Mobil Delvac - 3 options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wreckage
Originally Posted by Ducked
So I am not going to get any added benefits, better protection or longer OCI with the MX ESP or the M1 ESP over the regular MX?

I doubt you'd get better protection. Since these are Zn limited oils it could be worse.

Unless you get a lot of confirmatory analysis done, the longer OCI will depend on (a) oil makers claims, and (b) whether you believe them. You're unlikely to get any specific statements from the vehicle manufacturer in this context, and oil makers usually defer to the vehicle manufacturer, so that's probably a wash.

The price difference is, however, a certainty.

The "synthetic "oil MAY be more stable, but it gets contaminated just as quickly as the "conventional".

I'd only buy the fancier stuff if I was forced to by the vehicle specs.

You aren't.

So don't.

What do you mean the synthetic M1 is more stable?

I guess the whole reason I asked all this was because I am using the 0w 40 M1 in my car which is a full synthetic. From everything I read regarding petrol engines, the synthetic will have long term benefits over a conventional mineral based oil (engine will last longer before wearing/scuffing/etc and needing a rebuild).

Being my first diesel, I didn't know if things worked the same or not.

Are those synthetic benefits translated over into the Diesel world?

So potentially the MX ESP could be worse for the engine than the MX, considering this engine has no EGR/CAT etc regulations, then the MX may protect the motor better just because the oil is not designed to meet todays standards?

I guess theres 2 ways to see this when you dont know...

1: Modern oils are better as technology progresses, then things only improve.
2: Modern oils due to having to meet todays regulations (CAT, DPF, EGR, Emissions etc) protect all those parts but at the sacrifice of the engines longevity. So it does not protect as good as the older stuff as it is compromised to meet all the other criteria.

So my question which one of those is it.

2. (See above)

Though Universal Answer (a) probably also applies: Nobody Knows.

So 2., IMO, probably.

Universal Answer (b) probably also applies: It doesn't matter. Do what you want.

What do you mean the synthetic M1 is more stable?

I guess the whole reason I asked all this was because I am using the 0w 40 M1 in my car which is a full synthetic. From everything I read regarding petrol engines, the synthetic will have long term benefits over a conventional mineral based oil (engine will last longer before wearing/scuffing/etc and needing a rebuild).

Being my first diesel, I didn't know if things worked the same or not.

Are those synthetic benefits translated over into the Diesel world?

Its claimed that synthetic oil has greater oxidative stability than conventional, based on the properties of the synthetic base stock.

That this oxidative stability translates into better performance of formulated oil in service seems to be largely a widespread article of faith, apparently one that you share.

I dunno what you've read. The few studies (including some in the articles section on here) that I've read failed to demonstrate a significant difference.

As those studies acknowledge, a significant difference is most likely to be demonstrated at extremely long OCI's, BUT diesels get sooty faster than petrol engines, so you're (even) less likely to want to push a diesel out that far.

This implies that any advantage of synthetic oil is likely to be less for a diesel.

Ironically, since I'm on very long OCI's and very low mileage on a petrol engine, I suppose I've just argued myself into using synthetic oil.

I'm not going to, though, because I'm unconvinced its actually superior, I have conventional to use up, and its looking very shiny on a 6-year old mix of CPC SAE 40 and Mobil Delvac MX 15W40.

Last edited:
So the difference is not in how well one protects but rather how long it does it for before needing to be changed?

Essentially saying they work the same one just works longer...

I spoke to Mobil they told me the ESP 1 used ij trucking companies change every 30-40,000 km (25,000 miles)? They said that is with oil analysis etc done though to ensure no contamination etc so that you can push it that far.

Having said that they also said MX is probably what they would use if you dont want the hassle of doing the analysis etc + if you tour around the country, good luck stuffing around with all that. They also said MX will be available in remote areas pretty much anywhere while the ESP (both MX ESP AND ESP 1) may not be readily available everywhere if you end up needing it.

At a regular 10,000 km (6-7k miles) to be safe, i dont think the $200 extra is worth it for ESP.

They also told me the engine being so old could drink a lot of the ESP so could end up running through the oil faster than the MX. Dunno why that would be the case.

Consumption is neither here nor there. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and trying to predict it or address it can be trouble.
wink.gif

As for availability, that's always an important issue. Here, for example, the only one readily available would be the Delvac 1 ESP, so that would be the answer, and it's cost effective here. At your intervals, you'll have no problem whatsoever with any of those products you choose.

The primary advantage of the 5W40 is easier starting in sub 0F/-17C conditions (which is the reason I use it in my Cummins, it doesn't like 15W40 unplugged below 0F). If you never encounter temps that cold, the CI-4 MX will likely last LONGER than an ESP oil because it's going to start with a higher TBN than an oil designed to work with DPFs. UOA is the only way you'll know for sure.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The primary advantage of the 5W40 is easier starting in sub 0F/-17C conditions (which is the reason I use it in my Cummins, it doesn't like 15W40 unplugged below 0F). If you never encounter temps that cold, the CI-4 MX will likely last LONGER than an ESP oil because it's going to start with a higher TBN than an oil designed to work with DPFs. UOA is the only way you'll know for sure.

Hey,

Well yes the MX actually does have a higher (by 5 points) TBN over the ESP. But the ESP is designed for long drain intervals. So if the TBN made it last longer, how on earth is the Synthetic ESP the long drain interval compare to the MX then?

From what I have heard elsewhere, the problem with the ISUZU 3.9L 4bd1 motor is that it is fairly dirty compare to modern engine standards so even the ESP which is a long drain interval may need changing much sooner than normal just because of all the soot buildup.

So in that case, do you throw away good synthetic oil due to soot buildup or the cheaper mineral oil due to the same issue. Seems either way that will be more the problem than whether the oil can go further, it could if it didn't get full of soot.

Maybe?

Either way, these engines went 1 million on the old oil back in the early 1990s. So I guess even if im using a mineral based oil now, it will still be better than the old stuff.

The only thing was that the M1 is a 5w while the MX is a 15w.

But being in Australia, I don't think I will ever see anything below -5 and that would be in winter when the snow falls IF I go to the snow mountains or something. I don't even think it gets to negative 17 any time of year anywhere in Australia. If you are saying 15w is sufficient for temperatures up to negative 17C, then anything lower than 15w is not necessary in this country in which case the 15w MX is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back