Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 oil in 3800 V6?

Is it okay to run Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15w40 in 3800 V6 motor? The price is so cheap. Is running diesel oil in 3800 V6 a bad idea? I live in Rio grande valley, South Texas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-080313.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-080313.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 29
From Mobil:

Fully backward compatible, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil delivers high performance in both newer and older heavy-duty engines. Its carefully tailored formulation provides:

• Extended oil drain interval (ODI) potential up to 1.5X the average OEM ODI recommendation*
  • Up to 50 percent more wear protection than required in API engine tests
  • Outstanding oxidation stability
  • Excellent soot and viscosity control
Developed in close collaboration with OEMs, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments in the trucking, mining, construction, agricultural and marine industries. Accordingly, this oil also meets or exceeds the requirements of API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4 service categories, as well as key OEM requirements. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines requiring the API SN specification.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 diesel engine oil is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in:

• The latest heavy-duty diesel engines, including those equipped with aftertreatment systems and EGR
  • Diesel applications using older and naturally aspirated conventional designs
  • On-highway heavy-duty trucking and off-highway applications including trucking, mining, construction, agriculture and marine
  • On-highway applications operating in both high speed/high load and short haul pick-up/delivery service
  • Off-highway applications operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions using up to 500 ppm sulfur fuels
  • High-performance gasoline engines requiring API SN and mixed fleet operations
  • Diesel-powered equipment from American, European and Japanese OEMs

As Mobil says above it's suitable for "High-performance gasoline engines requiring API SN"

Many years ago, it was common on BITOG for people to run mixed fleet (diesel and gas/petrol engine) HDEOs, as a performance oil. It's fallen out of favour a bit now, but it's still a solid decision for those who live in warmer climates.

BTW the 3800 V6 engine was spec'd 15W40 when it was used in Australia by Holden.

I highly recommend using the 1300 super in your 3800. As mentioned above, it is likely far more robust than you would ever need, but since when is that a bad thing? This stuff is quality, cheap, and readily available. I would (and do) use it without hesitation.

Is it okay to run Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15w40 in 3800 V6 motor? The price is so cheap. Is running diesel oil in 3800 V6 a bad idea? I live in Rio grande valley, South Texas.
I would use with no hesitation at all, especially in your location. I use 15w 40 HDEO in gasoline engines on occasion (whatever is the best sale price), as my locale rarely gets below freezing over a week or two a year.

It's dual-rated with an API SN license.
Mr. Kschachn. You of all people should know that the API does not issue a “ SN license” anymore. A 40 grade diesel oil may receive a SP but only if has less than a 800 ppm phosphorus concentration. If Mobil wants to still have SN on their bottle it’s up to them. Shell removed the SN from their 40 grade motor oils with more than 800 ppm phosphorus. :)

Last edited:
As per the consensus it seems like it will be fine for the engine but I wonder if the catalytic converter will go bad due to the high zinc content in the oil.

As per the consensus it seems like it will be fine for the engine but I wonder if the catalytic converter will go bad due to the high zinc content in the oil.
Does your engine burn oil? I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you have bad rings, and then you've got bigger problems to worry about. Just my 2 cents

Back