Mobil Clean 7500 Honda Accord 2.4L 9130 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my second cycle with this oil. From the first cycle results I decided to go with the Honda recommended 10,000 mi OCI. I cut it short at 9130 because the end of my vacation was a convenient time to change the oil. The TBN was 2.1 so this oil can go the Honda 10,000 OCI. Maybe Honda does have a clue when they recommend 10,000 miles on dino.

Maybe wanmichael or someone else can help me load the pdf file

9/03/06
OCI 9130 mi
Total mi 18914 mi

Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iron 10
Copper 9
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 117
Manganese 1
Boron 24
Silicon 14
Sodium 227
Calcium 1691
Magnesium 5
Phos 531
Zinc 639

Other values 0

SUS Visc. 52.4
Flash Pt. 380
Fuel Antifreeze ?
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.2

TBN 2.1

Blackstone Comments:

We aren't fans of this type oil since the main identifier of anti-freeze in the oil is sodium. When sodium shows up at this level routinely, it can mask a minor anti-freeze seep into the oil. We did turn up a trace of potassium, so while we aren't ready to suggest you are getting anti-freeze into the oil, we can't be positive your aren't either. Wear metals are coming down nicely and there was no moisture in this oil. The oil was physically correct for a 5W/20. The TBN was 2.1, so there is life left in the oil after the 9,130 mile use. Go on up to 10,000 next sample.

I forgot to describe usage. The car travels to work only once a week or less, 115 easy highway miles. About half the total miles are local traffic. The interval did include one 1500 mile vacation to Maine. Mileage during the mostly highway vacation was 32-33 mpg.

quote:

Maybe ... someone ... can help me load the pdf file

Don't worry about it. You did it correctly. Look at the instructions at the top of this Section:

" Please type data.No outside links for data.ANALYSIS RESULTS ONLY! "

The reason is, when it is entered directly by typing it will be here permanently. If is is linked to an outside file it will at some point be lost or deleted. Now that you've gone through it once, use it from now on as a template and add or change the new data.
wink.gif

This is actually my second set of data. The first was posted back in february 2006. I tried to show both in this post but the formatting was so bad that all the numbers got mixed up to the point it was unintelligible.

9/03/06- 2/17(?)/06
OCI 9130 mi/5000 mi
Total mi 18914 mi/9884 mi

Aluminum 4/4
Chromium 1/1
Iron 10/12
Copper 9/10
Lead 0/1
Tin 0/1
Moly 117/141
Manganese 1/1
Boron 24/34
Silicon 14/20
Sodium 227/209
Calcium 1691/1652
Magnesium 5/6
Phos 531/574
Zinc 639/664

Other values 0

SUS Visc. 52.4/50.6
Flash Pt. 380/450
Fuel Antifreeze ?/0
Water 0.0/0
Insolubles 0.2/.3

TBN 2.1/3.5

dunno.gif

I have the same engine. The Honda 4bangers are among the best out there. As much as I like the RL 5w-20 I'm using now, it makes no sense to use it when this engine shows low wear on any brand. How much makeup oil was used if any?

There was no makeup required. The level never even got close to the low mark in the 9100 miles. I forgot to add that the filter was a Purolator Pure 1.

This oil is VERY marginal for a 10k OCI in this application. A small change in operating conditions and/or fuel quality and it would be completely spent by the end of the service interval.

The main drawback to running the oil right to the edge is that the lack of detergency generates engine deposits over time. This is not something that's obvious from a few UOA's, but eventually engine wear and performance will suffer.

For a bit more money, I'd use the regular Mobil 1, which has a stronger add pack and better detergency/dispersancy characteristics.

TS

Ted, you make a good point and it's one reason why I don't believe in extended drains with conventional oil. Over time, it could have an impact on performance. With many Honda's, fuel dilution and oil shearing are the two common issues you have to deal with. This is why it's also good to WOT the engine now and then, to keep it clean.

