Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 in 3.4V6 Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4wd 3.4V6 since 11k miles. It now has 30k with pretty good analysis results.

I live in Northern Georgia where temps range from 0-100.

Questions:
1- Would this oil HARM my engine/ reduce engine life in ANY way?
2- Approx what kind of effect could I expect to see with this oil?
3- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Would this oil INCREASE my engine life/ help motor?
4- ANY ADVERSE things I should expect?

5- Do you recommend staying with Mobil 1 5W-30 or going to Delvac 1 5W-40?

Driving is about 60-70% highway 75-80mph.

THANKS

Questions:
1- Would this oil HARM my engine/ reduce engine life in ANY way?

No

2- Approx what kind of effect could I expect to see with this oil?

Hmmm...possibly increased engine cleanliness, not as efficient cold (really cold) starting, and a small decrease in fuel economy.

3- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Would this oil INCREASE my engine life/ help motor?

Do you run hard, or tow, etc, etc...? The thicker oil film could help when you pushing hard, but otherwise, I think the benefits would be minimal in terms of engine life

4- ANY ADVERSE things I should expect?

Your in GA, so I don't see the cold start issue being an issue at all...but remember, you would have a significantly thicker oil film at operating temperatures (approx. 10cSt vs. 15cSt) which will increase drag and thus decreasing efficency thus decreasing fuel economy as well. Not much though...

5- Do you recommend staying with Mobil 1 5W-30 or going to Delvac 1 5W-40?

Looking for REALLY long oil drain intervals?
Want super-duper engine cleanliness?
Run your truck really hard?

Otherwise, "regular" Mobil1 would serve you well, although I'd recommend 10w-30 Mobil1 with a good, high-flow oil filter (and make sure your oil filter is doing a very good job!)
grin.gif

I dont run too hard. Usually shift at 2500-3000 rpm. At 80 on highwya I am at 3k rpm's. VERY rarely hit above 4k =. Truck has never seen redline. Only thing I tow is a 1500lb boat about 2 times a week no more than 25 miles each way.

Not looking for extrememly long intervals...MAYBE 10k miles.

I currently change every 5k miles. Recently did three UOA with Mobil 1 5W-30 at 5k intervals with oversized MOBIL 1, OEM, and WIX filters. Best results were with WIX< but it was last and breakin numbers might have effected first two.

Currently run oversized WIX. Gonna go 7500 this time and get Terry Dyson analysis to see if it is safe to stay 7500 with this oil.

MAIN thing I am looking for is BEST oil for life of my motor.

Thanks

Only thing else I can tell you at this point Scoob is to give it a try. If analysis shows better numbers with Delvac1, then continue on with use...
cheers.gif

Give it a try. It definately will not hurt the engine in any way! I think that I would definately consider much thicker oil dureing summer then 5W30 in your enviroment.

quote:

Originally posted by Scooby:
*-*-*-*-*-*-Do you recommend staying with Mobil 1 5W-30 or going to Delvac 1 5W-40?
-*-*-*-*-

Go for it, give it a whirl.

I have been doing a recent test with just a Straight 30, and will probably do another to get the rest of the Si out (think I found the source), but I have a 1997 TACO 2.4 4Cyl. and have for most of it's life except initial 30K break-in used a 30w with a VI boost in the mid to high 40 Range, and she (my truck) likes the mid to higher 40w oil, in both MPG and consumption issues, and on top of that the valves sound quieter. IMO, I think Toyo-trucks like the heavy 30's to mid-heavy 40's.

I think another consideration would be the sludge prone nature of Toyota V6's.
I am uncertain if has been fixed or not by 2002 ( guys?), but if not the hi detergnecy of a diesel rated oil should be helpful in this regard.

Fred...
smile.gif

Scooby,

No sludging or oil gelling issues in the 3.4L toyota engine - the analysis tests I've seen have shown excellent numbers. If you are changing every 5000-6000 miles, I'd stick with the less expensive Mobil 1, 10w-30.

I'd go synthetic in the gear boxes as well ....I run the Amsoil gear lube in my Tacoma, but the Redline MT-90 is also very good. You want to make sure the stuff used for the rear axle meets GL-5 specifications.

TS

I had a 97 Runner w/ the 3.4 that I sold w/ 101k. I used Mobil 1 10W30 with 8k intervals. No UOA, but all seemed well. Ran just as good when sold as when new. The last oil I put in her was Schaeffers #703, the 10W30 blend. I was going to go 8k on that as well. It may have been my imagination, but I think the engine liked the Schaeffers better than Mobil 1.

Sounds like your truck will go 200+k with any REASONABLE OC interval.

Happy Motoring,

Jack

Tooslick:
I changed out the tranny, transfer case, and diffs at 15k. Put MOBIL 1 in the diffs, and Redline in the tranny and transfer case.

I know Mobil 1 will do, but looking for the best option for my motor. I gotta call it quitts at some point. I have been having analysis done 4 out of last 5 oil changes because I was running different filters. Kinda got a little expensive. I may look at running Delvac 1 at around 100k miles and do analysis to see how long I can run. May even look into bypass filter setup as well. I would love to be able to run around 15k mile interval if possible. BUt I also need this engine/ truck to last 200k MINIMUM.

Thanks for the comments.

I don't see how you could hurt anythign running Delvac 1. I'd like to try it in something but around here the closest point of purchace is 50 miles away. I'd like to see a UOA of it that had run about 10K in the Toyota 3.4L engine.

I have this same engine and have been using Mobil 1 5w-30 as you have. My first UOA looked good after 10K miles on the oil and 50K on the engine. When I changed I used the same weight M1 again but added 3oz of Auto-RX and some Schaeffers #132. I'm going to run that 10K miles and see how it compares to my first anaylsis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back