Mobil Delvac 1 Is the high detergency a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
in gasoline powered motors?

I keep seeing remarks across this board, but no one has actually said what is the likely effect. Quite a few seem to have starting using it, but is there any long term problem, and is it ok in a turbo assisted motor?

Pricewise is it similar to Mobil 1 5w-50, but their other oils are considerably dearer and harder to source. The 5w50 is probably too heavy for my use.

Delvac 1 is a great choice for gas engines. It's detergency is a plus and will keep your engine very clean. If you have access to buying it, go for it. There are no negative that I'm aware of regarding the high detergency. It's only a good thing. 15w-50 is too thick for 99% of the cars on the road.
cheers.gif

How does it compare to the Mobil 1 0w-40? I don't really need the 0w here anyways, but how do the oils compare otherwise. I have yet to see it on the shelf though.

Mobil 1 5w-50 is the only grade I've seem in the department stores. Obviously their biggest seller.

Delvac 1 is a much better oil then the 0w-40. It is more shear stable then 0w-40 and will maintain it's viscosity better. It also has a better additive package that includes more esters and ZDDP. Some consider D1 to be the best oil in the Mobil line up.

[ October 10, 2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I did a search on Delvac 1 UOAs and found 1 on a Saab and 1 on a motorcycle. Obviously, we don't have many people using it (at least that do UOAs). Now one UOA does not a reputation make, and the Saab could have had internal problems, but the UOA results were not very good. I am not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

theguru, Kmart and the like only sell the 5W-50, and it's only in the last week that I've seen the 0W-40 and 10W-30 in service stations.

No, It is not going to cause any problems. Because Delvac-1 is 25% ester it exhibits some of the same cleaning efect as Redline. THis effect is alot more subtle though with delvac-1 because it is only 25% ester based.

The ester content should also keep the seals from shrinking.It should also keep carbon and laquer build up in check.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I am not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

That's probably because you're already involved with someone else...
grin.gif

Jelly,

Sometimes you are just too observant...and too clever!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

PS I do find the info on D1 interesting...and intriguing.

[ October 11, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I have GOT to learn to hit the "edit" button, not the ". Sorry to take up space.

[ October 11, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
in gasoline powered motors?

Detergency is a plus, to keep your engine very clean... If you already have some build-up it will help remove, and it will help prevent from forming... A clean engine is a good thing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back