Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W40 CK-4 VOA

This is supposed to be the "best" of the Delvac 1 lineup, definitely the most expensive.

I am a little surprised at the lack of Boron, Moly, and Magnesium. Lower than I would like on phosphorus considering it's also on Ford's approved list. Supposed to be 11 TBN, Blackstone says~7. Did they run the right sample?? Odd. who knows.

Any thoughts

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-16-17-41-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-16-17-41-19.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
All the z/p/ca that one could ever need. No need for fillers to make up for the lack of z/p/ca. Had to say it 🤣

Delvac line is top notch.

I would happily run in my 240s but for the price. I’ve never seen Delvac on clearance.

My current stash of T6 0W40 cost less than $.50/quart.

I would happily run in my 240s but for the price. I’ve never seen Delvac on clearance.

My current stash of T6 0W40 cost less than $.50/quart.
About the only oil I have noticed give a dramatic improvement in an Heui injection system or significant change at all for that matter. Supposed to be a great oil, used year round in equipment.

Definitely not inexpensive, about the costliest I've come across wholesale. Not heavy on additives, thats why I'm so surprised by the cost. Supposed to different animal from the old formula 0w40.

Maybe not “the best Delvac ” for all applications. I have ~38 US gal of Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 in my basement (sump of U500 = 7.4gal, burns 1L/2500 miles since new, it’s a ways to Mongolia and back).
VOA shows Mg 27, Ca 4800, P 1280, Zn 1489, B 279, vis100 14.2, TBN 15.2.
Obviously not equipped with DPF, SCR, AdBlue. Last trip was 25600 miles and UOA had TBN 11.5 (despite 300-3000ppm S fuel in Russia/Mongolia), 44ppm Fe, 4ppm Al.

Maybe not “the best Delvac ” for all applications. I have ~38 US gal of Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 in my basement (sump of U500 = 7.4gal, burns 1L/2500 miles since new, it’s a ways to Mongolia and back).
VOA shows Mg 27, Ca 4800, P 1280, Zn 1489, B 279, vis100 14.2, TBN 15.2.
Obviously not equipped with DPF, SCR, AdBlue. Last trip was 25600 miles and UOA had TBN 11.5 (despite 300-3000ppm S fuel in Russia/Mongolia), 44ppm Fe, 4ppm Al.
You're right. I think I want that one! I wouldn't own a modern emissions controlled diesel anyway so that oil would be great.
We have a fleet of them at the company I work for in all classes and they all have issues wih the Dpf's, engines, etc.; Tows, limping home at 15mph.. no thanks.

Roger about clean diesels. The pollutant that matters if you don’t live in a big urban area (98% of my Unimog driving is outside big cities, and 100% of my BMW X5/35d driving is around a quite small city with unpolluted air except for volcanic eruptions and forest fires) is, of course, CO2.
And no ICE engine emits less CO2 than an electronically controlled diesel without DPF, and preferably without EGR (reduces black carbon emissions compared to +EGR; black carbon reduces albedo of Greenland ice sheet).
Anyways, I got D1SHC 5W40 from my local Anchorage Mobil lube distributor. No added cost for shipping. It’s sold in USA mainly to inland shipping users, like Mississippi basin river barges, for mains or auxiliaries.
A caution or two. My last batch was $38/US gallon. I don’t pay attention to posts bragging about getting something at Walmart on close-out for $0.50/qt. Yes an oil change costs $281 in oil. Don’t care, if I can literally drive around planet on it.
And it has sulfated ash = 1.9%. Pre 2007 Mercedes diesels are fine with that, it’s the only MB228.5 5W40 I could source in North America. But most American pre 2007 diesels call for 1.5% or less. And lastly, certain common American diesels (all the Fords with HEUI for example, like later 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and deleted 6.7s) need ultra short OCI due to shearing by the HEUI injectors.
My engine (OM906LA) has an early VW-like PLD camshaft/pushrod powered, electronically actuated unit injector system. Unlike VW doesn’t eat cam lobes, has roller lifters for injectors but simple solid lifters for 2 intakes (1 pushrod with bridge) and 1 exhaust. Standard Jake like exhaust brake 4th valve (but QUIET) pneumatic actuated.
So don’t use it unless 1.9% ash OK.
If you want 1.5% ash oil with high TBN and good Zn/P there’s 3 North American boutique brands I can recommend.
Not for oil cheapskates.

