cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854

Does anybody have more specs on this oil? Any opinions, experiences with it in gas engines?

HT/HS of 4.1. This is probably Mobil's strongest oil. Many people really like this oil. It's great for gas engines that call for a 40wt. Very shear stable and strong detergents. You can use it to wash your hair too. Good stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Any idea why it's marketed only as an oil for diesel engines?

Because that's the market. There are almost no gasoline engines since 1993 where the manufacturer has recommended a 40 wt. oil, and ExxonMobil isn't going to risk legal exposure by marketing anything contrary to the manufacturer's spec.

Ken

quote:

Because that's the market. There are almost no gasoline engines since 1993 where the manufacturer has recommended a 40 wt. oil, and ExxonMobil isn't going to risk legal exposure by marketing anything contrary to the manufacturer's spec.

Of course, it makes sense that Mobil will market a product only towards approved applications.

Interestingly, many European gas engines do use 5W-40 oil (even after '93). Does anything speak against using Delvac 1 5W-40 in a gas engine that should (according to the car maker) use 5W-40?

Looking at the specs, this oil seems at least interesting. Could there be concerns regarding seal compatibility?

Indeed, it says it's for high perfomance gas engines, too. Could the higher detergent content cause fouling of the spark plugs, though? Or is that only a concern with platinum plugs (which I do not use)?

Hi,
I have had extensive experience with Delvac 1 in heavy diesels. Some millions of kms and hundreds of UOAs
It is an extremely good product and well suited to petrol engines
It is in my MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 fitted with Bosch platinum plugs ( old style single electrode )
Delvac 1 maintains viscosity like no other I have run one engine out to 120000kms without an OC - on the UOA it was suitable for further use. It was my call to change it
Regards

Is that some sort of sleeper oil (at least for gas engines)?
wink.gif

With all the positive feedback I wonder if I should try it my 2.8 Audi engine.

Doug

D1 also tops the TFOUT (Thin Film Oxygen Uptake Test, ASTM D-4742) with 905 (CG version) and 829 (CH version). Interesting that Royal Purple Long Rider was 2nd at 701. Figures from 4th Jan 2001 sheets I have so maybe changed somewhat now. Also Subaru just replaced my clutch for free on my OB some 6mths out of warranty. You have to love these guys IMO!

Hi Sprintman,
thanks for the info. Just changed the Delvac 1 today before I head off for Brisbane at 4.00 am tomorrow
I used an OEM filter this time instead of a "pattern" part as I was getting a delay in oil pressure at start up
The Outback sits idle for a couple of weeks each time I'm here at Airlie as I only use it for business. The BM and the 928 get to "play" up here in the tropics

I think that is really great news about getting the clutch under warranty - mine has always been a bit "shuddery" but you get used to it. Was that your problem ?

Regards and thanks

Hi,I just put about 5k highway miles on D-1 in a '99 Ford E-150 Van with a 4.2L six.It did not take any makeup oil.With Castrol Syntec 5w-50, it took 1/2 qt for similar miles and driving.I'll get a UOA shortly to compare.
Ron
cool.gif

How would this oil work in a 22re Toyota 4cyl. that uses a qt every 1000 miles or so? Engine has 130,000 miles on it.

Why is it that people are concerned about combustion chamber deposits in fleet oils but Amsoil and Redline oils have equal if not higher levels of additives "which is why IMO they work so well"

quote:

Why is it that people are concerned about combustion chamber deposits in fleet oils but Amsoil and Redline oils have equal if not higher levels of additives "which is why IMO they work so well"

I don't know about other people, but I'm not worried about combustion chamber deposits with a fleet oil. I'm worried the detergents might foul the plugs. And there is something regarding a high phosphorus content that may not be good for gas engines/catalytic converters?

Doug

Not under warranty, but 6mths after warranty finished. Endemic Subaru clutch shudder. New part no's dealer told me. Just so much better than the original. Get it done its worth it IMO.

Did your Subaru dealer experience the clutch shudder first hand or just go by your word on it?
Often times people have clutch shudder problems thatthey can't duplicate when they take it to the dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Rando:
How would this oil work in a 22re Toyota 4cyl. that uses a qt every 1000 miles or so? Engine has 130,000 miles on it.

I'm sure it will cut down your oil consumption. But it will probably not cut it in half. I the same engine and right now I am running the Rotella T Syn. Mine uses a quart every 3 or 4 K miles with the Rotella. If I were you I wouldn't spend the $5.50 for the Delvac 1. I used the Rotella bc it was on sale at Wally World,

Why not go with the Delvac 1300??

[ August 05, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

I'm coming back to whether I should consider using Delvac 1 5W-40 in my 2.8 12v Audi gas engine.

Someone told me I should not use Delvac, because an oil that is made primarily for diesel motors will not be able to neutralize enough acid. I was under the impression oil for diesel engines was actaully better at neutralizing acids? Not to mention that Delvac 1 5W-40 is not exclusively meant to be used in diesel engines. I also heard that Delvac 1 did not contain adequate friction modifiers. Can someone please clarify?

harrydog dealer took my word it shuddered. Theres a TSB for it in the US unlike here.

Moribundman D1 is CI-4 and SL. Used by many in gasoline engines (SL) and one of the best oils around period. I've used it in several vehicles, it should neutralized acids well as it has good TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back