I would never push this oil past 7500 that the manufacture of the oil recomends. Rember though that this oil is a blend of GII and GIII and is considered a synthetic blend or semi-synthetic. So the statement about Honda and Dino + 10,000 mile oil recomendation in the opening post is not entirely accurate. Now if a group I or group I,II blend did this well or better that would be proff positive of dino+10,000 mile oil change.

Honda is smokeing a crack pipe if they think that 10,000 mile OCI and dino is best recomendation for their customers!!! Sure the first owner might not have any issues but the second and third guy will and for no good reason! They are just trying to keep initial cost of ownership numbers low by reduceing maintnece costs.

Regarding the accuracy of my statements:

1. Honda does recommends 10,000 miles OCIs. I own the car and the manual. I know it is in there.

2. The manual, does not specify 10K with synthetic only. The only requirement is that the oil have the API certification seal for gasoline engines. Honda has their own "Honda Genuine" oil, manufactured by Exxon/Mobil. (It says so right on the bottle) They do not advertise it as synthetic. I would assume Honda's OCI recommendation would include their own oil.

3. Given Honda's history, if they are smoking a crack pipe regarding lubrication, it must be some pretty good stuff. Maybe others should find out what they smoke.

quote:

Originally posted by Fernando R:
Regarding the accuracy of my statements:

1. Honda does recommends 10,000 miles OCIs. I own the car and the manual. I know it is in there.

2. The manual, does not specify 10K with synthetic only. The only requirement is that the oil have the API certification seal for gasoline engines. Honda has their own "Honda Genuine" oil, manufactured by Exxon/Mobil. (It says so right on the bottle) They do not advertise it as synthetic. I would assume Honda's OCI recommendation would include their own oil.

3. Given Honda's history, if they are smoking a crack pipe regarding lubrication, it must be some pretty good stuff. Maybe others should find out what they smoke.

Honda Inc does not care that the engine will be filthy-dirty at 140K - doing 10K OCIs on dino.

You must be planning on selling this vehicle prematurely. Otherwise, you would take better care of it.

Not seeing anything wrong with this UOA. Exactly what's wrong with a TBN of 2.0 remaining after more than 9000 miles from Blackstone?? TBN likely reads > 4.0 if it was tested by Oil Analyzers.

Wear is great, insolubles are low, flashpoint is OK, I don't see why you shouldn't continue what you're doing.

And, 777, prove to me how you are able to "tell" that this engine is "dirty."

Dr Wan,

A TBN of 4.0 from OAI WOULD typically be the lower limit I use for my personal vehicles running Amsoil. Anything below that and I'd generally change out the oil.

The other issue is that if the TBN is low on changeout, the next batch of oil you run will tend to become prematurely depleted from neutralizing the acidic residues left by the old lube. This is how you start to build deposits.

Is this limit of 2.0 from blackstone or 4.0 from other labs (using ASTM D-4739) conservative? You bet...but even the best synthetic oil is much less expensive than engines...
wink.gif

TS

Fernado, I did not say that they do not recomend a 10,000 miles oil change with dino oil. What I said is that they do not have the customer's best interest in mind! If you think 10,000 mile oil changes on dino are so great next time do not use a semi-synthetic blend like Mobil Clean 7500. I doubt that Walmart,Accell, or Costal oils would do this well. I would bet that if you continue to use 10,000 mile oil changes with dino oil you will see an extremly dirty engine by 100,000 miles!

I never said the owners manual specified anything at all!!! I could care less what the owners manual specifies. A book is a static thing and once the information is printed on the paper it is their for good and usualy out of date. History is full of examples of todays facts becomesing tomorrows fallacies.If all you are interested in is what the owners manual already has for given information why are you here?

I stand by my feeling that a 10,000 mile OCI with dino oil is not in the customers best interest especialy the second and third owners!A crack head of an engineer had to have come up with this or it was all marketing's doing!!!

I am sure that Honda has the down low on the best crack in Japan!!! They do build a quality product!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back