Last edited:
@m37charlie: I’m honored you mentioned my frugal oil buying habits. Being called a cheapskate by a person I follow and admire is sort of cool. Thanks!

Sam

Roger about clean diesels. The pollutant that matters if you don’t live in a big urban area (98% of my Unimog driving is outside big cities, and 100% of my BMW X5/35d driving is around a quite small city with unpolluted air except for volcanic eruptions and forest fires) is, of course, CO2.
And no ICE engine emits less CO2 than an electronically controlled diesel without DPF, and preferably without EGR (reduces black carbon emissions compared to +EGR; black carbon reduces albedo of Greenland ice sheet).
Anyways, I got D1SHC 5W40 from my local Anchorage Mobil lube distributor. No added cost for shipping. It’s sold in USA mainly to inland shipping users, like Mississippi basin river barges, for mains or auxiliaries.
A caution or two. My last batch was $38/US gallon. I don’t pay attention to posts bragging about getting something at Walmart on close-out for $0.50/qt. Yes an oil change costs $281 in oil. Don’t care, if I can literally drive around planet on it.
And it has sulfated ash = 1.9%. Pre 2007 Mercedes diesels are fine with that, it’s the only MB228.5 5W40 I could source in North America. But most American pre 2007 diesels call for 1.5% or less. And lastly, certain common American diesels (all the Fords with HEUI for example, like later 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and deleted 6.7s) need ultra short OCI due to shearing by the HEUI injectors.
My engine (OM906LA) has an early VW-like PLD camshaft/pushrod powered, electronically actuated unit injector system. Unlike VW doesn’t eat cam lobes, has roller lifters for injectors but simple solid lifters for 2 intakes (1 pushrod with bridge) and 1 exhaust. Standard Jake like exhaust brake 4th valve (but QUIET) pneumatic actuated.
If you want 1.5% ash oil with high TBN and good Zn/P there’s 3 North American boutique brands I can recommend.
Not for oil cheapskates.
The oil in this thread (Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40) has an ash value of 1%, not the lowest of low but lower than the one you're mentioning. The easier to find Delvac 1 5W-40 is also 1% ash.

The oil in this thread (Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40) has an ash value of 1%, not the lowest of low but lower than the one you're mentioning. The easier to find Delvac 1 5W-40 is also 1% ash.
Actually the D1 you mentioned in the last line is Delvac 1 ESP 5W40. Let’s be accurate.
Delvac 1 5W40 (without the ESP or SHC) is 1.4% with a stated TBN of 12; SHC is 16; ESP and other emission control variants are lower, as low as 7.
The “plain” D1 5W40 is what I originally started using but has been unobtainium in North America for over a decade. I found SHC after considerable digging.

Reactions: a5m
Actually the D1 you mentioned in the last line is Delvac 1 ESP 5W40. Let’s be accurate.
Delvac 1 5W40 (without the ESP or SHC) is 1.4% with a stated TBN of 12; SHC is 16; ESP and other emission control variants are lower, as low as 7.
The “plain” D1 5W40 is what I originally started using but has been unobtainium in North America for over a decade. I found SHC after considerable digging.
Yes sorry I left off "ESP" on my 5W-40 example. But both the Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 and the Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 are 1% ash per ExxonMobil. FWIW NAPA is currently running a sale on the 5W-40 version @ $20 for 4 quarts.

Not for oil cheapskates.
Interesting, I'll take a look and see what the availability is from my suppliers.

Fyi, I have over 1.5 million miles on my personal 7.3 powerstrokes and do 10-15k ocis on 5w40 and 0w40's with little to no sheering. The 6.0s sheered oil badly and it seems to be a common thought that 7.3s do as well, but, it has not been my experience at all. The ash shouldn't bother the 7.3s or my 95 e300d. The only thing that bothered the 7.3s was when I tried 10w30 oil with a little lower hths, lead increased on two ocis. I had the best uoas when penzoil long life 15w40 used to be available.

Back