Mobil Delvac ATF, 337hrs, Allison MD3060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freightliner FL80 commercial
chassis in fire engine service.
Allison World Class MD3060.
Mobil Delvac ATF, Allison
filters.

337 hrs fluid, 1214 hrs unit. Fluid has been in service for 5 years.

Previous fill was the factory fill.
Factory fluid/filters changed
out at 877 hrs.

Reports by Polaris Labs.

This UOA--154hrs--VOA
Fe----23------19-----0
Cr----0--------0-------0
Ni----0--------0-------0
Al----6--------4-------0
Cu---4--------3-------0
Pb---7--------7-------0
Sn---0--------0-------0
Si----6--------4-------0
Na---4--------2-------0
K-----1--------1-------0
B-----83------88-----141
Mg---1--------1------0
Ca----22------25-----27
P------243----226----276
Z-----9--------7--------0
H20 < .1%
Visc @100c 7.0---6.9---7.3
TAN--1.15---1.14--1.13
Ox---49--------37
Ni----3----------7
_
Fluid looks good. I'm going to change the filters right off and leave the fluid in service. _

That is the TES-295 certified fluid; great stuff!

Excellent showing; fantastic example of how the calendar is a worthless tool for judging OCI duration.

No TBN reading, but with a TAN that low, I cannot fathom any problems afoot. Wear is low at well.

No reason not to extend the OCI. Fresh filter and run it for another few hundered miles and UOA again. Don't change filter too often; as they load up they become more efficient.

If I have selected the correct info, based upon your tranny, here is what Allison states:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servi...&sUNIT=null
Make sure I've got it right; double check my data entry. But it goes to show that Allison agrees longer OCIs are doable!

Last edited:
Thank you, dnewton.

Yes, those are the proper change guidelines.

When using oil analysis Allison states a condemnation of +3.0 to the TAN.

Viscosity is limited to +/- 25%.

Water is limited to .2%.

Glycol= 0 allowed.

No specifics given for metals.

It does appear that this will be some time approaching those limits!

I should also point out that without analysis this fluid would have been due for replacement a year ago, based on the recommended change intervals for TES-295 fluids (4 years, max). Clearly this is a situation where fluid analysis can pay dividends.

When purchased this fluid was $40 a gallon and the unit holds 5 gallons.

Yes, that is excellent service from the fluid, and a great overall maintenance plan!

You are correct; this is where UOAs pay off big time! Think of the money that would have been wasted otherwise. Large capacity systems and expensive fluids beg for UOA/ROI applications. In fact, even the UOA cost can shift this one way or another; Blackstone is more expensive that other services, but I like them and I have a working relationship with them, so I prefer them over others; it's an emotional attachment. I am not sure of the current Polaris costs.

Small sumps with cheap dino fluids really cannot pay for UOAs; the joy is in simply playing the game at that point. But that is their strength in some manner; it's so incredibly cheap to OCI that other means are unwarranted.

Last edited:
Yes sir. With an applicartion such as this between the engine, trans and diff the savings can be thousands over the life of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back