Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 scan code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this jug of Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 with a scan code on the back. In the website it says it's rated SN but the bottle does not indicate it. I used my QR Scan app on my iPhone and sure enough it reflects what the wesite says. And yes the photos of the jug are correct.
laugh.gif

The oil is SN rated. Also indicates a kinematic vis at 100c of 13.8 and a HTHS of 3.8. TBN 12

A663A6E1-B697-4E29-B61C-3F385AB75849.jpeg

4D0BA9B9-B3AC-49A0-8685-BC163AF62278.jpeg

4599E7F1-001F-4091-A18F-E88CF75376BB.jpeg

Originally Posted by Garak
Is the code on the outside of the boxes? Not that I use a phone anyway, but I always bought in boxes from the distributor, so never got to see the bottles until I got home.
wink.gif

Not sure. By the way I was looking at CT but their big sale on Rotella did not inlude the multi fleet 5-30. Rats!

Do they even have the MV 5w-30? Keep an eye on NAPA Canada, and the distributor does have a good price on the product, too. Blue Wave quoted me a price that's better than CT's sale price anyhow.

we use this oil at work on our emergency fire water pumps, holds up very well to torturous demands quite well. cold start full power instant off with no cool down. we change the oil twice a year but could easily go a full year. usually 500hrs depending on knuckleheads runing the fire monitors.

Mobil tech line informs me that Delvac 1 non ESP is sold in USA in 55gal drums in 2 locations in USA. MB228.5 rated.

Your pretty hung up on this... I looked at some of these 1 gallon jugs yesterday, same scan code, still not SN cert on the label. What is wrong with Mobile...

Maybe you need to find some "Mobil" Delvac esp 1 5W40. Ooop's my bad, I see the picture! Maybe its Mobile esp 1 5W40 that is SN rated...I hear am's oil is supposed to be the way to go!

Seems pretty stupid that Mobil does not list SN cert on the bottle of Delvac esp 1, this was new stock I was looking at North 40! They have had plenty of time to print some new labels! Like 2 years?

I think it might be time to dump some oil stocks, a little birdy told me that oil stocks and oil futures are poised to take hard drop, and might very well drag the whole market with it. it might be starting in a few days if it happens. China is poised to set it off by economic slowdown. Pair gains with losses....or buy puts!

I've mentioned a few times that Mobil sometimes has labelling messed up. The last generation of Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 (CJ-4/SM) had some of the wrong ACEA specs on there. For me, that's no big deal because I know which ones applied and which ones really didn't, but others may not. The labels were never corrected for the entire CJ-4 run.

I was just giving Snaggle a little jab!

Does not matter to me, I'm only using it in my Duramax, its my winter truck. I have 3, 5 gallon pails from last year that are CK/CJ/CI-4, ACEA E9-E7, no SM, or SN, no S period. They rate it SN on their website, but they don't designate it as an SN on any of their containers. Does not make any sense from a sales stand point, they might be able to sell more of this fluid if they would label the SN cert they claim it meets on their website. I'm more than sure many people are not as OCD about oil and do not read their website for spec's.

Snagglefoot runs it in I believe a 6.0 gm gas engine, I think he would feel more warm and fuzzy if they would take the time to print those two very difficult letters SN.

For sure, it happens.
wink.gif
The odd thing, and I'd have to check any empties I might have just to be sure, but I'm fairly positive the ACEA error went across the label change from the original CJ-4/SM labels to the ones they were using up here in the end, too. I can't say if they were on the American bottles, though.

Curios, so I scan the QR and read the specs. Why do oil companies compare 15W40 to 5W40? Apples to Oranges. I always note that they don't say compare it to a competitor:
Rotella T8 5W40, etc. Amsoil is the worst.

Comparing one 5w-40 to another is great, but the reason they compare 5w-40 to 15w-40 is they're trying to sell the product as enhanced fuel economy over the 15w-40. The last time a company compared their 5w-40 to a 5w-40 from one competitor and a 5w-40 from another competitor, their paper resulting in a lot of hand waving as to why their 5w-40 had less impressive base stocks.

If you want a fleet to buy 5w-40 over 15w-40, money saving is the way to make the sale. They're not going to care whether the oil is based upon PAO or a mixture of ketchup and mustard, as long as it does the job and does it at a better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back