Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using it in my 98 Toyota Tacoma V6 and 01 Corolla 4cyl for about 2 years now. Have been going about 10,000 miles on average between changes with no issues and have read of people going 16,000. It is a premium heavy duty oil intended primarily for diesel engine use but has a gas rating also. It isn't stamped with the "Energy Conserving" designation like most passenger car only products which is only a phosphorus content difference I think. It states that it will provide fuel economy, which I can't verify and is designed for extended drain intervals, which is what I wanted. I don't see any problem with using it at 1500 miles.

Hi Ford,
I noticed that your Corolla is still under warranty.
Where do you do your oil changes with D1?
I want to use D1 in one of my cars but need oil change receipts so my warranty claims would not be denied in the future.
Thanks

Hi,just put Delvac-1 in my Ford E150 van. I'll run it about 6k miles this summer. Hope to compare the Blackstone numbers to Castrol Syntec 5w50. IF, this is the better Mobil synthetic oil,why don't they market it strongly for gas vehicles?The cost is M1 similar,but it's not at the local parts shop.
grin.gif

I,m old fashioned in my opinion on new motors , I like to do a few short milage oil changes to get the break and in assembly crud out.

[ May 22, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

I just started using it on a vehicle that has had M1 10W-30.

1. You will get less economy with a 40 wt. oil
2. I think the wear numbers will be better than M1 because of its viscosity and additive package-this is a guess. I am testing the stuff.
3. It has a higher level of Phosphorus.
4. It is probably good for more extended drain intervals than the M1. Momil has tested it beyond 80K miles on trucks. (With very large oil reservoirs)
5. I would be leary of using it on a very new vehicle. My reason is that in the past-break-in oil was a lighter viscosity. My understanding is that piston rings will break-in better with a lighter oil. On the other hand the rings are probably broken in by the time you get the vehicle home with modern machining practices.

Thank you for your responses. In lieu of the low mileage that my vehicle has I think I'll defer putting Delvac 1 in it until maybe 10k miles. However I will try Delvac 1 in my other vehicle (98 Trooper - 63k miles) and see what happens. Currently it's on Mobil 1 5w30 but I seem to notice that the oil pressure gauge is showing very low pressure. This always happens about 1k miles into the oil change. I keep checking the stick and sure enough I have to add maybe not even a 4th of a quart but still the low pressure indications. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm hoping to get a different reading with the Delvac product. I will hit up the UOA board on how to do conduct an analysis (my first). Don't know the procedures or the people to contact yet but will research into it. Once again thanks.
smile.gif

It's very good stuff. Probably the best oil Mobil makes. It's completely different from M-1. It can readily last for any "severe" service interval. Will not help with fuel economy over a 30 weight. Not sure I would bother recommending it for a new engine, but why not. It will clean better than other oils. It generally costs ~1.5 times M-1 and is not available in qt. bottles (as far as I know).

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
Hi Ford,
I noticed that your Corolla is still under warranty.
Where do you do your oil changes with D1?
I want to use D1 in one of my cars but need oil change receipts so my warranty claims would not be denied in the future.
Thanks

...Do them right in my driveway. I have never really considered warranty concerns after owning 6 Toyota vehicles in the past 20 years or so, with no mechanical issues of any kind. Would they really deny a claim due to type of motor oil used? I wonder if it is more a matter of just keeping receipts of OEM filters purchased and record of regular oil changes. I guess I'd be S.O.L. then too as I use Bosch oil filters on both my vehicles.

Delvac 1 is said by some to be the best oil Mobil makes. I'm not so sure though that this holds true for gas engines. I know it can be used in gas engines, but it lacks FM's of the SS. It is phenomenal in diesel engines, but in gas I havn't seen enough UOA. Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

Thanks Ford,
Whan the Toyota sludge fiasco surfaced, Toyota voided warranty if owners could not produce oil change receipts. I know that Toyota had to backpedal on it, but they still require proof of oil change once a year for the extended sludge warranty. This makes me extra anxious about having receipts, especially for my Corolla.
I was actually thinking about D1 for my Subaru, which sees some towing but it is still under drivetrain warranty.
Thanks

kiko,

Very low oil pressure could cause a problem. I doubt changing brands of oil will help. You might want to check to see if the gauge is correct and find out what the correct pressure should be. If the pump is having problems or something is becoming plugged you could ruin the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
It's very good stuff. Probably the best oil Mobil makes. It's completely different from M-1.

