Mobil clean 5000, any thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and it came up empty. Has anyone done analysis or have experience with Mobil clean 5000 oil? Im using it in my wifes 3800 Grand Prix and about to use it in my Avalanche. Was hoping to see some research on it.

I guess it's an OK oil. I'm not impressed with it considering price when Havoline/Chevron, Pennzoil, & Phillps Trop Artic/Motorcraft can perform the same most times for cheaper than the Mobil product. I think you're paying for the name.

And why use Sodium as an additive? Are Mobil dino's the only ones on the planet using that much sodium??

It's not proven that Motorcraft and Tropartic are the same oil. Maybe manufactured by the same company, Conoco but not exactly the same formulation.

I've got some Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 that I plan to use in my wife's Expedition. I really have no clue how "good" it is, but in my book it's really "good" because it was FREE.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by fred0803:
It's not proven that Motorcraft and Tropartic are the same oil. Maybe manufactured by the same company, Conoco but not exactly the same formulation.

The PDS sheets are exactly the same. The bottles on the shelves have the same wording. Like Motorcraft oil, you won't see an SM-rated Phillips TA 5w-30 bottle that does NOT say "synthetic blend" as that's what Conoco is supplying.

Conoco is Motorcraft's bottled-oil supplier. With the Conoco Phillips merger, Phillips oil bottles are now filled with Conoco's oil, "Hydroclear".

Yup, Superflo is the same (or VERY similar) and a lot cheaper! Good oil at a very good price. ($1.24 @ Wal-Mart, $1.49 @ Autozone)

Okay, am glad you said that about Trop artic. I just recall other posts debating that point about it's relationship with Motorcraft. My understanding is that they are close but some differences are there.
I bought 6 quarts of 5/30 TA to use instead of Motorcraft at Wallmart because there is a 50+ cents difference between the two. Enough to buy the filter.
So TA it is.

The clean 5000 is supposed to have a higher (16%) detergent and cleaner additive. I was hoping it would help with the CSK in my Avalanche's 5.3.

Don't count on ANY oil to clean an engine, SOme will run cleaner (leae less deposits by keeping contaminates in suspension than others. The clean 5000 and Exxon superflo are good conventional oils.

I like M5000. It's been suggested to be a Group III base. It's no uberoil, but used intelligently should be no worse than any other better conventional grade. And I've got a good stash of it at the best possible price - free.

I can't say I'd use M5000 alone for cleaning. No oil by itself will clean a dirty engine all that well. But it's great as an ARX or LC carrier.

Although Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1, Mobil accidently shows a new Corvette in their TV ad for Mobil 5000. It must be just an accident because Mobil would certainly not want to mislead the public, would they?

All these new names and products are part of better matching Mobil's products to the market. They don't want to confuse people with information so that have little catch phrases like, 'Drive Clean'. The newest line of engine products are going to be the Tree Hugger Line, with products named Clean Air 5000 and Sea Breese 7500 and Back to Nature 15000. That way people will know exactly what they are buying.

Is Mobil 5000 a good oil, sure, but don't go over 5k miles or something terrible is going to happen.

Dont fall for the 16% cleaning , just marking hype, Havoline can be had for 1.28 quart at advance auto. Havoline has a much better additive package than Mobil500,and has much better UOA than Mobil. I dont believe Mobil5000 is group 3 base stock. Group 3 stock can, thanks to castrol be called a full synthetic , dont believe for one second that EM out of the goodness of there heart,is going to sell group 3 for 1.68 a quart. Now my second choice would be VALVOLINE MAXLIFE, you can use 10w30 year long in your area.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
The PDS sheets are exactly the same. The bottles on the shelves have the same wording. Like Motorcraft oil, you won't see an SM-rated Phillips TA 5w-30 bottle that does NOT say "synthetic blend" as that's what Conoco is supplying.

Conoco is Motorcraft's bottled-oil supplier. With the Conoco Phillips merger, Phillips oil bottles are now filled with Conoco's oil, "Hydroclear".

Thats interesting....At my local Mazda dealer they use Motorcraft oil and the part number has the letters QSP after it. I always assumed that meant "Quaker State Product" but that was just as assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back