Mobil Delvac 15w40 in 96 Accord

I've got a couple left over gallons on Mobil Delvac 15w40 and was thinking of using it in my old 1996 Accord that originally called for 5w30. This is a very high milage "beater" car. Any thoughts?

I wouldn’t use it to 0 personally. I run 10w30 with a Pint of Schaeffer oil treatment in my 86 K20 and she was pretty sluggish on the first start of the day in the single digits we had this week. I would save it until summer but run it without hesitation.

Your Accord probably has an engine that was used in other parts of the world as well. Look it up, maybe it can take a lot of different viscosities.

I'd personally rather run some super cheap ST Dino in 5w30, but that's just me. If you wanted to use it up, you could use it for April oil changes, and do October changes with a cheap 5w30 - eastern WA still gets colder than I'd be comfortable running a 15w40 in something like an Accord, even one that wasn't worth much.

The Delvac 15W40 should be fine in your car, many have run mixed fleet HDEOs in gas engines before, just less common now days. I have some Mobil Super 1000 Diesel 15W40 HDEO lined up for the same thing.

I commonly use GTX 15W40, it’s just a warm climate oil, say 10F (-12C) or above.

What is Mobil Delvac 15w40 cold weather pour point? I would think it would be okay down to 0 degrees.
Pour point … whatever that’s worth is under -30F but a Honda or Corolla may not have the cranking appetite …
One of my FLS’s is in the panhandle and has been starting his DMax at 14F through this cold front but obviously his 0W20 Jeep’s were the more happy campers …

Back