Mobil Clean 5000 - Decent Dino Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mobil Clean 5000 a decent dino oil? I'm using 5w-30 (recommended viscosity) in a 3.5L V6 and changing oil at 4,000 miles ... 5,000 max. Using NAPA Gold filter with it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It should be fine, lots of members here use it and like it.

thumbsup2.gif
what he said

Good stuff, my brother has used it in his 4.8 Silverado since new. Has 165k on it and the motor still runs like new.

I ran it in my 2007 HHR and the 2.2 engine in that car was a freak-- it ran really strong, so strong it molested the automatic transaxle, lol. But the HHR loved MC5000. I had it in my Forester before the most recent oilchange which i tried Havoline DS. I liked how the engine felt on MC5000 better, as far as responsiveness. But the MC5000, at least the 5W30 which is all I have experience with, did seem to allow a tiny bit more valve train noise than what I'm hearing with the Havoline.

The refinement level of the base oil in MC5000 is stated as being "Severely Refined" on the MSDS. Havoline DS's MSDS only states "Highly Refined."

Guys ... thanks for the info so far. Sounds like it's decent dino oil. I got a case of 5W-30 after rebate for something like 79 cents/qt.

So here's a question. Do you think Mobil Clean 5000 will keep the guts of the engine just as clean as if a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 was used? ... changing the MC 5000 at 5K or less miles of course.

I run full synthetic Mobil 1 in my other car and truck ... the one thing I love about full synthetic is that it seems to keep the inside of the engine clean as new.

If you're doing shorter OCI's. Yeah. It's not going to have strong detergents like the M1 HM's though if you plan on cleaning an already probably dirty engine.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
If you're doing shorter OCI's. Yeah. It's not going to have strong detergents like the M1 HM's though if you plan on cleaning an already probably dirty engine.

The car I'm running the MC5000 in only has 22K miles. If I look down inside the top of the head through the oil filler cap it looks brand new inside ... so its' currently clean as a whistle from what I can see. I bought the car used, and the records that the previous owner kept showed it always had a 3~4K oil/filter change ... but I think they always used conventional dino oil.

After I use this case of MC5000 I might consider switching to full synthetic and doing a once per year oil change. I typically only put about 7500/yr (or less) on my cars since I have 3 to rotate.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Is Mobil Clean 5000 a decent dino oil? I'm using 5w-30 (recommended viscosity) in a 3.5L V6 and changing oil at 4,000 miles ... 5,000 max. Using NAPA Gold filter with it.

Just a footnote: XOM is Honda's OEM motor oil supplier in the U.S. It's printed on the bottle. The stuff labled "Honda Motor Oil" is MC5K.

Originally Posted By: Gurney
Just a footnote: XOM is Honda's OEM motor oil supplier in the U.S. It's printed on the bottle. The stuff labled "Honda Motor Oil" is MC5K.

It used to be the Goodwrench oil supplied to GM Dealerships, too, a few yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back