Completely different? In what way?

Okay guys. This has probably been covered in another post but I'll ask anyway. What is the gist on the Delvac 1 5w-40? Is it good? Is it bad? Can I use it in a new car with 1,500 miles even though the specs ask for 5w-30? Does it help with gas mileage? Anything else you want to throw in? Thanks.

I'm learning so much from this board that I find it difficult to choose which oil to use now. There's so many good oils I've read about and I want to try them all out. I guess I'll start with the Delvac.

Thank you.

Kiko
smile.gif

Yeah I really don't know. I know it smells completely different from the SS. And although I'm not a chemist by a long shot...there's something in D-1 that allows it to hold up a very long time. A friend of mine is doing 15k mi. intervals in his BMW only changing the filter at 7.5k.. I think the drain intervals for big rigs is like 60-100k mi....you can't do this type of interval with SS or any other OTC oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Yeah I really don't know. I know it smells completely different from the SS. And although I'm not a chemist by a long shot...there's something in D-1 that allows it to hold up a very long time. A friend of mine is doing 15k mi. intervals in his BMW only changing the filter at 7.5k.. I think the drain intervals for big rigs is like 60-100k mi....you can't do this type of interval with SS or any other OTC oil.

The main thing that allows such long drain intervals on big trucks is their HUGE sump capacity and regular UOAs.

Keep in mind that BMW's LongLife spec, MB's 229.5, and Porsche's spec all allow for drain intervals up to 15,000 miles. Mobil 1 0w40 meets all these specs. And all of the engines in these cars have rather large sump capacities.

Also, the current LS1 test on Mobil 1 is showing that regular ol' Mobil 1 5w30 is holding up pretty good. It may indeed go 15,000 miles in this application.

quote:

Very low oil pressure could cause a problem

White03,

It's not constantly showing low oil pressure. However after running the car for a while the gauge will display lower pressure. At times it is normal. Weird huh? Anyway I agree that changing oil types will take care of any problems so I might have it checked out in the very near future. Car's running great though. Just dumped 12 oz. of auto-rx in it. I don't have sludge problems per se but I'd like to clean the engine and keep it that way if I can. Thanks for all your replies. It looks like I'll be trying out the Delvac 1 product at the auto-rx treatment.

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by friendly_jacek:
Thanks Ford,
Whan the Toyota sludge fiasco surfaced, Toyota voided warranty if owners could not produce oil change receipts. I know that Toyota had to backpedal on it, but they still require proof of oil change once a year for the extended sludge warranty. This makes me extra anxious about having receipts, especially for my Corolla.
I was actually thinking about D1 for my Subaru, which sees some towing but it is still under drivetrain warranty.
Thanks

I'm just going from memory on what I've read but wasn't/isn't the sludge issue only with the Previa and Camry? I don't think there was ever any sludge issues with the Corolla, was there? You can safely use the Delvac 1 I'm sure. Just buy OEM filters and keep the receipts if you're concerned.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Also, the current LS1 test on Mobil 1 is showing that regular ol' Mobil 1 5w30 is holding up pretty good. It may indeed go 15,000 miles in this application.

Which goes to show that GM's maximum recommendation of one year/15k on the new Corvettes isn't too far out of line! The LS1 in the Corvettes have a bigger oil capacity too (6.5 quarts vs 5.5 for the f-body)

quote:

Originally posted by 7TFord:
I have never really considered warranty concerns after owning 6 Toyota vehicles in the past 20 years or so, with no mechanical issues of any kind. Would they really deny a claim due to type of motor oil used?

Toyota would deny a claim even if you religiously went to the dealer:
"My engine died at 14,000 miles. Even though I did all my oil changes at the dealer every 3000 miles, they refuse to replace the engine under warranty." source: consumeraffairs.org

If manufacturers can deny coverage even whe you used *their* oil and *their* service, what do you think will happen when you walk in and say, "I did all the work myself"? THIS:

"1999 Camry with 23,500 miles, all service performed (only once at Toyota dealership). They say I have sludge in engine and not covered by warranty because service not done at Toyota. The manual does not call for service to be done at Toyota. I have receipts. Verbally quoted a price of $3,300 to repair."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back