in my diesel (a Mercedes 906) even though it has "parent bores" - no liners.

Charlie

Red ELC is a perfect fit for any diesel... I poured in Peak Final Charge 3yrs ago as well as installed a coolant filter...

No more checking SCA's Other coolants you have to keep these at a resonable level at all times...

Just do a total complete flush with distilled water... Pour in the ELC...50/50 mix with distilled water... and forget about it for 300K miles...Just add the 32oz of extender...

I also add 8oz of RMI-25 every December...To keep the cooling system spotless...

Wet liners are replaceable cylinder liners that can be changed at overhaul. They contact the coolant on the outside.
Parent bores are bores directly into the block, like a car engine.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back