Mobil conventional D/M viscosity index higher than Mobil 1 ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a question?
If this helps...
Mobil 1 is more shear stable. And M1 is also a bit more robust to start with in its KV @ 40c/100c degrees so, it'll maintain its stability longer as well as being a full synthetic while the M-D/M makes no claim of being anything other than conventional fluid(not even a blend).

I've used D/M in the past, as PSF for a Tacoma calling for Dex II/III, worked fine. Purchased at Target many year ago. It's now it's become scarce to impossible to find. Likely because Dex VI and all the ATFs that are synthetic based like M1 and the MV ATFs like MaxLife and Castrol Full Synthetic MV are appropriate and recommended for older DexII/III applications.

If you're looking for a more detailed explanation it can be found in the link. As noted, primary reason is synthetic ATFs significantly greater sheer stability over the mineral based ATFs like Dex/II/III, Mobil D/M.

Improvements in Dexron VI over Dexron III.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Do you have a question?
If this helps...
Mobil 1 is more shear stable. And M1 is also a bit more robust to start with in its KV @ 40c/100c degrees so, it'll maintain its stability longer as well as being a full synthetic while the M-D/M makes no claim of being anything other than conventional fluid(not even a blend).

I thought it odd that the conventional fluid would have a higher VI than the same manufacturers synthetic product. I suppose since the base oil VI of Mobil 1 ATF is acceptable without VI index improver additives, they at fine with that VI. The conventional product requires VI improvers, so the resulting fluid ends up with a higher VI than the synthetic, but at the cost of shearing potential. There must be a reason they don't use less VI improvers in the conventional fluid, even though it logically appears that this fluid would end up more shear stable, maybe it isn't so.

Dex III has a reputation for shearing, leading many to recommend Dex VI, which is thinner, but more shear stable. It seems that manufacturers have designed and continue to make a product using additives that predictably will shear, possibly out of grade. To this layman, it seems a better course would be less VI improver and a lower as blended VI. It does look good on the data sheet, which could be attractive to buyers, but very few customers know what VI is and ever see a data sheet.

Good point indeed. However, I think that very few customers would even bother to look nor understand what they'd be looking at in terms of VI or any other spec. We in this community would but the layman wouldn't have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back